Would you invest in Tesla?

Started by the Teuton, July 07, 2010, 08:22:20 AM

the Teuton

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/07/tesla-shares-in-freefall-now-below-ipo-price/

Tesla is now trading under its IPO value. Sure, I'd think that this company is nothing but hopes and dreams attached to a battery. But Elon Musk has never failed before.

If I were to buy a few shares, especially given that we're still in a recession, would that be a terrible idea? Would you buy in?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Mustangfan2003

At around $16 a share it may not be a bad buy. 

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 07, 2010, 08:22:20 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/07/tesla-shares-in-freefall-now-below-ipo-price/

Tesla is now trading under its IPO value. Sure, I'd think that this company is nothing but hopes and dreams attached to a battery. But Elon Musk has never failed before.

If I were to buy a few shares, especially given that we're still in a recession, would that be a terrible idea? Would you buy in?

No.

Just because someone hasn't failed before, doesn't mean they won't fail for the first time.

Since no automaker has jumped on this bandwagon yet in the form of a production car, I'm skeptical about the profitability of the whole enterprise. Battery tech has a long way to go before it can compete with the internal combustion engine.

sportyaccordy

mzziaz

It's a high risk stock, but I really don't know enough about the company to know be able to give any recommondations.
I have a feeling the cash flow isn't terribly impressive, though.
Cuore Sportivo

AltinD

Weren't they running at more then 200 Millions in losses before the IPO?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

GoCougs

Electric cars are an even bigger epic business fail than hybrids. Their goal is to use the IPO money influx to quickly pump up their business stats in order to get bought.

giant_mtb

No, no I would not invest in Tesla. :wtf:

SVT666

the Teuton

Right now, it's just a boutique maker of electric Elises. But what about when the Model S comes to the market for (supposedly) under $60,000?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on July 07, 2010, 01:06:34 PM
Right now, it's just a boutique maker of electric Elises. But what about when the Model S comes to the market for (supposedly) under $60,000?
I'll believe it when I see it. And that $60k number is completely synthetic. The true cost will be significantly higher, and it will probably be taxpayers subsidizing that low low price.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Minpin

Quote from: AltinD on July 07, 2010, 11:39:28 AM
Weren't they running at more then 200 Millions in losses before the IPO?

They have not had a single profitable quarter.

Quote from: GoCougs on July 07, 2010, 12:18:09 PM
Electric cars are an even bigger epic business fail than hybrids. Their goal is to use the IPO money influx to quickly pump up their business stats in order to get bought.

And they ran out of cash.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on July 07, 2010, 01:10:53 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. And that $60k number is completely synthetic. The true cost will be significantly higher, and it will probably be taxpayers subsidizing that low low price.

Apropos to the point, Fisker secured a loan from the DOE for hundreds of millions. Think that'll ever be paid back? The story I read in Wired the CEO says they'll be bigger than Porsche by 2016. (LOL.)

hotrodalex

Definitely not. Boutique manufactures are rarely a smart investment.

Eye of the Tiger

I would if I had some money to throw away.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

I wouldn't tell my friend who works for them this, but no.

Cookie Monster

No, although where I live is filled with Teslas.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

I think that's more of an "if" than a "when.". And how can you know it's going to be at all successful?

BimmerM3

If I had money to waste, I'd consider throwing a relatively insignificant amount of money at them just in case something happens, but no.

Raza

No.  Electric cars are not the wave of the future, and they will fall flat.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Colonel Cadillac

I would steer clear from Tesla until they show signs of being able to actually make money.