Recent Ford Fusion Reviews

Started by Catman, September 02, 2005, 05:49:54 AM

Catman

I just got the new Autoweek issue as well as the October C&D issue so I don't have links, sorry.  Anyway, it looks like the Fusion will fare pretty well in the midsize wars but when you take away some of the initial excitement of a new model I'm not so sure it will make a huge lasting dent in Toyota's and Honda's dominance of the market.  C&D was very postive in their praise regarding the Fusions ride and driving dynamics, Autoweek's review was a bit more tepid.  C&D was very positive regarding the interior, citing good materials and ergonomics, Autoweek stated it was as good as anything else in the class sans VW.  The V6's performance was decent and on par with Toyota's V6 but falls short of the performance and refinement of the Honda.  One thing is certain, the car isn't bland, which is good.

My take on the car just by reading between the two lines in these two articles is the the Fusion will be a worthy competitor but will bring nothing substantial to the midsize class.  Time will tell but perhaps the Fusions success will be determined by the fact that it is competitive, a term not often used when reviewing a domestic midsize car.  With a new Camry around the corner we can expect the bar to be raised in this class.  Will the Fusion have what it takes to keep pace?

ifcar

It looks decidedly midpack so far. It's not going to have the handling of a Mazda6, it's not going to be especially refined or powerful (until the 3.5-liter appears), and it's not going to be especially roomy. What it will be is generally competent with no major shortcomings for a reasonable price, which makes for a solid, if not class-leading car.

The styling, and the fact that it's a good American car, will help it both in sales and in many reviews.  

Catman

QuoteIt looks decidedly midpack so far. It's not going to have the handling of a Mazda6, it's not going to be especially refined or powerful (until the 3.5-liter appears), and it's not going to be especially roomy. What it will be is generally competent with no major shortcomings for a reasonable price, which makes for a solid, if not class-leading car.

The styling, and the fact that it's a good American car, will help it both in sales and in many reviews.
Yup, it looks promising.  What's the latest you've heard on the 3.5L?  Last I knew Ford said the Fusion wasn't getting it.

ifcar

Ford says a lot of things. It's always "wait and see".

Catman

I'd actually rather see this car with a more powerful I4.  I really think we need to back down fom bigger engines.  Some new four cylinders would be a good move for Ford.  A small run of 3.5L's would be OK, but I think Ford should concentrate more on a refined, powerful and efficient I4 for this car.  Something in the 2.5L range.

ifcar

The 2.3-liter is a nice engine: good pep, decent mileage.  

Tom

QuoteThe 2.3-liter is a nice engine: good pep, decent mileage.
CR got 17mpg in the city for what it's worth.

Catman

That sucks.

Raghavan

That sucks.
ouch.

ifcar

CR always gets very low city figures and high highway figures. The typical midsize V6 sedan was getting 13-15 mpg city with them, for comparison. Their 6i got 23 mpg overall, similar to the Accord, Camry, and Altima 4-cyl automatics, coming from 16 city/33 highway.

dave998

QuoteIt looks decidedly midpack so far. It's not going to have the handling of a Mazda6, it's not going to be especially refined or powerful (until the 3.5-liter appears), and it's not going to be especially roomy. What it will be is generally competent with no major shortcomings for a reasonable price, which makes for a solid, if not class-leading car.

Yup, it looks promising.  What's the latest you've heard on the 3.5L?  Last I knew Ford said the Fusion wasn't getting it.
Its coming out next year theyre working on the calibration programs for the 3.5L for the Fusion. Its going to be standard in the Zephyr, but optional in the Fusion. The 3.5L model will actually be called the Fusion ST or "street tuned".  

BMWDave

Its coming out next year theyre working on the calibration programs for the 3.5L for the Fusion. Its going to be standard in the Zephyr, but optional in the Fusion. The 3.5L model will actually be called the Fusion ST or "street tuned".
Very good to hear :rockon:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

So it won't be available in mainstream versions? That's disappointing.  

Raza

That sucks.
17 city is better than I've ever seen.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

Was my post deleted?  Or it might not have gone through.

ifcar

There are two similar Fusion threads right now, maybe you posted in the other one?

I know I didn't delete anything.  

Tom

Oh wait, it was in the VW Golf based cute ute thread that my post either didn't go through or was deleted.  Nevermind, you can delete this post if you want.