Review: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Started by the Teuton, July 25, 2010, 08:28:36 PM

the Teuton

To set the record straight:

The EJ22, both E (NA) and T (turbo) were the most reliable EJs ever sold. The EJ18 I had died because of oil starvation because my brother is/was a 'tard.

The EJ25D DOHC engine was a mess when it came to head gaskets. Subaru got it better with the EJ251 in the next 2.5 RS that lasted until 2001, but it wasn't that great. The engines that have come out since then have been nearly bulletproof, though.

With the exception of the EJ25D, Subaru's EJ engines have had excellent reliability overall. The cause for it (and some early JDM DOHC engines to a small extent) were because of the open deck or semi-open deck design, bigger, hotter, iron heads, and weaker, more malleable aluminum blocks, along with an inherently poorly designed head gasket.

The thicker metal gaskets that Subaru sells as replacements in the EJ25D engine, and that have come standard in every model since the EJ251 engine, have left little in the way of malfunction left in the design.

The reason the EJ22E design is the most reliable (my dad's Legacy is awesome at over 200k miles now) is because of its simple SOHC design that doesn't get as hot, non-interference engine (this would not be the case for the EJ22 for 1998 and beyond), and relatively stout, thick block. There's a reason it's often used in light aircrafts.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Third paragraph:

"When I?d try to do the imitate his moves,"

GoCougs

I have no doubt Subaru has worked to improve durability but I still remain quite skeptical but wish them luck - I'd very much like my next car to be a Subaru (and eagerly awaiting the return of the Outback XT w/MT).

As to using flat/boxer engines in airplanes, it's because of cooling and packaging, and not anything to do with durability or strength. The flat-style engine is inherently much more friendly for air cooling as the cylinders are much more exposed WRT to an inline engine (no liquid cooling = more reliable and lower maintenance). The flat style engine is also much easier to package inside the nose of a small Cessna or in the small nacelle of a dual engine Beechcraft.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2010, 11:30:11 PM
I have no doubt Subaru has worked to improve durability but I still remain quite skeptical but wish them luck - I'd very much like my next car to be a Subaru (and eagerly awaiting the return of the Outback XT w/MT).

As to using flat/boxer engines in airplanes, it's because of cooling and packaging, and not anything to do with durability or strength. The flat-style engine is inherently much more friendly for air cooling as the cylinders are much more exposed WRT to an inline engine (no liquid cooling = more reliable and lower maintenance). The flat style engine is also much easier to package inside the nose of a small Cessna or in the small nacelle of a dual engine Beechcraft.

Would you ever consider a WRX?

I feel like you've answered this question before, but since I don't remember your response, I'll go ahead and ask you again.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 28, 2010, 11:42:35 AM
Would you ever consider a WRX?

I feel like you've answered this question before, but since I don't remember your response, I'll go ahead and ask you again.

I believe he said it was too small, which is understandable. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

I still want an old WRX to bomb down back roads in.

GoCougs

Yeah, WRX is too small, too low rent, looks too ricey for me (especially with the STi body coming in 2011) and the "wagon" version is actually a hatch which has less cargo space than the WRX sedan.

the Teuton

The sedan is also five inches longer than the hatch.

Subaru has had its failings, but it has always improved its products afterwards and usually has come to side with the customer when it comes to rectifying a bad situation.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2010, 03:42:18 PM
If Subaru wants to sell AWD Toyotas, they're welcome to, and will likely gain marketshare (if they haven't already), but they won't get my dollars with that half assed bullshit. 

IIRC, Subaru was the only manufacturer to sell more in 2008 than 2007, AND 2009 than 2008.
They've gained traction as the cars have looked more "mainstream" and the AWD thing is a seller in some regions.

As noted though, they take a definite hit for the poorer gas mileage and cheaper interiors. I wonder if they would sell more if they could offer FWD only versions cheaper than the current prices, or if that would wreck the brand ?!
Will

the Teuton

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 28, 2010, 03:43:29 PM
IIRC, Subaru was the only manufacturer to sell more in 2008 than 2007, AND 2009 than 2008.
They've gained traction as the cars have looked more "mainstream" and the AWD thing is a seller in some regions.

As noted though, they take a definite hit for the poorer gas mileage and cheaper interiors. I wonder if they would sell more if they could offer FWD only versions cheaper than the current prices, or if that would wreck the brand ?!

Exactly.  If you want volume, you push mainstream.  Porsche did it, but they did it right.  They sold the Cayenne.  They didn't soften everything up to the point that mommies would use them for the school run.  Subaru ripped out the heart of their core model for sales.  They sold out.  So the sheep will follow the shepherd, but I am not one. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 29, 2010, 05:18:18 PM
Why would they want to?

Yeah!  Why would a company want to sell more cars!?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 29, 2010, 05:21:02 PM
Yeah!  Why would a company want to sell more cars!?

It'd be diluting the brand, like selling a FWD BMW.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 29, 2010, 05:23:47 PM
It'd be diluting the brand, like selling a FWD BMW.

They already diluted the brand.

And they are planning a FWD BMW.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 29, 2010, 05:24:13 PM
They already diluted the brand.

And they are planning a FWD BMW.

I suppose you have a point. But when VW is going back to beam axles, drum brakes, and the 2.Slow, does it really make sense to make a sportier car that isn't a WRX? Other than the Mazda3, nothing in the class is too, too sporty out of the box.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 29, 2010, 05:36:51 PM
I suppose you have a point. But when VW is going back to beam axles, drum brakes, and the 2.Slow, does it really make sense to make a sportier car that isn't a WRX? Other than the Mazda3, nothing in the class is too, too sporty out of the box.

Drum brakes?

I want to see specs on this new Jetta.  Hopefully it will get panned (after the MkV got such great reviews) and they'll make the MkVII a better car again.  Although, it'll probably sell more since it'll be worse for the enthusiast.  That second Jetta 2.5 I drove?  Nowhere near as good as my car, but I'd have been okay driving it if I had one.  If we rate my car a 10/10 on the Jetta scale, that was about a 6.5.  The first 2.5 was about a 3, maybe four.  You figure a 2.5 with a stick would be about a 7.  Not too bad.  But I'm thinking about the black front from the 2010.  I digress....

That's my point.  They moved mainstream to get more marketshare and it worked.  Alienate the diehards for the mainstream consumer and you'll almost always see short term growth.  Long term, if you can ride the cycle like Toyota did.  So, why not add gas mileage to the one thing they can brag about?  It's just one word if they offer FWD.  "AWD available on all our models!"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2010, 11:30:11 PM

Boxer configuration also has superior primary balance to most other layouts (save for I6s and V12s, the latter commonly used in WWII era aircraft).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Fundamentally, you're right. My dad's Legacy is FWD. It's just fine -- and it probably has better steering feel than my Impreza ever did.

But Subaru has spent 15 years to carve out this niche as an AWD manufacturer, no, the AWD manufacturer. To throw that away for a quick buck really would make it into just another Toyota.

And yeah, my boss said the Jetta was going to have drum brakes in the rear. I'm sure he gets flooded with press releases, so I'm going to trust him for the moment.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 29, 2010, 06:08:28 PM
Fundamentally, you're right. My dad's Legacy is FWD. It's just fine -- and it probably has better steering feel than my Impreza ever did.

But Subaru has spent 15 years to carve out this niche as an AWD manufacturer, no, the AWD manufacturer. To throw that away for a quick buck really would make it into just another Toyota.

And yeah, my boss said the Jetta was going to have drum brakes in the rear. I'm sure he gets flooded with press releases, so I'm going to trust him for the moment.

Two steps forward, three steps back... :(

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on July 29, 2010, 05:58:37 PM
Drum brakes?

I want to see specs on this new Jetta.  Hopefully it will get panned (after the MkV got such great reviews) and they'll make the MkVII a better car again.  Although, it'll probably sell more since it'll be worse for the enthusiast.  That second Jetta 2.5 I drove?  Nowhere near as good as my car, but I'd have been okay driving it if I had one.  If we rate my car a 10/10 on the Jetta scale, that was about a 6.5.  The first 2.5 was about a 3, maybe four.  You figure a 2.5 with a stick would be about a 7.  Not too bad.  But I'm thinking about the black front from the 2010.  I digress....

That's my point.  They moved mainstream to get more marketshare and it worked.  Alienate the diehards for the mainstream consumer and you'll almost always see short term growth.  Long term, if you can ride the cycle like Toyota did.  So, why not add gas mileage to the one thing they can brag about?  It's just one word if they offer FWD.  "AWD available on all our models!"

Lower level trims (S and SE) will get drum rears.  SEL and higher get 4-wheel discs.  And all but the GLI will get a torsion beam rear suspension.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22589.msg1370047#msg1370047 date=1280448800
Two steps forward, three steps back... :(

But hey, it'll be a Jetta that starts under $16,000! Isn't that what the market wants?

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on July 29, 2010, 06:14:33 PM
But hey, it'll be a Jetta that starts under $16,000! Isn't that what the market wants?

VW is following Toyota to try to get Corolla sales numbers.  First they introduce Corolla-esque styling.  Then they drop in drum brakes, a torsion beam suspension and a relatively underpowered standard engine.
Needs more Jiggawatts

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on July 29, 2010, 06:33:19 PM
VW is following Toyota to try to get Corolla sales numbers.  First they introduce Corolla-esque styling.  Then they drop in drum brakes, a torsion beam suspension and a relatively underpowered standard engine.

Corolla's got way better power-to-weight than that Jetta.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on July 29, 2010, 06:39:30 PM
Corolla's got way better power-to-weight than that Jetta.

They supposedly lopped like 150 lbs off of the weight of the new one, though it'll still be quite a bit heavier than the Corolla.
Needs more Jiggawatts

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on July 29, 2010, 06:40:31 PM
They supposedly lopped like 150 lbs off of the weight of the new one, though it'll still be quite a bit heavier than the Corolla.

And have quite a bit less power.

GoCougs

I think Subaru is 100% making the right product and strategic business calls. They've got a very loyal fan base, have moderate volumes, and was one of the few if not only auto makers that didn't feel the recession sales crunch. Their products have made vast leaps in refinement the last few generations.

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on July 29, 2010, 06:55:19 PM
I think Subaru is 100% making the right product and strategic business calls. They've got a very loyal fan base, have moderate volumes, and was one of the few if not only auto makers that didn't feel the recession sales crunch. Their products have made vast leaps in refinement the last few generations.

That's pretty much my argument with the Impreza: It was similar enough that it didn't alienate me, but it was new (read: bland) enough that Subaru found a way to attract beige buyers who might be turned off by the Toyotas of the world for whatever reason. It's a win-win for Subes.

r0tor

I'd take the new gen (un)impreza over the previous gen cars on build quality alone... I always loved the old 2.5rs and the bugeye wrxs, but damn those thing had some build quality issues
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on July 29, 2010, 06:08:28 PM

In this day and age, with CAFE and people wanting good gas mileage a FWD Impreza makes sense. They could get a lot more people in the door by confusing them with talk of great gas mileage and available "award winning symmetric all-wheel-drive". Outside of the snow belt there's no reason to buy a Subaru, and I would bet a map of their sales would reflect that.

Truthfully though.... if Subaru really wants to make a statement.... they could go RWD on all their 2WD models. I mean the engine/tranny is situated the right way and that would REALLY make a statement to enthusiasts. They could bill themselves as the working man's BMW.... but that's just a pipe dream....

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 30, 2010, 09:25:52 AM
In this day and age, with CAFE and people wanting good gas mileage a FWD Impreza makes sense. They could get a lot more people in the door by confusing them with talk of great gas mileage and available "award winning symmetric all-wheel-drive". Outside of the snow belt there's no reason to buy a Subaru, and I would bet a map of their sales would reflect that.

Truthfully though.... if Subaru really wants to make a statement.... they could go RWD on all their 2WD models. I mean the engine/tranny is situated the right way and that would REALLY make a statement to enthusiasts. They could bill themselves as the working man's BMW.... but that's just a pipe dream....

Couple of issues...

First, a FWD Legacy or Impreza is a very tough sell vs. an Accord or Civic; even with AWD, plus the cars already get good mpg.

Second, AWD has plenty of advantages in wet climates as even moderate-powered FWD vehicles will easily lose traction.

Third, automakers don't make money selling cars to enthusiasts, and the relative few who are new car buying Subaru enthusiasts are all about the AWD/rally car thing.