Bought a car (finally)

Started by MX793, July 10, 2010, 08:45:03 PM

MX793

A few more photos I took this morning.

Also, a few more impressions:
-Took it down one of the twistier roads in the area (a favorite of mine when I'm on my bike) and pushed it a bit.  This car is not as taught or as tossable as something like an RX-8 (or even my 3), but it still handles respectably.  There's no denying that it's more GT car than featherweight go-kart.  Considering how plush it feels, I was pleasantly surprised in the corners.  It corners quite flatly, though the tall sidewall tires can make it feel a little vague/soft when transitioning from one corner to another.  It seems to want you to take it a little easy on corner entry to let it take a set in the turn.  I'm guessing a set of lower profile tires would be all you'd need to sharpen it up a bit.  The steering is pretty numb, but it is precise and you can get some sense of what's going on where the rubber meets the road.  I wonder how easy it would be to reprogram it to the GT's steering settings?  I think I even had the ESP kick in on one turn where I came in a little hot.  Only way I noticed it was because my foot happened to be ever so lightly on the brake and I felt some light pulsing.

-I also topped up the tank (I always try to fill up when my gauge shows 1/4 full) and was pleased with the mileage.  25.4 mpg on my first tank.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

AutobahnSHO

Still jealous. About the only thing that would make it better would be no car payment. :lol:
Will

Rich

IIRC he paid cash

Yeah, some sticky tires with lower profile will definitely sharpen it up

Hopefully they come out with some kind of ECU flash that controls the steering assist.  I'm happy I got the brembos just for the steering feel in sport mode.  If it didn't have that, then in retrospect I would have passed on them.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Will

sportyaccordy

MX793- better shocks might help w/corner entry stability too. My 1st Accord was on Konis/Neuspeeds and stock size 195/60s, and with the strong low speed damping it really felt rock solid in transitions. On the contrary, my dad's M45 is on low profile 18s and pretty weak shocks.... it inspires no confidence whatsoever. I remember in the M3 vs Mustang GT vid, they said the main weakness of the Mustang was the suspension being too soft, even on the 19s. I think shocks/springs are the answer. Keep the stock wheels and save $$$ on rubber

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on September 11, 2010, 05:38:01 PM
IIRC he paid cash

Yeah, some sticky tires with lower profile will definitely sharpen it up

Hopefully they come out with some kind of ECU flash that controls the steering assist.  I'm happy I got the brembos just for the steering feel in sport mode.  If it didn't have that, then in retrospect I would have passed on them.
The nice thing about the electric assist steering is that changing the steering feel and weight is just a reflash away.

Cookie Monster

I really really like the Mustang V6. Nice pics!

I think you should get some slightly bigger wheels though... I know Ford has some great looking ones.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Congratulations. Great choice of car and color.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 12, 2010, 08:46:22 AM
MX793- better shocks might help w/corner entry stability too. My 1st Accord was on Konis/Neuspeeds and stock size 195/60s, and with the strong low speed damping it really felt rock solid in transitions. On the contrary, my dad's M45 is on low profile 18s and pretty weak shocks.... it inspires no confidence whatsoever. I remember in the M3 vs Mustang GT vid, they said the main weakness of the Mustang was the suspension being too soft, even on the 19s. I think shocks/springs are the answer. Keep the stock wheels and save $$$ on rubber

A firmer suspension would certainly tighten things up, though the Mustang's suspension woes I think come from it being too soft about the pitching axis, not the rolling.  The squishiness I experienced was when entering corners at steady speed, or at the very least not while under particularly hard braking, so I don't think pitching softness was really a factor.  The sensation was similar to the difference I noticed when I went from the OEM 205/50s to 215/50s with deeper, blockier tread on my Mazda.  The car just felt slightly less sharp on initial turn in.

While part of me would love to swap in a firmer Ford Racing suspension setup, another side of me rather likes the Mustang's plushness on the rough roads around here.  Once these tires wear out (or perhaps before), I intend to replace them with a wider tire.  The stock 225s are just too narrow, IMO.  I want to stick with a 17" rim to save on $$$, but would like to go up to a 235 width tire like what the earlier S197 GTs came with from the factory (I'd also like to toss on a set of 17" Torq-Thrust style wheels).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Hard to believe it's been 5 years (and a few days).  Only put a little over 30K miles on it in that time, but I've enjoyed my time with this car.  Sunday's auto-x was effectively the pony's last ride with me.  Save for the drive to the dealer to trade it in next month (or so I'm told; build date was yesterday), I won't be driving it anymore.  Inspection expires this week and I don't feel like paying 25 bucks to renew it when I'll be trading it in in just a couple of weeks.  Yesterday, I swapped the OEM wheels and tires back on and cleaned out the interior.

We did pretty well Sunday on our farewell ride.  I had the fasted PAX time at the end of the first heat, but ultimately fell back to 6th overall as others found more speed than I was able to in later heats and I just wasn't willing to push the car hard enough (and frankly, wasn't skilled enough) to maintain the top spot.

I've had a lot of fun autocrossing with this car, even the two seasons I ran on the frustratingly lo-po factory all-seasons (620 tread wear rated!), as well as daily driving it through the springs, summers, and falls.  5 full seasons of auto-x, 4 local class titles, 1 local overall top-5 season and 2 local overall top-10 seasons.  I hope I'll be able to generate comparable, or superior, results with it's replacement next season.  I expect next season will be something of a learning season as I adapt to a new car, so I'll need to set expectations accordingly.

As I was searching to find this thread, I stumbled across some earlier discussions of the then new 2011 3.7L V6 Mustang and was surprised how critical I was of the car back then, before driving and then buying one.  My recollection is that I'd always been pretty positive about the V6 Mustang when the 2011 powertrain updates had been announced.  I gave it a lot of flack for its pricing scheme, especially when compared to the performance, content, and price combination of the V6 Genesis Coupe.  Of course, then I drove both cars and opinions changed significantly.  Though my opinion that the base interior in 2011 was inexcusably cheap still stands.  Interestingly, some of the things I said Ford should do to the base interior to raise its curb appeal ended up happening in later S197s.  Specifically the addition of a leather wrapped and aluminum trimmed wheel and shifter to base trims.

Some parting thoughts and observations based on my time with the car:

-I've loved the 3.7 V6 since day one, and still am a big fan of that motor.  Broad torque curve and plenty of power practically everywhere.  Exhaust note can get a little harsh as you get up around 6500 RPM, but sounds very good everywhere else.  I've gotten numerous unsolicited complements on the (completely stock) exhaust note.  All that, plus surprising fuel efficiency.  I took 3 interstate road trips, each over 600 miles round trip, and averaged solidly over 30 MPG each time.  Best tank was 35 mpg.  It saddens me that Ford seems to be doing their best to discontinue this motor in the Mustang.  I might have considered getting another one if it were still available with the premium trim and performance pack.

-The MT-82 transmission gets a lot of flack, but overall I never had any real issues with it.  When temperatures got below 50F it could be a little rough until things got up to temp, with some light gear crunching felt through the lever when shifting up from 1st into 2nd, but that's probably my biggest complaint.  Otherwise, it's a tight, precise pattern with positive engagement.

-Overall, the suspension is softer than I would have liked.  While body roll is pretty well controlled but the car is too soft in the pitching axis.  Particularly nose dive under hard braking.  Despite the softness of the suspension making the car a little sluggish to react, it's more nimble than one would expect.  Part of me wishes I'd waited and sprung for the performance pack and its upgraded suspension, but another part thinks it would have significantly compromised the relatively good ride quality and then I'd be complaining that the suspension was too stiff/harsh.

-Live axle wasn't nearly the detriment that a lot of people make it out to be.  It has its weaknesses, and I'll take a well sorted IRS any day, but a well-done LRA can work plenty well.  Where I noticed it the most was on extremely choppy pavement (like railroad track crossings) and on large, crosswise bumps like speed bumps or very large frost heaves.  The front would soak them up without much drama, but the rear would dance over the former and buck on the latter.

-Coming from a nimble and communicative Mazda3, the steering is numb and the ratio is a bit slow and the effort is a shade lighter than I'd like.  It is, however, quite accurate.  I prefer it to the Jetta's steering rack, which is just as numb, just as slow (if not a hair slower), but noticeably higher effort.

-I'm shocked that I haven't yet worn through the original brake pads given how I've driven the car.  Stopping power is pretty decent, too.

-Given the size of the car and interior, storage/cubby space is very limited.  The door pockets are tiny, as is the glove box.  There's no built in storage compartment for sunglasses as with many cars.  The dash volume is huge; there's no reason why the glove box is so small that it can barely fit the owner's manual and a pair of gloves.

-The latch release button for the arm rest storage compartment is horribly placed.  I frequently would hit it with my elbow while driving, resulting in the compartment door springing open.  I noticed they fixed that for the 2015s by moving the release mechanism.

-I really like the original SYNC1 system in this car.  I didn't use it to its fullest extent, but the functionality I did utilize worked almost flawlessly and I found it legitimately useful rather than a gimmick or an irritation that detracted from the car.

-The fact that the front seats don't slide forward when the seatback is tilted forward to permit rear passengers in and out of the car is frustratingly stupid.  My 1992 240SX had a release that allowed the seats to move forward when the seatback was canted forward.  I remember other 2-door cars of the late 80s to mid 90s doing the same.  Why, some 20 years later, a car wouldn't do this is beyond me.  You could argue that it's harder to implement with a power seat, as the Mustang's drivers seat is, but the passenger's seat mechanism is completely manual.

-The factory windshield wipers were awesome, but wore out way too quickly.

-I'm glad I didn't drive this car in the winter, because there are a number of "features" that make it ill suited to being outside in snowier climates that I discovered the few times we got a late or early season snow.  First, the windshield washers are on the underside of the hood in the pocket where the cabin fresh air inlet is at the base of the windshield.  If you live where it snows a lot and park your car outside, this is the same area were snow will collect, melt partially into slush, and then freeze into a solid block of ice.  I would note that the Mustang is not the only car guilty of this, as this seems to be the route many cars are going with washer nozzle placement.  My Jetta is that way, and to its credit, the washer nozzles don't get encapsulated in ice as often as I would have expected.  Second, there are troughs at the base of the door windows that will also collect water/slush which will freeze solid and jam the window mechanism.  This is not only frustrating when you pull up to a drive through window and find you can't roll your window down, but also puts stress on the window when opening and closing the door.  The frameless windows are designed to tuck into the door arch for a better wind seal and automatically motor down half and inch when the doors are opened and then motor up closed when the door is shut.  If the window mechanism is frozen, you end up stressing things and you basically force the glass past the hard rubber wind seal lip.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CALL_911

How are you not gonna tell us what you got

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 29, 2015, 08:04:27 PM
How are you not gonna tell us what you got

Yeah seriously.   Fuck this guy :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Thanks for the long term review. I really like the Mustang.

Very impressive autocross results, too. That is due to the driver mostly so respect.

I say he's getting some sort of Cayman.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on September 29, 2015, 08:22:43 PM
Yeah seriously.   Fuck this guy :lol:

Agreed, suspense on a goddamn car forum is silly

I'm gonna guess BMW 2

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 29, 2015, 08:27:59 PM
Agreed, suspense on a goddamn car forum is silly

I'm gonna guess BMW 2

It's only a couple of weeks (I hope).  I put my order in over 8 weeks ago, so imagine my anticipation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CALL_911

228 or 235? Man, I'm actually curious to know what you got

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Gotta-Qik-C7

My money says he's switching to a Camaro!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Cookie Monster

I would guess Miata but something tells me it's not... I'm going to guess 2 series as well, with a hope it's either a Cayman or Hellcat.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Will