The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Gosh, one of my college roomies sent a message to the group chat like "hey guys, game changing product I just tried."  Sud Factory Water Spot Remover.  Knew exactly what it was because I get ads for it on Instagram all the time (as I do for countless other detailing products).  Shit's $35 for a 16-ounce bottle.

I said, yeah, or you can buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a spray bottle for it for a combined cost of about $6 and do the same exact thing.  Or buy an entire gallon of acetone for $20 if the water spots are real bad.

I am so tired of scammy detailing products.  Do they work?  Sure, but there are so many simple solutions to problems that don't need to be solved by over-priced products.  Every detailing product these days has the word "ceramic" or "graphene" in it.  Wah.

Anywayyyyys, rant over.  Rubbing alcohol for water spots, acetone if it's real bad.  Won't hurt a thing.

Submariner2

I've tried IPA and it only works so well.  Unfortunately the water in my area is hard AF and it's leaving semi perminant watermarks on my car, even when using something like No Rinse.

I figured acetone would wreck the clearcoat.  Good to know it's safe.  Thanks.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550