Two more questions for the same friend...

Started by Submariner, July 08, 2010, 09:00:32 AM

Submariner

As I mentioned in the brush guard post, I have a friend with a 4Runner.  He's looking to upgrade it a bit, namely with some auxiliary lights on the brush guard we're attempting to undertake, and a more throaty exhaust system.  Any advice on where to look, or what kind of work we're getting ourselves into?

Thanks
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Go to your local Advance Auto or other parts store and see why they have. They'll definitely have auxiliary lights, and they usually mount via screw mount. So, you'd have to drill some holes into the brushguard. Also, you'll have to run the wiring, but a simple schematic is always included. As far as exhaust...I dunno.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 08, 2010, 12:15:39 PM
Go to your local Advance Auto or other parts store and see why they have. They'll definitely have auxiliary lights, and they usually mount via screw mount. So, you'd have to drill some holes into the brushguard. Also, you'll have to run the wiring, but a simple schematic is always included. As far as exhaust...I dunno.

The guard actually has holes pre-drilled.  :ohyeah:

giant_mtb

Well there ya go.  Parts stores typically have a decent selection of auxiliary lights ranging from cheap-o's to expensive PIAA-type brands.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Im less concerned with the lights, and more so with the wiring - is it a PITA? 

giant_mtb

Not at all.  One wire goes to the plus sign terminal on the battery, and another to a ground.  One more wire goes to the toggle switch in the cab.  Done.  Besides, of course, plugging all the lights in and stuff, but that's easy, too.

If he wants to set them up to work with his headlight switch, that's a different story.  But, I don't think he'd want to have his aux. lights on whenever his headlights are on.  Kinda dick-ish, bright, and perhaps illegal.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 09, 2010, 12:11:52 AM
Not at all.  One wire goes to the plus sign terminal on the battery, and another to a ground.  One more wire goes to the toggle switch in the cab.  Done.  Besides, of course, plugging all the lights in and stuff, but that's easy, too.

If he wants to set them up to work with his headlight switch, that's a different story.  But, I don't think he'd want to have his aux. lights on whenever his headlights are on.  Kinda dick-ish, bright, and perhaps illegal.

That's what I said.  I think he wants the light's to be activated by a blank switch in the cab, but I'm not sure how that might work out. 

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 09, 2010, 12:11:52 AM

:facepalm:

You should probably run it through the fuse box.  Read the interwebz.  There is bound to be a 4Runner forum that has put the exact same kind of lights in that he's looking at, and wired them into the blank switch in the cab already.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Or if you put a fuse you could run the wire to the switch from the battery, to a relay, to the lights. Skip messing up any factory stuff.
Would be easier but more ghetto to do. DON'T run a lot of power through the switch- aux lights can suck a lot of juice and could melt/fry/catch on fire the switch or wiring.  (Use good thick wire for the lights. Definitely do a relay.)
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 10, 2010, 12:22:09 PM
Or if you put a fuse you could run the wire to the switch from the battery, to a relay, to the lights. Skip messing up any factory stuff.
Would be easier but more ghetto to do. DON'T run a lot of power through the switch- aux lights can suck a lot of juice and could melt/fry/catch on fire the switch or wiring.  (Use good thick wire for the lights. Definitely do a relay.)

Relay relay relay relay.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Decent lights will come with all the wires, connectors, relays, and instructions. It's not hard if you can kind of read an electrical diagram.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Submariner

Quote from: Rupert on July 10, 2010, 03:10:18 PM
Decent lights will come with all the wires, connectors, relays, and instructions. It's not hard if you can kind of read an electrical diagram.

Well...

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA