The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 07, 2017, 05:24:07 PM
What kind of vacuum do you use?

Just your standard "6hp" 12-gallon ShopVac.  And about four select attachments. Nothing fancy, but ShopVacs  (or any decent utility vac) get the job done.

I also have a hot water extractor for carpet/upholstery.  Previous generation of this guy:

giant_mtb

Cheap Chinese pressure washer and accessories are in.  Will try 'em out on tomorrow's specimen, a Buick Lucerne.

Also got to use the Collinite 845 Insulator Wax for the first time today.  Very pleased.  Goes on great, comes off easy, and left a good shine.  Can't speak for its durability yet, but it seems to have a good reputation.  Not that any wax/sealant/whatever will last through our 5-6 month winters, but something is always better than nothing.  A decent wax/sealant will get through a winter on the top half of the car, but the lower half that's always subjected to salt and spray...no chance.

giant_mtb

This stuff has some STANK to it, both literally and figuratively.  Happy I bought some...seemed a bit pricey, but it saved me a lot of time scrubbing on some wheels today.  Really caked-on, thick brake dust that my normal wheel cleaner (Meg's Wheel Brightener) can't really eat through...this stuff ate it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

MrH

So the S2000 had this old, musty smell when I bought it.  It kind of smelled like an old attic.  First step was the cabin air filter.  I don't think that had ever been changed, it was loaded with dirt and old leaves and things.  That helped with the smell of air coming in, but the cabin smell kind of lingered a little.

I had an air freshner in the car, but it just masked it.

I picked up one of these and used it the other day:

Worked really, really well.  The whole car has a slight hint of fresh laundry, but a little sweet.  I used the new car smell, but I wouldn't say that's what it really smells like.  Highly recommend it if your car stinks.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

I've had one of those sitting in my drawer for two years...never actually tried it. Glad to hear it works.  I'll have to try it. I'm most curious about the longevity of it.

giant_mtb

Been doing work for a local funeral home for about five years now.  They have a Cadillac hearse and a Chrysler Town & Country mini van.  Both silver.  Hearse is used for...obvious reasons.  The van is primarily used as their run-around and body pick-up vehicle.  I also do some of their personal vehicles.

Rich

I'm running without a clearcoat on the polished wheels, just wax. It's holding muuuuch better than I was worried about. Definitely the way to go for me.

I did the full monte on a neighbors miata. That paint was sooooo hard.... I didn't have a heavy enough polish to make headway into many of the scratches. It turns out it's been repainted. I guess some repaints have very hard paint/clearcoat? 

Anyway, that thing was a mess, probably not waxed for years. After polishing i put sealant on it, and then a layer of wax.

Pretty cool knowing the story behind the car too. Dude (Spanish) bought it in the US, brought it back with him to Spain, married his wife in the north and roadtripped back to Andalucia together as newlyweds back in the day. He said he's going to hang onto it and hopefully pass it on to one of his sons someday.   

I'd imagine that hearse has carried people with life stories that'd blow my mind. If only a car could talk...
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Today's project is an Impreza. The guy spilled a solid quart of Lucas Oil behind the drivers seat. FUCK.  How on earth am I gonna get this out. I told him I'd do my best.

Edit: used an ice scraper to scrape/scoop it up from the carpet into an empty plastic container. Pressure washer took care of the rubber floor mat well enough. I got 8-10oz of grease out of the carpet. Yuck.  The carpet is ruined, but at least it's not soupy anymore.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rich on April 14, 2017, 03:02:23 AM
I did the full monte on a neighbors miata. That paint was sooooo hard.... I didn't have a heavy enough polish to make headway into many of the scratches. It turns out it's been repainted. I guess some repaints have very hard paint/clearcoat? 

Were you polishing by hand?  That only goes so far, especially if the finish had been neglected for some time.

giant_mtb

Cleaned up my interior and bombed it with the Meguiar's thing. New car scent. Smells great.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 14, 2017, 06:03:55 PM
Cleaned up my interior and bombed it with the Meguiar's thing. New car scent. Smells great.
Too bad you're way over there.  My car could use a good cleaning.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 14, 2017, 06:11:50 PM
Too bad you're way over there.  My car could use a good cleaning.

I think it would be fun to outfit a Ford Transit or similar as a mobile detailing rig and travel around detailing down south during my northern off season.  Building up a reputation and customer base to do such a thing and not go broke is the biggest hurdle.

FoMoJo

Sounds like a good plan.  You can make a Spring trip out this way.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 14, 2017, 06:03:55 PM

I might try it. My car has a very garage-y smell (for obvious reasons).
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 14, 2017, 06:58:44 PM
I might try it. My car has a very garage-y smell (for obvious reasons).

Next time you're at Walmart or whatever, pick one up.  Cheap, worth a shot for a fresher smell.

I'm interested to see how long it lasts and how it tapers off.  I must say I like the smell Tacoma came with.  Brings back memories of the summer I got it.  Dawwww, now that smell's gone. 

Rich

I used a random orbital and chemical guys v34
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rich on April 15, 2017, 12:20:57 AM
I used a random orbital and chemical guys v34

That says to me that, yes, that clear was either really hard or there are imperfections under the clear...which isn't uncommon with a re-spray.

giant_mtb

This thing rocks.  They're missing a big market with us detailers.  Definitely my new favorite piece of equipment. 

68_427

Will that pull out the farts that sometimes escape from my butt pad at work if I move just right?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Something is wrong with my extractor.  The pump primes and pressurizes but nothing comes out of the wand. It could just be that the valve on the upholstery tool is fucked ($125, which happened to the OE tool after a solid couple years), or it could mean the whole machine is junk and I should just drop $4k for a steam cleaner, which could buy me 5 more of the extractor I have now lol..... fack. 

Edit:  Ordered an upholstery tool off Amazon for half the price of the OE tool.  Hopefully it's skookum enough.  Also got some new quick connect fittings as the ones on the machine/hose now are pretty stiff and a pain to work with after 4 years of being soaked in wet stuff.

giant_mtb

Detailing a fairly new (~20k miles) Tundra next week.  I just detailed the customer's truck (RAM) inside and out and then a week later he sends me a picture of a (basically) brand new Tundra.  I'm like, yeah, you bet I'll take more of your money!  Just gonna polish up the outside for him since the inside is pretty clean from the dealer.  Ordered some fresh Lake Country CCS foam pads, some Meg's glaze, and a couple other odds and ends.  Lake Country's gold jeweling pads are so nice...super soft and compliant for waxing, yet strong enough to last through a season of detailings.  I alternate between their black finishing and gold jeweling pad for waxing...no real reason.  Always happy with the bang for buck from Lake Country.

giant_mtb

My ShopVac is still going strong, just put a fresh hose on it the other day.  I noticed they had an industrial 2-stage utility vacuum at Menards.  Pricey, at $249, but it got me thinking about getting a 2-stage.  I don't know too much about vacuums, but it sounds like a 2-stage is considerably more powerful/reliable. 

Anyone have any experience with a 2-stage, industrial vacuum?  Compared to a standard ShopVac or similar?

This is the one at Menards: http://www.vacmaster.com/industrial-hepa-certified-wet-dry-vac-with-2-stage-motor/

Water lift is the true power test.

68_427

I'm gonna get one of those foamy things for a pressure washer.  I'm TURRIBLE at washing my car but it should at least make it more fun.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

I could do this all day.  Fuck, this could be a good travelling business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQSrCpoVVc

giant_mtb

Somebody I know has a white Rav-4.  Naturally, it was covered in rail dust after winter.  She went to the auto parts store for help, and the guy mixed her up some paint and told her to paint over it all. Now the lower portion of her car's paint is trashed since she just used a brushed and slapped it on.  She didn't know about rail dust until she asked me about and I said "yeah, that comes right off with an acid wash."

This is why you don't take advice from people at parts stores. 

Poor Ravvy.

veeman

Where I park at work the the covered multistory garage is something out of the 3rd world.  Cracked concrete everywhere, exposed wiring, etc.  Every time it rains, the decrepit paint or lime or some other white stuff drips onto my car.  A few people cover their cars with a cover everytime they park but I'm too lazy to do that.  What do you guys recommend to take that crap off?  I've been using apple cider or white vinegar and elbow grease and then pouring some water on it to get rid of the vinegar. 

giant_mtb

'07 with about 52k miles on it.  Interior feels cheap, but so does the interior of any 10 year old Ford.  The guy also has a '69(?) Mach 1 in his garage, and a new Taurus SHO.  He says the Mustangs are now the two slowest cars he owns because of it. :lol:

It was nice to detail something at least mildly interesting.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 19, 2017, 04:29:01 PM
'07 with about 52k miles on it.  Interior feels cheap, but so does the interior of any 10 year old Ford.  The guy also has a '69(?) Mach 1 in his garage, and a new Taurus SHO.  He says the Mustangs are now the two slowest cars he owns because of it. :lol:

It was nice to detail something at least mildly interesting.

The '69? Mach I would be a nice car to have.  The desirable ones would be the 351 Cleveland and the 428 CJ.  I had a '70 Mach I with a 351 Cleveland.

giant_mtb

If my photographic memory serves me right, his is a 351.  He put front disc brakes on it and modern seat belts.  Doesn't sound like he drives it much, though, since he's got the '07 and the Taurus SHO for traveling.

Said he might sell both 'Stangs and get a newer Shelby.