Future of American small trucks

Started by Mustangfan2003, July 26, 2010, 03:27:14 PM

Mustangfan2003

Why so angry anyway?  Must be watching all that Washington State football, that'd make me want to shoot my tv.

Laconian

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on August 04, 2010, 10:36:03 PM
Why so angry anyway?  Must be watching all that Washington State football, that'd make me want to shoot my tv.
:lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on August 03, 2010, 10:09:25 PM

Granted, if the independent setup had even more travel than I drew, it could work just fine, but then we have that equivalency thing. Also notice that the independent rig is at an angle to the ground that the solid axle rig is not. That becomes a practical comfort issue.

Theoretically, you can make an independent suspension that is as good as any solid axle setup off road, but you sacrifice more than the solid axle does in on-road handling (which, of course, is the point that all production independent suspensions, except maybe the H1, excel at). So, you aren't totally wrong, here, just in the practical sense.

Guys, as an example, the above should have you Picard face palming. The rig on the left would be level too. F=kx is agnostic when it comes to suspension type.

The only anger is the trolling by a few - and WSU football was never about winning save for the Bledsoe/Leaf '90s. Even so with a dead last/luck to be in the Pac-10 budget, we have some of the best fans outside the SEC.

Mustangfan2003

You guys had a decent coach till he went to Alabama and hooked up with thats stripper. 

omicron

Quote from: SVT666 on August 02, 2010, 06:53:14 PM
Like I said, you can carry 2000 lbs in any 1/2 ton, but they are rated at anywhere between 1400-1700 lbs.  Look it up.

The current Super Pursuit ute (ie, the least-workmanlike of all Falcon ute variants) is rated at 1190lbs, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'd happily make the sacrifice, especially when the 5.0 Mustang V8 is fitted later in the year.

Hell, an XR6 Cab-Chassis like this one:

is rated at 2733lbs.

rohan

Quote from: SVT666 on August 01, 2010, 06:30:50 PM
You can't use the Excursion to decide which pickup is best...it's not a pickup.
So....a vehicle produced on a truck frame with truck parts and truck engine and transmission isn't a something a guy can use to decide if he likes the vehicle line or not?  :rolleyes:  The only real diff is it's got windows over the bed of the truck.  The dodge trucks in the half ton ride volumes better than the Fords do and are now at least as nice as the fords inside.  The 3/4 ton dodges are just better than fords because of engines Cummins > everything else and they have nicer/as nice as finishes.  I agree with the others brand loyalty is etremely fierce in trucks.  And just because something sells better doesn't means it's better.  More Sony surround systems get sold then Bose but Bose is still lightyears better.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: GoCougs on August 04, 2010, 11:23:20 PM
- and WSU football was never about winning save for the Bledsoe/Leaf '90s. Even so with a dead last/luck to be in the Pac-10 budget, we have some of the best fans outside the SEC.
Was never about winning?  Why the hell even spend the money of a program then?  That's just plain dumb.  But nobody has worse fans than UofM and Notre Lame- they're pretty much hated where ever they go by pretty much every fans they run into.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on August 06, 2010, 09:35:39 AM
So....a vehicle produced on a truck frame with truck parts and truck engine and transmission isn't a something a guy can use to decide if he likes the vehicle line or not?  :rolleyes:  The only real diff is it's got windows over the bed of the truck.  
No it's not.  For example, go drive a 3/4 ton suburban and then go drive a 3/4 Chevy pickup and come back and tell me they're the same.

QuoteThe dodge trucks in the half ton ride volumes better than the Fords do and are now at least as nice as the fords inside.  The 3/4 ton dodges are just better than fords because of engines Cummins > everything else and they have nicer/as nice as finishes.  I agree with the others brand loyalty is etremely fierce in trucks.  And just because something sells better doesn't means it's better.  More Sony surround systems get sold then Bose but Bose is still lightyears better.
Brand loyalty is extremely fierce, but the trend does not make sense, since Chevy leads the 1/2 ton segment and Ford utterly dominates the Heavy Duty segment.  If brand loyalty played as big a role in the heavy duty segment as it does int he 1/2 ton segment, the sales numbers should reflect that.  They don't, so there has to be another reason for it other then brand loyalty.

rohan

Fleet sales.  Ford offers fleet stuff very cheap compared to others.  Again just because they sell more doesn't mean they're better look at police cars the Charger is vastly superior to the Crown in every catagory except trunks space but the CVPI outsells it 5:1 or more.  Why?  Brand loyalty same reason some admins won't buy Fords but will buy chevy's they were patrolmen when the Caprice reached it's best point with the Corvette engine and they still think it's the best brand.  Same for trucks ford used to be the best half ton but now it's outclassed by the Dodge and Chevy in ride/power/comfort/quietness.  I've been thinking about getting rid of the Durango and getting a truck and I've been driving them all- Dodge is best at almost everything but comfort and the GMC gets the nod in comfort and quietness in my opinion.

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on August 04, 2010, 11:23:20 PM
Guys, as an example, the above should have you Picard face palming. The rig on the left would be level too. F=kx is agnostic when it comes to suspension type.

No, buddy, that's not what that is showing. Re-read what I wrote and you didn't respond to before. The wheel of the independent rig is not quite touching the ground.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA