Review: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Started by the Teuton, July 25, 2010, 08:28:36 PM

the Teuton

http://thingsthatrhymewithcars.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/review-2010-subaru-impreza-2-5i/

There. I'm going to try to do more of these in the future. But here's a car review, largely comparing it to the first generation model I owned.

If you think it sucks, let me know why/how, and I'll do better next time. Thanks for reading. And thanks, Ifcar, for the pic.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Good review. I'd be interested to hear some of your similarly in depth takes on new Bimmers

Raza

All things considered, it?s one of the better cars in its class, as well as the best Impreza made yet.

Headline news: Subaru fan likes Subaru

With a line like that, you'll lack credibility with anyone who has driven an Impreza and likes to drive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 25, 2010, 08:59:49 PM
All things considered, it?s one of the better cars in its class, as well as the best Impreza made yet.

Headline news: Subaru fan likes Subaru

With a line like that, you'll lack credibility with anyone who has driven an Impreza and likes to drive.

It'll be fixed then. Thank you.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Typo of "straightforward" as two words. Otherwise, I think you cleanly carried across the idea that many Subaru loyalists will be right at home in the soft new Impreza, which will spark spirited debate.

Xer0

Way too many comas for me.  It felt like you were trying to be all artsy and descriptive about a car that is, in all honesty, pretty boring.  It just didn't mesh with me.

Raza

Quote from: Xer0 on July 26, 2010, 03:18:22 PM
Way too many comas for me.  It felt like you were trying to be all artsy and descriptive about a car that is, in all honesty, pretty boring.  It just didn't mesh with me.

If you think the review had too many comas, try driving the car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Xer0 on July 26, 2010, 03:18:22 PM

That's a fair criticism. It doesn't suck as a car at all...it just isn't what you're looking for probably.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2010, 03:19:07 PM

It'd be a tough decision versus a Mazda3, but without much thought at all, I'd take an Impreza over a new Elantra or Jetta. It may lag in certain aspects, but it's an easier car to live with than either of them.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 26, 2010, 03:37:14 PM
It'd be a tough decision versus a Mazda3, but without much thought at all, I'd take an Impreza over a new Elantra or Jetta. It may lag in certain aspects, but it's an easier car to live with than either of them.

Yeah, you would, being a diehard Subaru fan, take a Subaru over a Volkswagen, since you have an irrational hatred of Volkswagen.

Though, I've got to say, if it were an Impreza against the 2.5 Jetta I drove last time, it would be a hard decision, but the one I've got today is much better.  Still not as good as my car, but I'd go for it over the WRX I drove, which was a damn Camry to drive.  But then again, the Golf would probably be a more natural competitor to the Impreza than the Jetta, which I would also take over the Impreza. 

Best sedan in class?  Honestly, I think it's probably the Civic, long in the tooth it may be.  Unlike some, I feel no love towards AWD in underpowered cars because I know how to drive and 2WD doesn't frighten me, and the forcefully bland exterior is offensive to me after the properly quirky cars that came before it.  If Subaru wants to sell AWD Toyotas, they're welcome to, and will likely gain marketshare (if they haven't already), but they won't get my dollars with that half assed bullshit. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22589.msg1367709#msg1367709 date=1280179147

I just got that.  Thank you spelling.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2010, 03:42:18 PM
Yeah, you would, being a diehard Subaru fan, take a Subaru over a Volkswagen, since you have an irrational hatred of Volkswagen.

Though, I've got to say, if it were an Impreza against the 2.5 Jetta I drove last time, it would be a hard decision, but the one I've got today is much better.  Still not as good as my car, but I'd go for it over the WRX I drove, which was a damn Camry to drive.  But then again, the Golf would probably be a more natural competitor to the Impreza than the Jetta, which I would also take over the Impreza. 

Best sedan in class?  Honestly, I think it's probably the Civic, long in the tooth it may be.  Unlike some, I feel no love towards AWD in underpowered cars because I know how to drive and 2WD doesn't frighten me, and the forcefully bland exterior is offensive to me after the properly quirky cars that came before it.  If Subaru wants to sell AWD Toyotas, they're welcome to, and will likely gain marketshare (if they haven't already), but they won't get my dollars with that half assed bullshit. 

The rental-spec Jetta 2.5 (which is actually fairly well optioned) is a nice car as a package, but that steering and those brakes ruin it for me.

What makes your current loaner that much better?

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 26, 2010, 03:56:05 PM
The rental-spec Jetta 2.5 (which is actually fairly well optioned) is a nice car as a package, but that steering and those brakes ruin it for me.

What makes your current loaner that much better?

Steering, brakes, and throttle all feel better than on the top spec car I drove last time, and the ride seems more controlled.  The brakes feel more mechanical, and while the steering still feels pretty boosted at low speeds, it's much better than on the other 2.5.  The throttle is less jumpy as well.  They're both 2010 cars, the main difference being trim level.  I posted a few more details (but not much) in my thread in the Garage.  This car is a base model; cloth seats, steel wheels, et al.  I'm pretty sure my last car was pretty well optioned, with leather and an iPod kit, as well as the uprated head unit. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on July 26, 2010, 03:37:14 PM
but it's an easier car to live with than either of them.

:wtf:

Dude, they're all fucking economy cars. I doubt one would be any more livable than the other. And if there is a difference, I doubt it would be THAT huge.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 26, 2010, 05:08:45 PM
:wtf:

Dude, they're all fucking economy cars. I doubt one would be any more livable than the other. And if there is a difference, I doubt it would be THAT huge.

The Elantra is a terrible long-distance driver, and it's just wickedly uncomfortable for long distances. The arm rests are exactly in the wrong places. The Jetta has that whole overly sensitivity thing going on with little in the way of driving feedback. The Subaru isn't an ergonomic nightmare, nor is is unnerving. I never said it was perfect, but I did say that hitting consistent line drive base hits for this car puts it ahead of cars that swing .225 with a few 500-foot homeruns.

I bet the differences between the BMW 5er and the MB E-Class aren't that big, either.

ifcar

The Impreza isn't consistently competitive though. It's expensive and gets lousy gas mileage (both thanks to AWD) and is arguably in the bottom tier of its class for quietness and interior quality. I'd sooner call it "mostly okay" for someone who doesn't need the all-wheel-drive.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on July 26, 2010, 07:39:45 PM
The Impreza isn't consistently competitive though. It's expensive and gets lousy gas mileage (both thanks to AWD) and is arguably in the bottom tier of its class for quietness and interior quality. I'd sooner call it "mostly okay" for someone who doesn't need the all-wheel-drive.

I'd rank it 3rd or 4th behind the 3, Civic, and maybe the VW even though I wouldn't own one. Only the Civic gets good gas mileage out of those three.

GoCougs

IMO the only reason to go Impreza is AWD. The Civic is a much better car otherwise.

the Teuton

Fortunately, the piece I wrote wasn't a comparo, but it's interesting to see why you all hate this car.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on July 26, 2010, 08:37:45 PM
Fortunately, the piece I wrote wasn't a comparo, but it's interesting to see why you all hate this car.

I don't hate it. For people who want a small car with all-wheel-drive, it's better than it's ever been -- more comfortable, roomier, safer. For people who just want a small car, there are better ways to spend your money.

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on July 26, 2010, 08:37:45 PM

Nah, not really - I think it pretty much known Subaru cheaps out a bit elsewhere on the car in order to be able to provide AWD at this price point.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on July 26, 2010, 08:49:40 PM
Nah, not really - I think it pretty much known Subaru cheaps out a bit elsewhere on the car in order to be able to provide AWD at this price point.
Where do you come up with this shit

omicron

I was just thinking the other day how smart the current Civics look - I've thrown out my initial objections to the British Type-R, and the sedan (particularly in Sport guise) is very handsome indeed. I still don't like the Nullarbor-Plain-meets-Ginza dashboard, but if the basic driving position is sound and it drives well, I could easily live with that.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 27, 2010, 07:45:38 AM

You been inside an Impreza? It's rather cheap.

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 27, 2010, 07:45:38 AM

That's been the case for some time. Subarus are fairly reliable, and they have good mechanical underpinnings, but like anything, their priorities involve a trade-off. Generally they lag behind the competition in terms of interior appointment.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on July 27, 2010, 09:35:26 AM
That's been the case for some time. Subarus are fairly reliable, and they have good mechanical underpinnings, but like anything, their priorities involve a trade-off. Generally they lag behind the competition in terms of interior appointment.

I'd say Subarus' durability is in question however, especially engines. Even today the 2.5L boxer, the core engine of the brand (at least in the US), still isn't all that well sorted, with a virtually guaranteed $3,500 head job needed at the 100k - 150k mark. I think they need to dump the boxer layout and do it like everyone else. There are no benefits and the detriments are major.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2010, 09:01:10 PM
I'd say Subarus' durability is in question however, especially engines. Even today the 2.5L boxer, the core engine of the brand (at least in the US), still isn't all that well sorted, with a virtually guaranteed $3,500 head job needed at the 100k - 150k mark. I think they need to dump the boxer layout and do it like everyone else. There are no benefits and the detriments are major.
*waits for Teuton to come in and tell Cougs how he is wrong even though Teuton already had a Scoob engine blow up on him* :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on July 27, 2010, 09:03:00 PM
*waits for Teuton to come in and tell Cougs how he is wrong even though Teuton already had a Scoob engine blow up on him* :lol:

Ha - well see!

Most any Subaru owner/devotee I know in real life readily admits to Subaru's well-earned reputation for premature (and expensive) head work on the boxer-4.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2010, 09:05:16 PM
Ha - well see!

Most any Subaru owner/devotee I know in real life readily admits to Subaru's well-earned reputation for premature (and expensive) head work on the boxer-4.

I must be in the minority, then. We've owned this Legacy since it was new, it's got 145k on it now (EJ22), no such problems.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi