Zero-alcohol limit for drivers 21 and under

Started by SVT_Power, July 27, 2010, 12:45:49 AM

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 28, 2010, 01:08:20 AM
Now that I think about it, I just had a couple of drinks before driving home. In 4 days, I won't be able to do that. :wtf:

Yes you will... :mask:

But I'm not sure dazzle will be as impressed with a DUI so you better step on it if your see  :pullover:

:lol:
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

What if the DUI followed an epic chase across county lines, that ended with SVT jumping a river?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dsred

Can you say "police state"? Julian Fantino is a fascist.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dsred on July 28, 2010, 06:43:26 PM
Can you say "police state"? Julian Fantino is a fascist.
Can't say I care much for Fantino.  Big ego, big mouth; couldn't stand that Cam Woolley was appreciated by the public and tried to belittle him.  Upon retirement he no doubt will slither into some primordial morass and reemerge as a politician; his true calling.  As for Bill Blair, he's a good cop imo.  First good chief they've had in Toronto for a long time.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dsred

Cam Wolley is no better. He comes across as a brainwashed Barney Fife.

AutobahnSHO

sorry to all you drinkers but I believe a 0% alcohol + driving should be enacted for all ages. for obvious reasons.
Will

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 28, 2010, 07:11:36 PM
sorry to all you drinkers but I believe a 0% alcohol + driving should be enacted for all ages. for obvious reasons.

So you can't even have a nice glass of wine with your meal and then drive home? That's a bit extreme.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on July 28, 2010, 07:13:17 PM
So you can't even have a nice glass of wine with your meal and then drive home? That's a bit extreme.

He doesn't drink. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 28, 2010, 07:01:57 PM
Can't say I care much for Fantino.  Big ego, big mouth; couldn't stand that Cam Woolley was appreciated by the public and tried to belittle him.  Upon retirement he no doubt will slither into some primordial morass and reemerge as a politician; his true calling.  As for Bill Blair, he's a good cop imo.  First good chief they've had in Toronto for a long time.

Bill Blair. I have to admit he's done a decent job of keeping Toronto under control even with the recent (over the last few years) increase in gang and gun related violence. But where he lost all confidence from me is when he was addressing the media after the G20 mess about the 5m law that apparently was never in effect. When media started asking him questions, he just simply smirked and left. What's that supposed to mean? "I'm a giant douchebag and I'll impose whatever I want to impose on the city as long as Dalton Mcqueerty says I can"?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Even when a single drink doesn't really affect anything?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

A single drink has an affect on most people, but the affect is small enough that it doesn't impair driving enough that driving is unsafe.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

goldenlover1101

Agreed, but I don't think it can be age discriminate if it is legal to drink.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

bing_oh

Alright, since Raza apologized, I'll answer his question...

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2010, 03:03:14 PMWhat's the waiting period?

There's a mandatory 20 minute observation period before a breath test to guarantee that any residual mouth alcohol is gone. During that 20 minutes, you have to be observed by the testing officer and you're not permitted to have anything in your mouth (including things like tongue piercings or dentures). Alcohol in the mouth should be gone within 10 minutes, but we're required to do 20 to be totally fair.

BimmerM3

Quote from: bing_oh on July 29, 2010, 06:39:00 AM
(including things like tongue piercings or dentures).

Damn, that would suck if it were a new piercing.

Raza

There's a mandatory 20 minute observation period before a breath test to guarantee that any residual mouth alcohol is gone. During that 20 minutes, you have to be observed by the testing officer and you're not permitted to have anything in your mouth (including things like tongue piercings or dentures). Alcohol in the mouth should be gone within 10 minutes, but we're required to do 20 to be totally fair.

So you're still inconvenienced for at least 20 minutes if you test a false positive.  That sucks. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 29, 2010, 08:31:45 AM
Damn, that would suck if it were a new piercing.

I avoid this issue cleverly by not getting my tongue pierced. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

What, did someone invent a tongue ring that absorbs alcohol from your blood? :lol:

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on July 29, 2010, 10:38:23 AM
So you're still inconvenienced for at least 20 minutes if you test a false positive.  That sucks. 

Let's be honest. If a traffic stop gets to the point where you were identified as being potentially intoxicated, failed a field sobriety test and are waiting for a breath test to confirm, is there really ANY chance that it was a "false positive?"

Rupert

Yes, and that's why there is the breath test. Duh.

Tave

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 29, 2010, 12:48:19 PM
What, did someone invent a tongue ring that absorbs alcohol from your blood? :lol:

I think he meant that a tongue ring had the (extremely rare) potential to give a false positive because you use rubbing alcohol to clean the ring, but that's just my wild-ass speculation.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Minpin

Quote from: Tave on July 30, 2010, 12:29:13 AM
I think he meant that a tongue ring had the (extremely rare) potential to give a false positive because you use rubbing alcohol to clean the ring, but that's just my wild-ass speculation.

I took it as removing all variables in the test. Same as why they make you wait; they want a controlled test.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

bing_oh

Quote from: Tave on July 30, 2010, 12:29:13 AMI think he meant that a tongue ring had the (extremely rare) potential to give a false positive because you use rubbing alcohol to clean the ring, but that's just my wild-ass speculation.

Actually, no.

Quote from: Minpin on July 30, 2010, 12:34:58 AMI took it as removing all variables in the test. Same as why they make you wait; they want a controlled test.

This is a much better explanation of why things like piercings have to be removed from the mouth. It's basically to remove any possible variable that might later bring into question the test in court. Basically, it's to remove the possible argument that "pockets" of alcohol were trapped under mouth obstructions like piercings or dentures (as rare as such an occurance would actually be) and made the test unnaturally high.

bing_oh

Quote from: TurboDan on July 29, 2010, 04:08:07 PMLet's be honest. If a traffic stop gets to the point where you were identified as being potentially intoxicated, failed a field sobriety test and are waiting for a breath test to confirm, is there really ANY chance that it was a "false positive?"

Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

While there probably aren't many experienced LEO's out there who haven't had a "low test" or a "squeaker" (ie, someone who tests under the .08 limit after giving PC for an arrest during field tests), it's actually a pretty rare occurance. Not to mention that (in most if not all states) it's a different violation to test over certan BAC limits than it is to be impaired. You don't need to have a BAC test to be charged with and convicted of DUI...the officer only has to prove impairment.

BENZ BOY15

I'm pretty anti drinking & driving. This is a little silly given that you can drink legally anyway. For a DUI, I think the punishment (in the US at least) is far too weak. A night in jail and a slap on the wrist doesn't cut it.

What also doesn't cut it is when someone has 8 DUIs and they still have the right to drive and on their 9th DUI, they end up killing someone. Only in the US.

AutobahnSHO

Yeah, two DUIs in most of Europe would probably have your license.  FOREVER.
Will

SVT_Power

I should have a couple of drinks and then drive home just before midnight tonight.

dazzleman

And make sure you're going 40+ km/hr over ths speed limit when you do it, Eddie...:devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on July 31, 2010, 08:21:42 PM
And make sure you're going 40+ km/hr over ths speed limit when you do it, Eddie...:devil:

40 km/h over? I don't go that slow. 40 mph over is more like it.

SVT_Power

I ended up having a couple of beers and a couple of shots tonight before driving home. But it was over the span of like 2-3 hrs and it was with dinner. It was really close to home and I've never ever seen a checkpoint anywhere near my place so I did it. My mom was also with me and she didn't say I couldn't drive.   

But either way it was before midnight.

Well I guess as of 16 minutes ago, I can't have any alcohol in my system while driving.