BMW and Driver: Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 vs. Cadillac CTS-V

Started by cawimmer430, July 26, 2010, 10:58:19 AM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on August 03, 2010, 08:19:53 AM
Remember the Coraddo? This is basically the same proportions.
This thing is the Corrado taken to nightmarish extremes

The Corrado actually had good visibility out the rear window. This thing might as well not even have one

And at least the Aztek served some purpose. This thing is like a Acura ZDX coupe

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 03, 2010, 08:28:14 AM
This thing is the Corrado taken to nightmarish extremes

The Corrado actually had good visibility out the rear window. This thing might as well not even have one

And at least the Aztek served some purpose. This thing is like a Acura ZDX coupe

This "Thing" is a regular Coupe to compete with the 3-series coupe and A5.

Besides.

MrH

Besides what? It has seats? Congrats, it's still hideous.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

I guess to its credit rear headroom's not (or shouldn't) be a problem

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on August 03, 2010, 08:19:53 AM

Your statement would be valid if it was universally hated (i.e. Aztek) but it's not.

Remember the Coraddo? This is basically the same proportions.

In fact I saw one yesterday.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Onslaught

Quote from: 2o6 on August 03, 2010, 08:33:11 AM

I'd have to feel it before I can bash it too much. But I hate that cars have fake aluminum trim these days. My car has it and it makes me mad. But if I got a car that cost that much and it had plastic painted like metal then I'd be more then mad.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Onslaught on August 03, 2010, 03:53:20 PM
I'd have to feel it before I can bash it too much. But I hate that cars have fake aluminum trim these days. My car has it and it makes me mad. But if I got a car that cost that much and it had plastic painted like metal then I'd be more then mad.

I agree, I hate faux aluminium. It's ugly. Fake wood is at least slightly more elegant.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 04, 2010, 03:13:56 AM

I agree, I hate faux aluminium. It's ugly. Fake wood is at least slightly more elegant.
My moms CTS has a faux CF instead of wood. That would work better in the CTS-V!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Nethead

Quote from: Madman on July 28, 2010, 07:31:23 PM

Did you ever consider the possibility they chose the M3 because it's a wonderfully brilliant car and is still the benchmark in it's class?

Score one for the MadDude!  One of the ten best cars money can buy, and one of the ten best cars ever.

So many stairs...so little time...

Nethead

Quote from: Onslaught on August 03, 2010, 03:53:20 PM

Onslaught:  Mustangs have genuine aluminum trim in their interiors--no plastics posing as aluminum anywhere.  The trim in Mustangs that looks like aluminum does so because it is.  One less thing to hate in (some) cars these days.  

Nethead

In the end (heh heh), a valiant effort to be bold in paper & clay turned out to be fucked up in sheetmetal & glass.  Not Aztek fucked up, of course, but fucked up nonetheless... 

That awful, awful third brakelight is clearly the third eye of this vehicle. :facepalm: 

But in an era when coupes are scarce, the Nethead here has more charity than I otherwise would:  Give it a rest--the reality is none of us were gonna put a downpayment on a CTS coupe anyway, including those who claim ( :huh:) to like the Baleful Buttocks.  But the Dreadful Derriere removes all residual guilt anyone mighta had for passing on a Cadillac again...

Onslaught

Quote from: Nethead on August 04, 2010, 11:03:55 AM
Onslaught:  Mustangs have genuine aluminum trim in their interiors--no plastics posing as aluminum anywhere.  The trim in Mustangs that looks like aluminum does so because it is.  One less thing to hate in (some) cars these days.  
Um, you sure about that? I've been in one and that didn't stand out to me. And any Ford I've worked (probably thousands)  on over the last 16+ years didn't have real aluminum. Just plastic with chrome over it.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on August 04, 2010, 04:02:17 PM
Um, you sure about that? I've been in one and that didn't stand out to me. And any Ford I've worked (probably thousands)  on over the last 16+ years didn't have real aluminum. Just plastic with chrome over it.
The Bullitt had a machined aluminum dash, but none of the other interiors in the car got it AKAIK.

MX793

Um, you sure about that? I've been in one and that didn't stand out to me. And any Ford I've worked (probably thousands)  on over the last 16+ years didn't have real aluminum. Just plastic with chrome over it.

2010 and up actually uses real aluminum trim pieces in the premium models.  Ford made a big deal about it when the car came out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Count me as another that digs the way the CTS coupe looks (I dig the sedan too).

I haven't seen a CTS coupe on the road yet though, so that could change my mind...but in pictures I dig it.

BTW I am surprised the RS5 is so heavy. I thought Audi was making a concerted effort to trim down their cars weights recently.

I can understand the complaints about the steering in the Audi (relative to a BMW). My A4 1.8T didn't have particularly good steering and even my S4, while adequate, is nothing to write home about. This has always been a strong suit of BMW's though. I haven't driven a current gen CTS so I can't really comment on their car's steering, but the previous gen CTS had pretty good steering feel.

sportyaccordy

SJ I think your S4 is the first one to have the tie rods ahead of the front axle, which supposedly makes a huge difference. That might be nullified by quattro + the 2000lb of weight on the front wheels though.

Nethead

Yes, I am.  No plastic painted to look like aluminum.  It looks like aluminum because it is aluminum.  Tool on down to your local Ford dealer and check out an oh-eleven's interior.  Leave the checkbook at home--they're pretty tempting once you actually check 'em out like you would if you were thinkin' about buyin' one.

Submariner

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 04, 2010, 03:13:56 AM

+1

Fake aluminum is painfully obvious - why some manufacturers insist on it, I will never know. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

pendyman

Wall Street Journal:

?Cadillac?s CTS-V Coupe Makes German Rivals Look Like Taxis?

QuoteStyling: Not even close. The CTS-V is a visual event, an annunciation, a car that radiates masculinity and soul as if it were a fresh fuel rod. Go ahead and park the CTS-V next to the German rivals. Open yourself up to the melancholic moment when the two other cars seem to shrink, to shrivel into ordinariness, to waste away like a worm on a hot muffler. I?m not saying the CTS-V is aesthetically perfect. I?m saying it makes the German cars look like taxis. End of debate.

Article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2010/08/06/cadillacs-cts-v-coupe-makes-german-rivals-look-like-taxis/

:clap:

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD