Sell your car, and replace it!

Started by 2o6, July 09, 2010, 10:04:52 PM

68_427

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22457.msg1364371#msg1364371 date=1279654214
I'd rent a cabin for a little while though.  Hit the river, grill every night...if only I had friends to do this shit with....

This is what our trips consist of.  We travel with about 6 other families.  (No rivers though, just lakes)
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Tent = camping
Tent Trailer = camping
Travel Trailer = Not camping

My wife refuses to go camping anymore.  The only time I ever get to is when I go with my dad.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on July 20, 2010, 01:36:23 PM

Tent Trailer = camping
Travel Trailer = Not camping

Does not compute.  Many "Tent Campers" (or pop-ups, as manu 'murcans call them) even come with stove/oven, sink, fridge/freezer, and even bathrooms now.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on July 20, 2010, 01:40:33 PM
Does not compute.  Many "Tent Campers" (or pop-ups, as manu 'murcans call them) even come with stove/oven, sink, fridge/freezer, and even bathrooms now.
Tent trailers are basically tents on wheels with a tiny fridge (the size of most coolers), a small stove (about the size of my Coleman), and I have yet to see a tent trailer with a toilet.  DOesn't sound much different then my tenting setup...except that it's on wheels and has a hard roof and floor.

68_427

Are we talking about the same thing?

'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on July 20, 2010, 01:53:23 PM
Are we talking about the same thing?

That's a pretty extreme example. That even has air conditioning.  Wow.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on July 20, 2010, 01:55:04 PM
That's a pretty extreme example. That even has air conditioning.  Wow.

My parents bought one in 1992 that had A/C.  lmao.  Like I said, camping as evolved just like everything else.

'racecar is die'
no

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2010, 01:30:14 PM
To me, camping always included a tent.   Sleeping in the woods amongst the animals and bugs and parasites and muck and disgusting heat.  I'd rent a cabin for a little while though.  Hit the river, grill every night...if only I had friends to do this shit with....

Both the tent and the cabin sound pretty great.

Diesels have come a long way since the GM 6.5l. I personally would pony up for a more recent diesel or a Cummins, but that's just me. The 6.5l is definitely proven though.

TBR

Personally, this isn't my idea of fun:

(an extreme example I admit)

I'd much prefer this:

(yes, that is actually me in all my studdliness)

But each to his own.

Cookie Monster

I want to go backpacking but I don't think I am physically fit to do it. Neither are any of my friends.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: TBR on July 20, 2010, 02:16:47 PM
Personally, this isn't my idea of fun:

(an extreme example I admit)

Once you hit 70....   :lol:
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

Quote from: thecarnut on July 20, 2010, 02:19:13 PM
I want to go backpacking but I don't think I am physically fit to do it. Neither are any of my friends.

I am not exactly the hulk, but I manage to do pretty well. As long as you're going with people at your same experience/fitness level; it won't be much of an issue.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 20, 2010, 02:20:58 PM
I am not exactly the hulk, but I manage to do pretty well. As long as you're going with people at your same experience/fitness level; it won't be much of an issue.

Yeah, as long as you don't make a competition out of it, you can probably just rest frequently and drink loads of water. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 20, 2010, 02:12:21 PM
Both the tent and the cabin sound pretty great.

Diesels have come a long way since the GM 6.5l. I personally would pony up for a more recent diesel or a Cummins, but that's just me. The 6.5l is definitely proven though.

I'm going to do the cabin thing next year, you know, if I make friends and buy that kayak I've been talking about for ages.  I have the money now, it's not a problem.  Maybe I'll find some time this August to rent and hit some water.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2010, 02:29:00 PM
I'm going to do the cabin thing next year, you know, if I make friends and buy that kayak I've been talking about for ages.  I have the money now, it's not a problem.  Maybe I'll find some time this August to rent and hit some water.

Go to the Adirondacks if you have the time.  It's awesome for that stuff.  I'll be going with a friend to a cottage in the Adirondacks that's located on a small creek in between two lakes.  We Kayaked the lakes too.
'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

Quote from: TBR on July 20, 2010, 02:20:58 PM
Yeah, I should ask my friends if they'd like to go one day. Equipment is $$$ though.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: thecarnut on July 20, 2010, 02:31:53 PM
Yeah, I should ask my friends if they'd like to go one day. Equipment is $$$ though.

I'm sure you can rent for a weekend.
'racecar is die'
no

ChrisV

Quote from: thecarnut on July 20, 2010, 12:27:25 PM
To me, it seems like you're taking your family room with you, putting it in a field, and then watching TV there. Why not just get a hotel that's much cheaper? You get the same comfort at a fraction of the cost and hassle. You're not really camping.

Plus a lot of campsites, at least the ones I've been to, won't let you park something that massive at the grounds. You get enough room for 2-3 tents at most.

Typical kid with no family response.

Look in that doorway. See the beagle? Also have a Sheltie. Ever try getting a good hotel room with a couple dogs? Ever try to make hotel reservations sequentially across the country, with a family and dogs? And are there hotels everyplace I might want to go?

Like I sad, I've been camping in tents. If I want to, I can head out with the scout troop for more of that. I LIKE being out in the woods, but still having a bathroom and clean shower that you don't have to go traipsing though poison ivy in the rain to get to.

I have timeshares. I have RVs. I've used hotels. And I've done tenting. Really, of all of them, this is the most convenient and best way of traveling for the family.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

I'm all for having a comfortable place to sleep, but in my opinion, camping is about being outside as much as possible until you have to sleep. Having a fireplace, a television, a minibar, a lap pool, etc. - that just incentivizes you to spend more awake time inside and less time outside.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

A lot of colleges rent out backpacking equipment for reasonable rates. Check your school's fitness and recreation center.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on July 20, 2010, 02:44:01 PM
I'm all for having a comfortable place to sleep, but in my opinion, camping is about being outside as much as possible until you have to sleep. Having a fireplace, a television, a minibar, a lap pool, etc. - that just incentivizes you to spend more awake time inside and less time outside.

See, for me, a vacation is about a fireplace, television, minibar, lap pool, lap dances, etc.  The last thing I want to do is wipe my ass with a leaf.  Don't have dogs, don't have a family.  For me, a vacation is about getting away from all that and living in fleeting opulence. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2010, 02:52:02 PM
See, for me, a vacation is about a fireplace, television, minibar, lap pool, lap dances, etc.  The last thing I want to do is wipe my ass with a leaf.  Don't have dogs, don't have a family.  For me, a vacation is about getting away from all that and living in fleeting opulence. 
I agree wholeheartedly

Nothing like chilling out on a beach, then heading back to the resort or cruise ship to grub on some pre-purchased food. I can kind of see the value in wanting to get away from it all but on the whole it's not for me. Just getting away from the city and computers and all that shit is enough.

hotrodalex

Equipment is $$$ though.

I spent over $400 in equipment alone for my canoe trip. :mask:

J86

I "camped" this last weekend out on the Cape.  Pitched a tent in the backyard of a very nice home :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: omicron on July 20, 2010, 09:32:55 AM
I strongly approve. Perhaps a view of the pool, if I'm feeling outdoorsy.

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22457.msg1364371#msg1364371 date=1279654214
To me, camping always included a tent.   Sleeping in the woods amongst the animals and bugs and parasites and muck and disgusting heat.  I'd rent a cabin for a little while though.  Hit the river, grill every night...if only I had friends to do this shit with....

+1. Camping = tent or shelter at the very most.

And when I say shelter, I mean something like this:

NOTE: I'm not dissing RVing or caravaning. I would love to do an RV road trip one of these days. I just don't consider it camping.

BimmerM3

You run every day and ride your bike all the time. You'd be perfectly fine.

ChrisV

Quote from: Laconian on July 20, 2010, 02:44:01 PM

One, I've never said I was "camping." I've gone tenting, and even hiking with no tent and just a sleeping bag. But I don't have to prove I'm a caveman and sleep in the outdoors with the bugs, spiders, and bears, hoping to god some angry bear doesn't smell my food or poop and decide he needs to tear up the tent or sleeping bag in the middle of the night.

I like to head out and sit around the campfire, drink some beers with my wife and talk about the things we did or saw during the day and then go to bed in a comfortable bed with an enclosed bathroom where I'm not going to get poison ivy on my ass just to prove to some silly kid that I'm some misbegotten ideal of "manly."  :lol: :evildude:

This last trip was simple one to travel to Cedar Point and play around on the roller coasters and in the water park, head back to the trailer at night and drink beer and cook up some brats and italian sausages, slep comfortaby and head out to do so again in the morning. I could travel at my leisure, the campsite cost considerably less than the hotel at the resort, and the puppies can go with us and not have to be kenneled.

I also take the RV to the track to spend less than hotel rooms, and on the west coast, I was also able to take the RV out onto the beach in places and stay out there.

I tend to think that some of you think that RVing means sitting in the RV 24/7. No more than tenting or being in a makeshift shelter does. And it's MUCH nicer if the trip you've planned for months and finally get to the campsite to have a good time, ends up being in the middle of a thunderstorm. Sorry, been in a thunderstorm in tent a few times. I didn't feel happily "connected to nature" from the experience. ;)

And of course, as I said, I'll ALSO stay in hotels, or use a timeshare, or a bed and breakfast, or even go tenting if that's what I feel like. I'm simply not limited to one choice or the other.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Laconian

You might not be saying that, but 68_427 was making the argument that the modern practice of "camping" now includes this mobile hotel lobby:

And I didn't say anything about roughing it to prove one's "manliness". :P
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Ha, oh, yes you are!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA