Future of American small trucks

Started by Mustangfan2003, July 26, 2010, 03:27:14 PM

Mustangfan2003

I remember a few years ago a local dealer was selling a base model Rangers for around $10k.  That is the lowest I've seen a new truck.  As for the Mahindra truck the price will be a strong point but I think it might hunt them a bit if they don't offer a gas engine.  Also, if it was me I would wait and see how they are in reliability. 

omicron

Forget Mahindra - you should look forward to these Great Walls we've got!

68_427

Quote from: omicron on July 27, 2010, 12:11:47 PM
Forget Mahindra

It looks like the worst POS truck ever produced.  Words can not express..
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

omicron

Quote from: 68_427 on July 27, 2010, 12:35:30 PM
It looks like the worst POS truck ever produced.  Words can not express..

A WALL TRUCK OF GREATNESS. CAN BE SEEN FROM SPACE.

CALL_911

Behold, the Great Wall Cool Bear:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Mustangfan2003

It would look better smashed into a wall.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 27, 2010, 12:40:29 PM
Behold, the Great Wall Cool Bear:

Don't forget about the Great Wall Peri!

Great Wall is a joke.

Cookie Monster

Is it bad that I think the Cool Bear looks pretty good? :mask:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Mustangfan2003

Cool Bear was the best name they could come up with?

68_427

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 27, 2010, 02:12:53 PM
Cool Bear was the best name they could come up with?

Cool Bear is probably the best name anyone's ever come up with.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT32V

Quote from: 68_427 on July 27, 2010, 02:16:41 PM
Cool Bear is probably the best name anyone's ever come up with.

Except it comes from a country where their favorite bear is a vegetarian, veggie bears are not respectable.

Nethead

And the GWCB has it all over the butt-ugly Nissan Cube.
Then, too, the GWCB shoulda been named the Diet Flex.

"Cool Bear" :facepalm:
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Don't worry Mustangfan2003, Cougs is a Ford hater and he shows it every time he posts some crap about why the Ford pickups are the worst on the market and the Mustang is far worse then the Camaro, despite the fact he's never driven any of them and refuses to.  The Mustang is full of fail because it's 5 years old, has only 412 hp, and has a solid rear axle despite being superior to the Camaro in virtually every category...and he refuses to drive either the Camaro or the Mustang.  The F-Series is full of fail because it has the lowest horsepower ratings despite being...the best at everything it does.  The Fusion is full of fail because it is 5 years old despite being heavily revised and considered by most publications to be better than his precious Accord and just as good as the current Accord.  He's a hater and haters will hate no matter what.

GoCougs

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 26, 2010, 11:34:44 PM
Could be, who knows until the figures are released but an Ecoboost engine will be offered.  I'm going to say it will have atleast 350hp.

Well, Ford has to do something to replace the embarassing dinosaur Modular, which I think we can both agree.

However, I see it unlikely Ford would develop two disparate engines of the same approximate power range for the same vehicle - a detuned 5.0L V8 (350 - 375 hp) and the Ecoboost V6 (350 hp+).

Raza

Quote from: SVT32V on July 27, 2010, 03:41:56 PM
Except it comes from a country where their favorite bear is a vegetarian, veggie bears are not respectable.

Vegetarians of all kinds deserve to be mocked and persecuted until they become omnivorous.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

In my experience, the Ram is the best truck for actually doing truck things, especially the 3/4 ton iteration.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on July 30, 2010, 02:05:13 PM
In my experience, the Ram is the best truck for actually doing truck things, especially the 3/4 ton iteration.
In the Heavy Duty range, Ford and Dodge are pretty close in my opinion, but the fact that the F-Series Super Duty is far and away the best seller is pretty telling.  In the half ton segment, you can't go wrong with any of the trucks available, except maybe the Titan.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on July 30, 2010, 03:25:25 PM
In the Heavy Duty range, Ford and Dodge are pretty close in my opinion, but the fact that the F-Series Super Duty is far and away the best seller is pretty telling.  In the half ton segment, you can't go wrong with any of the trucks available, except maybe the Titan.

I don't think it's telling at all.  People just don't know any better.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on July 30, 2010, 03:27:56 PM
I don't think it's telling at all.  People just don't know any better.
Maybe it's because most of the Heavy Duty pickups are sold to people who actually use them for what they're designed for, and people buy what works best.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on July 30, 2010, 03:50:11 PM
Maybe it's because most of the Heavy Duty pickups are sold to people who actually use them for what they're designed for, and people buy what works best.
Or maybe it's because people stick with the badge. The Camry isn't really any better than its competition but still outsells them because of its name.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on July 30, 2010, 04:40:53 PM
Or maybe it's because people stick with the badge. The Camry isn't really any better than its competition but still outsells them because of its name.
Since the GM half-tons are far and away the best selling half-tons, why aren't their Heavy Duties selling better then their Ford counterpart?  I think when it comes to the Heavy Duty trucks, buyers tend to buy what works best for them.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on July 30, 2010, 05:20:18 PM
Since the GM half-tons are far and away the best selling half-tons, why aren't their Heavy Duties selling better then their Ford counterpart?  I think when it comes to the Heavy Duty trucks, buyers tend to buy what works best for them.

I agree with Rag on this one.I'd say about half of truck buyers know what they want and know about the trucks, and the other half buys a Ford because they aren't properly educated.  (Not saying the Fords are bad trucks, just that un-educated people hear "The Ford F-series, the best selling truck in America For 32 years" or something like that, and by default they think it's the best.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on July 30, 2010, 06:48:54 PM
I agree with Rag on this one.I'd say about half of truck buyers know what they want and know about the trucks, and the other half buys a Ford because they aren't properly educated.  (Not saying the Fords are bad trucks, just that un-educated people hear "The Ford F-series, the best selling truck in America For 32 years" or something like that, and by default they think it's the best.
That could be the case for the F-150, but I think it's less of a factor with the Heavy Duty pickups.  The guys who drive them usually have a lot of experience with those trucks and are buying them for their capabilities which could explain the large discrepancy between the sales numbers for half tons and the sales numbers for the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on July 30, 2010, 03:50:11 PM

I don't know about that... I think it is probably true that a higher percentage of 3/4 ton truck buyers both have a clue and a legitimate need, but I still think that most of them don't know anything or have a need.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

GoCougs

Ah, yes, if it's a best seller and it's a Ford that makes it the best vehicle.

:facepalm:

Ford Super Duty isn't exactly a fleet queen but it is a fleet staple as it shares a lot with its medium-duty trucks allowing for economies of scale in production and multi-model fleet discounts.

GM never did much in the medium truck market and actually discontinued its medium truck line (Top Kick/Kodiak) last year.

Rupert

Admittedly, I haven't driven a newest generation Ford 3/4 ton, but I have driven the Excursion quite a bit. I would take the Dodge 2500 over the Ford any day. I like the GM 2500, except that they don't have enough clearance, which is so critical for those long wheelbases.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 01, 2010, 03:17:02 PM
Ah, yes, if it's a best seller and it's a Ford that makes it the best vehicle.

:facepalm:

Ford Super Duty isn't exactly a fleet queen but it is a fleet staple as it shares a lot with its medium-duty trucks allowing for economies of scale in production and multi-model fleet discounts.

GM never did much in the medium truck market and actually discontinued its medium truck line (Top Kick/Kodiak) last year.

As far as I know, the GM Heavy Duty pickups are bigger fleet queens than the Ford Super Duty, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  When it comes to trucks that are actually being used by people who will actually use them for what they are built for, then I take sales numbers as a indicator as to which is best.  GMC/Chevy own the half-ton market, so the trend would indicate they should also own the heavy duty segment, but they don't.  Ford dominates that segment in a big way, leading me to believe that the people who actually use their trucks for hauling and towing, know which truck is best.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on August 01, 2010, 03:22:25 PM
Admittedly, I haven't driven a newest generation Ford 3/4 ton, but I have driven the Excursion quite a bit. I would take the Dodge 2500 over the Ford any day. I like the GM 2500, except that they don't have enough clearance, which is so critical for those long wheelbases.
You can't use the Excursion to decide which pickup is best...it's not a pickup.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on August 01, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Just as the F150 hasn't be a class leader in decades neither has the Super Duty, IMO primarily owing to inferior drive trains, and to a lesser extent old-school front live axle on 4wd models (Chevy 3/4- and 1-tons use IFS).

The Excursion was a lousy vehicle - the Suburban was a far superior vehicle.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on August 01, 2010, 06:30:05 PM
As far as I know, the GM Heavy Duty pickups are bigger fleet queens than the Ford Super Duty, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  When it comes to trucks that are actually being used by people who will actually use them for what they are built for, then I take sales numbers as a indicator as to which is best.  GMC/Chevy own the half-ton market, so the trend would indicate they should also own the heavy duty segment, but they don't.  Ford dominates that segment in a big way, leading me to believe that the people who actually use their trucks for hauling and towing, know which truck is best.

All of the American 3/4 tons will haul and tow a lot, and do it pretty well. IMO, there is still a lot of brand loyalty in this segment. I don't think sales numbers are ever good evidence for which vehicle is best, anyway.