The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 09, 2023, 11:04:55 AM
Any good wheel cleaner recommendations?

My SSR wheels are starting to bronze on the Mazda, probably from the metallic hawk brake pads.  Have ceramic pads on order, would like my gun metal wheels back.

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 20, 2023, 10:50:54 AM
Been using this stuff for years and years.  $25/gallon, dilutes 4:1, so a gallon goes a long way.

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d140-combo.html

FoMoJo

What's the best way to remove encrusted salt from auto carpets?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Rent a sheep or goat to lick it
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 11, 2023, 02:15:10 PMWhat's the best way to remove encrusted salt from auto carpets?

Soak with carpet cleaner, scrub with a stiff-brissled carpet brush, vac, repeat until desired results are achieved.

Some say vinegar does a quicker job of dissolving it, but I'd never want to taint a car's carpet with the smell of vinegar. I'll gladly scrub away and leave a pleasant smell instead.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 11, 2023, 04:36:34 PMSoak with carpet cleaner, scrub with a stiff-brissled carpet brush, vac, repeat until desired results are achieved.

Some say vinegar does a quicker job of dissolving it, but I'd never want to taint a car's carpet with the smell of vinegar. I'll gladly scrub away and leave a pleasant smell instead.
No easy way then.  I was wondering if they made some special spray that easily dissolves the salt.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 11, 2023, 05:07:25 PMNo easy way then.  I was wondering if they made some special spray that easily dissolves the salt.

I'm sure it exists, but I've never bothered. I'm fine with using a little elbow grease and my go-to carpet cleaner instead paying for an expensive salt-specific product that I'd need to use very very frequently.

And if it isn't all that bad, carpet cleaner and a brush will really work just fine.  Scrubbing is going to be involved either way, like anything that's dirty and caked on.

To a similar point...most things inside your car can be cleaned exactly the same way you'd clean a similar surface in your house. It's not exactly rocket science, it's just in your car instead of in your home. :rockon:

FoMoJo

I thought that you might know of a product that would easily dissolve the salt scum without a lot of scrubbing.  I tried using carpet cleaner and a lot of scrubbing and, though it removed some of the salt, there still is quite a bit left imbedded in the carpet.  I usually don't mind doing a bit of scrubbing, but being of an age where joints tend to complain a lot in slightly awkward positions, I was hoping for and easier way of removing the salt.

giant_mtb

Is it like...to the point where it's basically like a piece of concrete embedded in the carpet? All stiff and shit? Pretty much nothing you can do at that point.

Have to never let it get to that point.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 11, 2023, 09:11:00 PMIs it like...to the point where it's basically like a piece of concrete embedded in the carpet? All stiff and shit? Pretty much nothing you can do at that point.

Have to never let it get to that point.
It was slowly coming off with the auto carpet cleaner and scrubbing, but I guess I can work at it a bit at a time.  It's just on the driver's side mainly near the gas pedal.

giant_mtb

That's the spot. :lol:

I see it every day. Well, almost...there's a reason most people around here have WeatherTechs or similar. People that don't end up wanting to shoot themselves in both feet.

Eye of the Tiger

It's amazing how many cars I work on that have no floor mats, or terrible floormats all slid under the pedals. I mean, fuck.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 12, 2023, 07:28:38 AMIt's amazing how many cars I work on that have no floor mats, or terrible floormats all slid under the pedals. I mean, fuck.

Whoever invented the floor mat clips 20+ years ago should be praised. And it's always worth a bit of extra money to get mats that clip into the floor correctly instead of buying generic mats
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 12, 2023, 08:36:36 AMWhoever invented the floor mat clips 20+ years ago should be praised. And it's always worth a bit of extra money to get mats that clip into the floor correctly instead of buying generic mats

I haaaaaaate generic Walmart floor mats. I had a lady the other day with a Corolla who was like "I bought the 'truck' floor mats for it because they're probably more durable." ...no, ma'am they do nothing more than the other generic mats. It's about coverage, not how thick the material is.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

MrH

Not sure if this is really detailing, but anyone have experiencing pulling a ding out?  I got this nasty one on the front end of the Bolt :cry:  I-75 is a warzone to commute on.

It looks about as bad as possible in this picture, because I tried to get the overhead light to hit it perfectly.  It's not too deep, but there's a decent sized chip in the middle.  Debating whether I try it using a cheap Amazon ding puller kit or not.  Do I touch up paint before or after trying to pull the ding?

Unfortunately, there's no access to the backside of it to help push.  I have a PDR guy, but it's a pain to schedule it, drop the car off, pickup, etc.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Never done it.

But I would apply touchup paint after pulling it out.

giant_mtb

Mom's Q5. 139,000 miles. Gave it its annual full detail today. Single-stage buff and a coat of wax. She's itching for a new vehicle, unsure of what she wants next. But dammit if this isn't the best-looking (paint condition wise) 139,000-mile black Q5 in existence. Helps when your son is a detailer and you buy him dinner once a week.  :ohyeah:

You cannot view this attachment. 

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

So a guy hit the town FB page said their detailing business is struggling for traffic and want to do more work. Does this sound reasonable for our Minivan? We bought it in 2019 and meant to get it cleaned but never have=

Sound's good, So the price will be $199 for complete Interior

What is included in the package....

• Sanitize, Disinfect & Deodorize
• Vacuum Carpets
• Trunk/Hatchback
• Clean & Dust
• Detail Dashboard Console
• Cupholders
• Ash Trays
• Door Pockets
• Deep Clean & Conditioning
• Leather or Fabric Seats
• Clean Headliner
• UV Protectant
• Wipe-down of all
• Leather or Vinyl
• Conditioner Restoring
• Shampoo Floor Mats
• Clean Vents
• Clean All Interior
• Compartments
• Air Freshener
Jaeona
Jaeona Adams
10$ to 30$ extra for pet hair deep saints depends on condition
Will

Morris Minor

I'd say it's reasonable for, what would for me be, the best part of a day's work. I would say no to the UV protectant unless it's a product that's worthwhile. No high gloss ArmorAll crap.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

That's a lot of words to say "everything will be cleaned."  Oh thank god you'll clean out the ash trays and cupholders, I thought that would cost extra!

AutobahnSHO

Well we're not very impressed. Seems like they just vacuumed/ steamed.

Everything is slick (leather seats, rubber floor mats) but not shiny, so I don't think they added any coating.

The stains in the backs of the seats are still there. But it's cleaner than it's been in a long time, so whatevs.

They didn't ask for any tip and the payment portal didn't have mechanism for one. 
Will

giant_mtb

Sounds like there's a reason that they're struggling for business.

Also as a side note, making things like floor mats "shiny" requires products that also make them slippery (plastic/vinyl/interior dressing is basically the same as tire shine, just packaged differently).  That's dangerous. I never dress rubber floor mats and happily explain to people why if they ask. Which they never do, because having things *clean* is what people actually care about...having things shiny for a week is nothing.

Also, I woulda done your van for $50 less and probably done a better job. :lol: Did they even do the door jambs? Critical to the overall presentation of a clean interior.

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

I didn't look.

And yeah it seems scummy to me now- they were on FB like they were just a husband/wife struggling but then I got texts from them and "their technician" who did the work.

2/10 will not pay again.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 26, 2023, 12:13:37 PMI didn't look.

And yeah it seems scummy to me now- they were on FB like they were just a husband/wife struggling but then I got texts from them and "their technician" who did the work.

2/10 will not pay again.

Yeah, never pay professional-level prices for some random "struggling" husband/wife team trying to make ends meet if you have no record (pictures) of their previous work.

I assume the van is still far cleaner than it was, but it just sounds like you weren't happy for the price. If they had priced themselves accordingly to the quality of the work, it would be no big deal.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 26, 2023, 03:55:18 PMYeah, never pay professional-level prices for some random "struggling" husband/wife team trying to make ends meet if you have no record (pictures) of their previous work.

I assume the van is still far cleaner than it was, but it just sounds like you weren't happy for the price. If they had priced themselves accordingly to the quality of the work, it would be no big deal.
I second this. I helped out a young & struggling guy here at the recommendation of a neighbor. WHen I got the car back it was clean enough... but the wax had been stripped & nothing else applied, like he'd washed it with dishwasher detergent or something.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 27, 2023, 07:19:12 AMI second this. I helped out a young & struggling guy here at the recommendation of a neighbor. WHen I got the car back it was clean enough... but the wax had been stripped & nothing else applied, like he'd washed it with dishwasher detergent or something.

Was he supposed to have waxed it? 

A decent wax that's still relatively fresh (no more than a couple months old) will stand up to a wash or two from Dawn dish soap no problem. If you're doing a really thorough wash (ie, degreasing bugs off the front/windshield, iron decon, clay bar/mitt) then no, it won't stand up to that and will need a refresh.