Luxury commuter car?

Started by Morris Minor, July 28, 2010, 12:35:10 PM

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on September 13, 2010, 01:43:27 PM
Used cars got brought up and accepted by the OP in teh very first page (1st gen Acura TSX), so that opened the door to me asking this question:

"Trying to get a handle on what you want to do here: you want good fuel economy so you don't spend much money, but you want to spend a buch on a car to get luxury feel and features, offsetting ANY gains you might make in fuel economy...

Sorry, but no new car is going to save you money out of your total budget, even if it gets spectacular fuel mileage. No car that costs very little on the used car market is going to be guaranteed reliable. No car that is luxurious and cheap is going to be small and get stellar city fuel mileage."

I was specifically trying to clarify what he was trying to save: money on fuel or money on luxury. If he was looking for low TCO. it's obvious he WANTS luxury, but needs to offset that with low TCO. And if economy and low cost is a priority, then new is not the way to go. If new is the priority, then you're simply not going to be spending as little as possible to get any luxury.

Small was a requirement because it's the way to get the most luxury for a low price in a new car, but it's a compromise borne of not wanting to spend money. Why compromise when you can get luxury and size and low TCO in a slighly used full size car that gives you all the luxury you want, while costing less per month in payments/fuel/insurance (and even repairs) than a cramped new small car with luxury pretenses?

I think what Morris speculated was pretty clear in the beginning: something along the lines of an LS460 packed into the body of a Corolla. I can see such a thing being appealing to pretty much anybody who drives a lot. That way, you get new-car reliability, small-car efficiency, and luxury-car comfort. Someone who puts a lot of miles into their commute is going to appreciate all three qualities.

CJ

I've been filling up twice a week.  I hate it.  I hate knowing that my car might leak a little fuel and I hate the price.  I just put $41 worth of premium in the 850 yesterday.

giant_mtb

What's the price of premium in your area, Ceej?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 01:46:50 PM
Morris Minor also said that the sheer girth of an Infiniti G was too large for him, thus he looking for something small.
Such details are immaterial to ChrisV. It's not about what Morris wants.

2o6

The new Lexus CT seems to satisfy his specifications to a tee.

ChrisV

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 13, 2010, 03:54:26 PM
I think what Morris speculated was pretty clear in the beginning: something along the lines of an LS460 packed into the body of a Corolla.

But he also said why, which was to keep costs down, which is why I was trying to get clarified in my response which was the top priority. If he was settling for a small luxury car to keep costs down, then he would obviously not be getting a small luxury car because he wanted SMALL. Do you see why I was asking?

I mean, yeah, buy an overpriced, gussied up Corolla if you have to have new and small, but still wnt luxury features. But if that's not what you want, merely what you think you have to have or have to settle for, then the question is much different, and there are a number of better answers out there for your hard earned dollar.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 13, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
Such details are immaterial to ChrisV. It's not about what Morris wants.

Actually it is, fuckstick, which is why I was trying to clarify his priorities, in order to find the best fit for what he WANTS vs whet he or others think he might have to settle for. But apparently reading and comprehending are not important to you, so long as you can whine about how mean I am to you.

:rolleyes:
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

93JC

Rabble rabble rabble rabble! :lol:

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on September 16, 2010, 02:08:31 PM
But he also said why, which was to keep costs down, which is why I was trying to get clarified in my response which was the top priority. If he was settling for a small luxury car to keep costs down, then he would obviously not be getting a small luxury car because he wanted SMALL. Do you see why I was asking?

I mean, yeah, buy an overpriced, gussied up Corolla if you have to have new and small, but still wnt luxury features. But if that's not what you want, merely what you think you have to have or have to settle for, then the question is much different, and there are a number of better answers out there for your hard earned dollar.

But he still didn't want something too big.

FoMoJo

GENESIS COUPE 2.0T - Automatic.  It's got paddle shifters if you're feeling sporty :huh:.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 16, 2010, 04:12:43 PM
GENESIS COUPE 2.0T - Automatic.  It's got paddle shifters if you're feeling sporty :huh:.

Cheaper inside, and still the same size as a G.

MX793

Quote from: ChrisV on September 16, 2010, 02:08:31 PM

"Costs" doesn't necessarily mean the purchase price of the vehicle.  It could also apply to operating costs (fuel consumption being one major component), which based on statements in the original post, appears to be the "cost" concern.  Further, it was made pretty clear (at least to me) that vehicle size in and of itself was not desired independent of cost.

...I don't want the bulk and expense of a large luxury car...My Pilot is too big, too unwieldy and drinks too much gas...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on September 16, 2010, 04:20:08 PM

Cheaper inside, and still the same size as a G.

Sounded like he was fine with the size of the G, just didn't like having to deal with a manual in stop-and-go.

An Audi A3 is probably the closest to what Morris wants.  There's also the new Regal, which is 4-cylinder powered.  Infiniti is supposed to be releasing a 2.5L version of the G sedan soon.  And there's the IS250 which has been out for a while.  Not quite 2.0L 4-bangers, but about the smallest, non-turbocharged motors you'll find in this class.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on September 16, 2010, 04:52:47 PM
Sounded like he was fine with the size of the G, just didn't like having to deal with a manual in stop-and-go.

An Audi A3 is probably the closest to what Morris wants.  There's also the new Regal, which is 4-cylinder powered.  Infiniti is supposed to be releasing a 2.5L version of the G sedan soon.  And there's the IS250 which has been out for a while.  Not quite 2.0L 4-bangers, but about the smallest, non-turbocharged motors you'll find in this class.

If he wants to wait, the Lexus CT seems to tick every box.

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on September 16, 2010, 05:09:22 PM

If he wants to wait, the Lexus CT seems to tick every box.

So does the MKZ.  The only box the CT ticks that the Lincoln doesn't is the omfg ugly car car box.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on September 16, 2010, 08:30:19 PM
So does the MKZ.  The only box the CT ticks that the Lincoln doesn't is the omfg ugly car car box.

The CT is markedly smaller.

SVT_Power

Thanks to some of my friends, now anywhere I see/hear the word CT, the first thing that comes to mind is camel toe...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

If the small Lexus is called Camel Toe, does that make the ES350 the Moose Knuckle?