E92 M3
15 (62.5%)
E63 M6
6 (25%)
German cars are all crap. Accord DX V6 pls
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

sportyaccordy

Just got to thinking, what would you go with?

M6 does the quarter in 12.8 @117. M3 does it in 12.7 @ 112 (???). Interior volumes & specs are pretty much equal, but the M6 has a bigger foot print. M3 is about 300lbs lighter and gets much better gas mileage, but has a more pedestrian (RESPECTIVELY!) engine note and is much less rare.

Given that their prices are within range of each other (on the used market) what would you choose?

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

I'm leaning towards M6. A large rear-wheel drive grand tourer is right up my alley, and it's just that little more special.

SVT666

I wish people would use model years to designate which car they're talking about because I don't know the chassis codes.  I will take an M3 over an M6 anyday...and the chassis code won't change my mind.  The 6 Series front end is horrible.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on August 02, 2010, 10:23:05 AM
I wish people would use model years to designate which car they're talking about because I don't know the chassis codes.  I will take an M3 over an M6 anyday...and the chassis code won't change my mind.  The 6 Series front end is horrible.
Sorry... newest M3 vs newest M6.

I would go with the M3. M6 is nice but I think its rear seat is actually smaller than the M3, and while that exhaust note is intoxicating, the M3 just seems to offer more in every category. Looks better, more telepathic handling, more practical, cheaper to operate, easier to park etc. Maybe a better comparo would have been the new M3 sedan vs the last M5 sedan

hotrodalex

M3.

An M6 would be cool, but I'd have to do some bodywork to make it look better.

Raza

Going to have to go M3 here.  The M6's modifications are garish, and I'll pass on SMG.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Aha! Someone else has voted M6.

BimmerM3

I voted M3, though really I'd go with an E90, not E92 (that the sedan, not the coupe, Craig).

r0tor

I'm not sure of anything the 6 has over the 3... Except exclusivity, in which case is because it doesn't do anything better them the 3
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

omicron

Quote from: r0tor on August 02, 2010, 10:57:02 AM
I'm not sure of anything the 6 has over the 3... Except exclusivity, in which case is because it doesn't do anything better them the 3

Ten cylinders.

:wub:

However, now I've just seen this:

Vinsanity

Quote from: omicron on August 02, 2010, 10:51:24 AM
Aha! Someone else has voted M6.

that would be me :cheers:

although the 6 doesn't have many objective advantages over the 3, the idea that I'm getting a more higher-end car for the same price used (according to sporty's premise) is enough to win over the bargain-hunter in me. (and a great excuse to go with what has always been my preference, anyways: a big GT cruiser)

JWC

Every time I see one of these threads I think it is about Leica cameras.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: JWC on August 02, 2010, 11:30:35 AM
Every time I see one of these threads I think it is about Leica cameras.

LOL!

Unbelievably, there are some Leicas that handily outprice many used BMWs... (and depending on the model can be a better value)

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 02, 2010, 11:08:20 AM
that would be me :cheers:

although the 6 doesn't have many objective advantages over the 3, the idea that I'm getting a more higher-end car for the same price used (according to sporty's premise) is enough to win over the bargain-hunter in me. (and a great excuse to go with what has always been my preference, anyways: a big GT cruiser)
I made this thread because I saw an OG M6 last night, and I got to thinking about how different in character it was from the first M3, and how there seems to be a much smaller difference between the current M3 and M6. I don't know if the M3 has grown too soft (I don't think so though) or the M6 has become more edgy (almost to a fault) but it seems like they are uncomfortably close in character. Back in the days I would have went with the long range shark nose- the E30 was great but too... "uninsulated"... for anything but weekend joyrides... but now it's close enough that they seem almost like the same car...

Submariner

I really love the six series. 

Honestly, a 6-speed 650i is fine for me. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on August 02, 2010, 10:23:05 AM
I wish people would use model years to designate which car they're talking about because I don't know the chassis codes. 
I'm always having to look this stuff up. When I was young and had the time and gave a shit I'd learn all the codes to stuff. Now I just don't have the room in my head or give a crap anymore.

2o6

I'm not a BMW-phile, so chassis codes confuse me.

I voted M6. It's large and odd looking.

Onslaught

Oh, German cars are all crap.  :lol:

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

CJ

Lebowski

M3 no question. I've never been a big fan of the 6 series.

850CSi

I can never get past how ugly the 6-series is. M3 by a mile. I'd rather put a supercharger on my car than drive an M6.

(E92 > E90 for me)