GM?s Volt priced for the average family

Started by SVT_Power, July 28, 2010, 10:47:00 AM

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2010, 11:32:36 AM
There is no value in technology just for technology's sake. $350 a month to LEASE? You can lease and gas up a Civic for about that much, or you could outright buy a Civic for about 300-350/mo and at least have a $12-15K car at the end. Or a Prius or Insight or whatever. Not worth it is an understatement.

Um, I don't know where you're getting your lease rates, but when I leased out a Civic Si at 23K, they were asking $423 a month.  Those $199 leases you see advertised on TV are all after a large cap cost reduction, which is insane on a lease. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 28, 2010, 11:43:38 AM
Speaking of the Prius I remember seeing one about a year ago one night at an intersection.  Right before the light changed I saw one of the passengers toss a cigarette butt out the window  :facepalm:

Smokers can't want better gas mileage?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2010, 05:30:05 PM
Um, I don't know where you're getting your lease rates, but when I leased out a Civic Si at 23K, they were asking $423 a month.  Those $199 leases you see advertised on TV are all after a large cap cost reduction, which is insane on a lease. 
That's what I was going off of... my bad

$423 a month for a CSi is pretty ridic though... even for a 24 month lease, that means they think the car will be worth 13K only after 2 years, which is super low. $200-250 makes more sense given the Civic's low depreciation.

Still though you can finance a $20K Civic outright for like 350/mo if your credit is good, and of course at the end of 5 years you're left with a 10-13K car... whereas w/the Volt you have to deal with the paradox of not being able to charge the car in an urban setting, or not being able to drive the car because of its short range. Whole thing seems pointless

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2010, 05:35:28 PM
That's what I was going off of... my bad

$423 a month for a CSi is pretty ridic though... even for a 24 month lease, that means they think the car will be worth 13K only after 2 years, which is super low. $200-250 makes more sense given the Civic's low depreciation.

Still though you can finance a $20K Civic outright for like 350/mo if your credit is good, and of course at the end of 5 years you're left with a 10-13K car... whereas w/the Volt you have to deal with the paradox of not being able to charge the car in an urban setting, or not being able to drive the car because of its short range. Whole thing seems pointless

I'm not saying that the Civic isn't a better value proposition, just that it wasn't as cheap as you thought was.  (Didn't mean to sound like a dick in the first post, that's my bad)

Those $199 leases are usually subsidized by Honda (usually to clear out dealer lots for a new model year) and/or the result of insane down payments (which don't make sense on a lease anyway) and/or teaser rates on strippers to get you to buy a more expensive model.  I remember a local dealer was advertising $99/month Jetta leases.  Base model Jettas, no options but automatic, and $8,000 down.  That's nearly 50% upfront.  The $199 Civic leases aren't as insane, but I'd imagine they required down is somewhere around 20%.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2010, 05:42:10 PM
I'm not saying that the Civic isn't a better value proposition, just that it wasn't as cheap as you thought was.  (Didn't mean to sound like a dick in the first post, that's my bad)

Those $199 leases are usually subsidized by Honda (usually to clear out dealer lots for a new model year) and/or the result of insane down payments (which don't make sense on a lease anyway) and/or teaser rates on strippers to get you to buy a more expensive model.  I remember a local dealer was advertising $99/month Jetta leases.  Base model Jettas, no options but automatic, and $8,000 down.  That's nearly 50% upfront.  The $199 Civic leases aren't as insane, but I'd imagine they required down is somewhere around 20%.

Damn they really make out like bandits with that then. I guess that's their duty

2o6

This lease will be comparable to a midsizer. I have seen that most non-outrageous leases of midsize cars are in the $300-375 a month range.

Rich

. whereas w/the Volt you have to deal with...... not being able to drive the car because of its short range.

For real?  Do you know anything about the Volt?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

whereas w/the Volt you have to deal with the paradox of not being able to charge the car in an urban setting, or not being able to drive the car because of its short range. Whole thing seems pointless

The Volt is a gas/electric hybrid.  Your range is ultimately limited by when you run the fuel tank empty (I'm guessing after a couple of hundred miles) like any other car.  When the tank is empty, you can pull into the nearest fuel station and within 10 minutes be back on your way.  The "plug-in" charging simply provides an alternative charging method so you don't have to rely only on the gasoline engine to keep the batteries topped off as you do with a non-plug-in hybrid like the Prius (which may result in next to zero fuel consumption if all you do is short commuting), although you can certainly operate the car without ever using the plug-in capability.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on July 28, 2010, 07:26:54 PM
The Volt is a gas/electric hybrid.  Your range is ultimately limited by when you run the fuel tank empty (I'm guessing after a couple of hundred miles) like any other car.  When the tank is empty, you can pull into the nearest fuel station and within 10 minutes be back on your way.  The "plug-in" charging simply provides an alternative charging method so you don't have to rely only on the gasoline engine to keep the batteries topped off as you do with a non-plug-in hybrid like the Prius (which may result in next to zero fuel consumption if all you do is short commuting), although you can certainly operate the car without ever using the plug-in capability.

And unlike the Prius, the gas engine only charges the battery.  It does not turn the wheels (unless the design has changed since I wrote a paper on it a couple years ago).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2010, 07:28:36 PM
And unlike the Prius, the gas engine only charges the battery.  It does not turn the wheels (unless the design has changed since I wrote a paper on it a couple years ago).

I heard it wasn't as cut and dry as that. I think it's pretty complicated how the IC engine works with the electric motor.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 28, 2010, 07:48:30 PM
I heard it wasn't as cut and dry as that. I think it's pretty complicated how the IC engine works with the electric motor.

Basically, the only thing the IC engine does is charges the battery. It isn't connected to the drive wheels at all.

What else could it do?

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 28, 2010, 07:48:30 PM

The IC engine turns a generator, the generator powers the electric motor(s) (and charges the batteries with any surplus).  It's really not that complex.  At least not as mechanically complicated as Toyota's system where both the IC engine and the electric motor are mechanically tied to the drive wheels so that either may be directly acting on the drive wheels.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

goldenlover1101

I gotta say the Volt is an exciting vehicle, at least for me. The technology behind it makes more sense than the pious and returns much better numbers. Yes the price is high, but $33,000 (after government tax rebates) is not extremely unreasonable for a car that under that can return 100+ mpg (from my understanding) and is packed with cutting edge technology. Will it be a hit? I am not sure! It depends on how they market and how the average sheeple perceives the Volt when compared with a Prius. I gotta say, I love the name!

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

GoCougs

Without extensive use of the plug-in feature the Volt probably won't get as good MPG as a regular ole hybrid. Without any reserve juice in the batteries the IC engine + generator + hybrid will be less efficient than a IC engine + hybrid. There is an efficiency loss in the generator + motor not present in a hybrid not running on batteries.

goldenlover1101

There is no point of purchasing it though unless you understand the system and know it will meet your needs. I think thats the case with all hybrids. If your commute is 1 hour of highway driving, a prius makes no sense. Same case with the Volt, and I think if it fits your commute you will be rewarded with amazing mpg. Could be wrong though. I gotta say, GM has some serious hype to live up to with this car.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2010, 04:13:32 PM
Considering how they really don't share much (other than the 1.4T) you're wrong.

It's the same platform.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2010, 09:19:37 PM
It's the same platform.

Not really. The car had to be altered (by a LOT) to accommodate those batteries.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2010, 09:38:01 PM

Not really. The car had to be altered (by a LOT) to accommodate those batteries.

It's the same platform.

And it's a lot of money for a little bit of car when the Leaf will be $8k cheaper. This thing also needs premium gas to power its 80 hp 1.4 liter engine.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2010, 09:56:15 PM
It's the same platform.

And it's a lot of money for a little bit of car when the Leaf will be $8k cheaper. This thing also needs premium gas to power its 80 hp 1.4 liter engine.

One: $7500 tax credit brings the Volt to roughly the same price as a Leaf, and the Leaf's range is smaller.

Two: Premium gas means nothing, most turbo motors need premium. (Except for that black magic Sonata, and I think that's grossly overrated or has serious longevity issues)

Three: Platform is not exactly the same as the Cruze.

the Teuton

One: Doesn't the Leaf qualify for the same credit?

Two: But the Sonata set the standard. The EcoBoost isn't too far behind, either. This smells like fail.

Three: Volt:Cruze::Lincoln LS:Ford Thunderbird

It's the same platform. It also will cost some $15k more than a loaded Cruze and seat one less person.

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on July 28, 2010, 07:58:05 PM
The IC engine turns a generator, the generator powers the electric motor(s) (and charges the batteries with any surplus).  It's really not that complex.  At least not as mechanically complicated as Toyota's system where both the IC engine and the electric motor are mechanically tied to the drive wheels so that either may be directly acting on the drive wheels.

Nah, the explanation I heard was much more complicated. I can't remember what it was though, I'll have to find it.

edit: Haven't found anything saying anything different. Maybe I'm just imagining it.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2010, 09:56:15 PM
It's the same platform.

The Leaf is also limited in its range. You can't take one on a cross-country trip without stopping for hours to charge the batteries. The Volt you can just pull into a gas station and go for another couple hundred miles.

goldenlover1101

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2010, 10:06:40 PM
One: Doesn't the Leaf qualify for the same credit?

Two: But the Sonata set the standard. The EcoBoost isn't too far behind, either. This smells like fail.

Three: Volt:Cruze::Lincoln LS:Ford Thunderbird

It's the same platform. It also will cost some $15k more than a loaded Cruze and seat one less person.
Yes the leaf is eligible for the asme tax credit bringing its price down to about 25k. I am not sure the Sonata and Ecoboost are exact comparisons for these cars, more the Prius and Insight are the closest competition, and these more start a new class as "Primarily Electric Vehicles". Put the same technology in a Sonata or Ford and lets see what they sell for. These cars are ideal for their designated market.

And also, the Volt has the Leaf beat right now in everyday usability with our limited electric refilling infrastructure since it has an IC to recharge the battery thus having an indefinite range.

Questions: Are they going to measure mpg per the same EPA tests because won't these both read infinite (I think the EPA loop is something like 60 miles - Could be wrong though)

Rich

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2010, 10:02:03 PM

One: $7500 tax credit brings the Volt to roughly the same price as a Leaf, and the Leaf's range is smaller.

Two: Premium gas means nothing, most turbo motors need premium. (Except for that black magic Sonata, and I think that's grossly overrated or has serious longevity issues)

Three: Platform is not exactly the same as the Cruze.

The Volt 1.4 does not have a turbo
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Not to mention the other, hidden costs of the Volt - the taxpayer money used to subsidize its R&D.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I don't understand why the Volt's gas motor is so pathetic........I was under the impression it was using the Atkinson cycle.

Quote from: Laconian on July 28, 2010, 10:26:59 PM
Not to mention the other, hidden costs of the Volt - the taxpayer money used to subsidize its R&D.

That's a whole 'nother semi-unrelated issue.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2010, 10:34:34 PM
I don't understand why the Volt's gas motor is so pathetic........I was under the impression it was using the Atkinson cycle.

That's a whole 'nother semi-unrelated issue.

It doesn't need to be a super-duper performer. Just gotta run a generator. No need for it to be too advanced as that will just drive up the cost.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 28, 2010, 10:38:03 PM

It doesn't need to be a super-duper performer. Just gotta run a generator. No need for it to be too advanced as that will just drive up the cost.

1.4L, premium fuel, and only 71HP?

The 1.2L in the Spark produces 81HP......

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2010, 10:34:34 PM

It might not be as pathetic as you think. HP figures for standard cars are measured at peak HP which is typically at high RPMs. Those engines might produce more impressive numbers but they spend a fraction of their life making 100% of their on-paper power. The Volt, on the other hand, will probably maintain engine RPMs within a fairly narrow range of operating speeds, and so the power number probably reflects that.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on July 28, 2010, 10:41:16 PM
It might not be as pathetic as you think. HP figures for standard cars are measured at peak HP which is typically at high RPMs. Those engines might produce more impressive numbers but they spend a fraction of their life making 100% of their on-paper power. The Volt, on the other hand, will probably maintain engine RPMs within a fairly narrow range of operating speeds, and so the power number probably reflects that.

That seems like it would be better suited for a diesel.

goldenlover1101

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2010, 10:41:51 PM
That seems like it would be better suited for a diesel.
Agreed, but we Americans have an unreasonable aversion to diesels