Sell your car, and replace it!

Started by 2o6, July 09, 2010, 10:04:52 PM

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on July 14, 2010, 07:26:27 AM
$4500 for a Spitfire?  I was reading in GRM (or it might have been the sister mag), and the one guy was saying that the Spitfire is the car one of your friends is always trying to give you. 

Man, I would love one of those as a resto-mod.  Stick in a light, modern engine (maybe an MX-5 engine or something like the 2.0T, if not smaller) and transmission, give it a modern suspension.  The only better car I can think of to do that to would be the S1 Elan. 

Oh, Raza, ye of little British car price knowledge. ;)

I think that's a pretty right on price for that Spit. It looks like it's in good shape, it has low original miles, etc.

The Spitfire was a fine car, and just as good as the other British cars of the time. Basically, maintain like crazy from new, and you're pretty much good to go, for the most part.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on July 14, 2010, 09:58:03 PM
Oh, Raza, ye of little British car price knowledge. ;)

I think that's a pretty right on price for that Spit. It looks like it's in good shape, it has low original miles, etc.

The Spitfire was a fine car, and just as good as the other British cars of the time. Basically, maintain like crazy from new, and you're pretty much good to go, for the most part.

I like the Spitfire a lot, actually (one of my favorites in GT4, too), but $4500 is a lot.  I was looking at ones a couple years ago in comparable condition for $3000 or less. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

I'd take an SR20DET old British sports car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on July 15, 2010, 05:40:58 AM
I like the Spitfire a lot, actually (one of my favorites in GT4, too), but $4500 is a lot.  I was looking at ones a couple years ago in comparable condition for $3000 or less. 

Maybe they were that nice, maybe they weren't. I should say that maybe that car is worth it, maybe it's not. With these old cars, you can find examples from $500 to better than $20,000. If you don't see a car in person, it's pretty hard to pin it down to such an exact value. I'm sure that Spit is worth somewhere in the $2500-$6000 range, but it's all in the details. There are also a lot of regional, seasonal, short-term supply fluctuation, and etc. price variations.

Bottom line is, you can't just look at a short ad for an old car and call it overpriced.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on July 15, 2010, 05:25:10 PM

This is to say that you'd not take an old British sports car with its stock engine? ;)

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on July 15, 2010, 10:58:59 PM
This is to say that you'd not take an old British sports car with its stock engine? ;)

I would.

I'm just terrified of them. They're old, often have tons of electrical or mechanical issues, and were just a bit on the slow side. The Nissan motor would fix a ton of those issues.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

Not really. The engine in most old British cars is fine, but, granted, the Nissan engine would make it faster and more reliable. However, there are so many other components that are not going to be helped by a new motor, from brakes to the electrical system. You put a modern engine in my MG, all you have in a more complicated problem. :lol:

SVT666

The only way I would take an old British sports car is if all the electrics have been replaced and the big iron anchor in front had been replaced with a 302.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on July 15, 2010, 10:58:02 PM
Maybe they were that nice, maybe they weren't. I should say that maybe that car is worth it, maybe it's not. With these old cars, you can find examples from $500 to better than $20,000. If you don't see a car in person, it's pretty hard to pin it down to such an exact value. I'm sure that Spit is worth somewhere in the $2500-$6000 range, but it's all in the details. There are also a lot of regional, seasonal, short-term supply fluctuation, and etc. price variations.

Bottom line is, you can't just look at a short ad for an old car and call it overpriced.

I can, and will, damn it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on July 15, 2010, 05:25:10 PM
Why stop there? Go with the RWD cure all

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ChrisV

Sell my E38 and add some money to buy an '01 E38 sport.

Sell the Range Rover and buy a diesel crew cab pickup to tow an even larger travel traler.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

Quote from: ChrisV on July 16, 2010, 11:50:17 AM

Sell the Range Rover and buy a diesel crew cab pickup to tow an even larger travel traler.

Have you ever gotten to play with all of the cool toys in an E38 750iL? They're fun.

68_427

Quote from: ChrisV on July 16, 2010, 11:50:17 AM

Stay away from Ford.  Not that you are actually planning on doing that right now.
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Quote from: 68_427 on July 16, 2010, 10:07:01 PM
Stay away from Ford.  Not that you are actually planning on doing that right now.

?

They're fine. All the big trucks are fine.

68_427

Quote from: Rupert on July 16, 2010, 10:24:08 PM
?

They're fine. All the big trucks are fine.

The 6.0L trucks had many problems, the 6.4L was okay but still very expensive, the 7.3L were pretty reliable in later years but require 16qts of oil every change. (and the automatic transmission was maxed out torque wise on the stock motor.  So no chippin')
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

TBR

The duramaxes also had some problems. As long as you get a second or third year model you should be fine with any of them.

Rich

If I had to sell, then I'd get Solstice N/A and supercharge it, and some 8-10k economy car with a stick
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 17, 2010, 10:48:03 AM
If I had to sell, then I'd get Solstice N/A and supercharge it, and some 8-10k economy car with a stick
How about you just sell the Mustang to me and buy another one.

Raza

I think I need to amend my statement:

6 speed, of course.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on July 18, 2010, 09:37:47 AM
I think I need to amend my statement:

6 speed, of course. 

You make a compelling argument. I would love to have an E46 M3 as a DD and have an S2000/987/Elise as a weekender.

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on July 16, 2010, 04:26:03 PM
Have you ever gotten to play with all of the cool toys in an E38 750iL? They're fun.

Yeah. A lot of people on the E38 forums install as many 750 updates on their 740s as they can. Of course, there are quite a few 750 owners that rub it in everyone's face... ;)

ChrisV

Quote from: 68_427 on July 16, 2010, 10:41:10 PM
The 6.0L trucks had many problems, the 6.4L was okay but still very expensive, the 7.3L were pretty reliable in later years but require 16qts of oil every change. (and the automatic transmission was maxed out torque wise on the stock motor.  So no chippin')

All the Fords I've looked at were the 7.3 liter ones, and quite a few are making more power than stock with no issues. My neighbor runs a fleet of the Ford F250s up through F450s with both the N/A and turbo 7.3s and has no problem getting 400k miles out of them.

I was also looking at the mid '90s GMCs like this one:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1789536491.html

All of them seem to go huge numbers of miles without issue.

I also like this one, but it's not a 20 series...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/1847444408.html

TBR

By most accounts the 6.5l GM diesel is completely gutless. I am not sure it's something you'd want to tow a heavy trailer with when the terrain is rugged.

Rupert

It's got enough guts for most applications.

68_427

Quote from: TBR on July 18, 2010, 02:40:25 PM
By most accounts the 6.5l GM diesel is completely gutless. I am not sure it's something you'd want to tow a heavy trailer with when the terrain is rugged.

Second one had Banks upgrades anyways.

The 7.3s are good motors and the 16qt of oil every change isn't that big of a deal if it's really only used for towing or special equations.
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on July 18, 2010, 02:40:25 PM

If it was good enough for the US military in temperatures that can get as high as 120F all day long and still be reliable, can it really be that bad?

68_427

440ftlb is evough to tow any trailer he's towing with his Range Rover.
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: 68_427 on July 18, 2010, 09:43:40 PM
Second one had Banks upgrades anyways.

The 7.3s are good motors and the 16qt of oil every change isn't that big of a deal if it's really only used for towing or special equations.

you mean special occasions? :confused::lol: