Marijuana

Started by Colonel Cadillac, August 03, 2010, 08:47:30 AM

Colonel Cadillac

So policemen, what do you think about it?

dazzleman

We know what your mother thinks about it..... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Should be legal.  So should coke, heroin, and all prescription drug restrictions should be lifted as well.  Of course, DUI should be modified to account for driving while under the influence of these drugs.  I should be allowed to do whatever I want to myself as long as it endangers no one else or violates their rights.  Simple as that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

Pointless argument. Wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot cattle prod.

CALL_911

Quote from: bing_oh on August 03, 2010, 09:31:44 AM
Pointless argument. Wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot cattle prod.

What, the legalization of marijuana is a pointless argument?

You're going to have to explain that one to me.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on August 03, 2010, 09:28:18 AM
Should be legal.  So should coke, heroin, and all prescription drug restrictions should be lifted as well.  Of course, DUI should be modified to account for driving while under the influence of these drugs.  I should be allowed to do whatever I want to myself as long as it endangers no one else or violates their rights.  Simple as that. 

Not so sure about Heroin, PCP, etc but weed, yes, coke, yes, I'll even say acid should be legal. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

bing_oh

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 03, 2010, 09:36:11 AMWhat, the legalization of marijuana is a pointless argument?

You're going to have to explain that one to me.

Have you ever gotten into a marijuana legalization argument on the internet? The pros remain pro, the cons remain con, and the thread eventually degrades until locked. It's alot like arguing about abortion. As the WOPR said in WarGames..."The only winning move is not to play."

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on August 03, 2010, 09:42:14 AM
Not so sure about Heroin, PCP, etc but weed, yes, coke, yes, I'll even say acid should be legal. 

Why not?  If you do it in a way that harms no one else, I see no reason in it at all.  Laws shouldn't be in place to protect you from yourself. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on August 03, 2010, 09:59:23 AMWhy not?  If you do it in a way that harms no one else, I see no reason in it at all.  Laws shouldn't be in place to protect you from yourself.

Obviously you've never delt with someone under the influence of heroin, LSD, PCP, crack, etc...

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on August 03, 2010, 10:05:50 AM
Obviously you've never delt with someone under the influence of heroin, LSD, PCP, crack, etc...

Clearly.

But at that point, are they breaking other laws?  If so, why do the drugs even come into play?  Why should I, a normally somewhat peaceable man, not be allowed to shoot heroin in my own home to relax on a Friday night?  If I break other laws, then I see the case for arresting me, but at that point, what grievous crime have I committed?  What's the difference between a shooter of heroin and a half bottle of Scotch if I'm not bothering anyone?

Mind you, I understand the practical implications of the legality and illegality of what are currently illicit drugs, and what potential issues may come with the changing of the status, but on a philosophical level I highly object to their status as illegal drugs. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Quote from: bing_oh on August 03, 2010, 10:05:50 AM
Can you rank the unpleasantness based on the drug?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: bing_oh on August 03, 2010, 09:53:01 AM
Have you ever gotten into a marijuana legalization argument on the internet? The pros remain pro, the cons remain con, and the thread eventually degrades until locked. It's alot like arguing about abortion. As the WOPR said in WarGames..."The only winning move is not to play."

You can say that for anything. I don't really get that argument.

Quote from: dazzleman on August 03, 2010, 08:49:40 AM
We know what your mother thinks about it..... :lol:

:lol:

dazzleman

:hesaid:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CALL_911

Oh, I was under the impression that you were saying that it's not even worth considering legalizing marijuana.

Yeah, you're right. That's the case for pretty much all political/religious debates too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 03, 2010, 11:01:43 AM
Oh, I was under the impression that you were saying that it's not even worth considering legalizing marijuana.

Yeah, you're right. That's the case for pretty much all political/religious debates too.

Some subjects are worse than others.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22670.msg1372112#msg1372112 date=1280849298
Should be legal.  So should coke, heroin, and all prescription drug restrictions should be lifted as well.  Of course, DUI should be modified to account for driving while under the influence of these drugs.  I should be allowed to do whatever I want to myself as long as it endangers no one else or violates their rights.  Simple as that.  

I think that the major factor in determining which drugs should be legal is the societal impact that they have and is society willing to cover those costs.  We deal with the problems of drinking and driving when people choose not to be responsible because society has decided it is willing to cover those costs.  Although Raza talks about responsible use behind closed doors that is often not the case.  Meth users ignore their children and commit crimes to support their habit.  Legalizing meth won't solve the crime problem because meth users can't hold down a job so the only way they get what they want is through criminal conduct.  Society has decided that the costs of meth use are too high.

Unfortunately, people that are responsible when they are sober tend to make really bad decision when they aren't.

dazzleman

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 03, 2010, 11:22:52 AM
I think that the major factor in determining which drugs should be legal is the societal impact that they have and is society willing to cover those costs.  We deal with the problems of drinking and driving when people choose not to be responsible because society has decided it is willing to cover those costs.  Although Raza talks about responsible use behind closed doors that is often not the case.  Meth users ignore their children and commit crimes to support their habit.  Legalizing meth won't solve the crime problem because meth users can't hold down a job so the only way they get what they want is through criminal conduct.  Society has decided that the costs of meth use are too high.

Unfortunately, people that are responsible when they are sober tend to make really bad decision when they aren't.

Yes, that's the reality of it.  Raza's theory is a fine one, but it just doesn't play out that way in reality.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on August 03, 2010, 11:24:50 AMYes, that's the reality of it.  Raza's theory is a fine one, but it just doesn't play out that way in reality.

Exactly so. Theoretical "freedoms" tend to crash headfirst into the brick wall of reality when we're talking about the real world. It's very nice for Raza to believe that people should theoretically have the freedom to use PCP in the sanctity of their own homes, but it's a very different scenario when that same person is hallucinating, stripped naked, standing in the middle of the street, wielding a butcher knife, and oblivious to pain because of the effects of that same PCP.

bing_oh

Quote from: Laconian on August 03, 2010, 10:16:03 AMCan you rank the unpleasantness based on the drug?

When you get into harder drugs, it's not really a matter of ranking them by unpleasantless but rather by your favorite nasty effects.

Raza

Yeah, no one has ever done something stupid while drunk, so I can see your argument. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on August 03, 2010, 12:04:41 PMYeah, no one has ever done something stupid while drunk, so I can see your argument.

Are you really comparing the normal effects of alcohol to the normal effects of PCP? Seriously? That's not even a logical argument.

BENZ BOY15

Marijuana is one thing, PCP is another.

SVT_Power

I don't know if I'd go as far as Raza, but I'm on that side of this argument.

Drinking in public is illegal (other than in licensed establishments). Being under the influence and doing stupid shit in public is illegal. Driving under the influence is illegal. Yet it's perfectly legal for for you to consume it at home and be incapacitated if you want. So you should be allowed to do drugs at your own risk as well.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

RomanChariot

Quote from: Raza  on August 03, 2010, 12:04:41 PM
Yeah, no one has ever done something stupid while drunk, so I can see your argument. 

I don't think pointing out the fact that drinking makes people stupid is a good argument for legalizing drugs.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on August 03, 2010, 12:19:42 PM
Are you really comparing the normal effects of alcohol to the normal effects of PCP? Seriously? That's not even a logical argument.

It's odd the metrics we use.  Alcohol is bad, but not that bad, so it's okay.  PCP is bad, so ignoring your rights to do whatever you'd like to yourself, we'll make it not okay. 

One thing that must be addressed in these type of arguments is what will actually change with legalization.  If you make it legal, are millions of Americans with steady jobs going to skip work tomorrow, start using PCP, and then start knifing each other nude in the streets?  What will actually change?  And if the answer is nothing, and it begs the question "Then why make the change at all?", the answer to that would be "because the rights of the individual should not be suppressed."  I'm not looking for a full on PCP section in my 7-11; perhaps just a decriminalization, so users are able to get the rehabilitation they need instead of getting thrown into the system. 

Even if we stick to the topic at hand, and stick with the current metrics.  Bad, but not that bad.  Wouldn't marijuana fall into that category?  When was the last time someone went psychotic after smoking marijuana? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 03, 2010, 01:24:14 PM
I don't think pointing out the fact that drinking makes people stupid is a good argument for legalizing drugs.

One drug that can ruin your life is legal.
One drug that can ruin your life is illegal.

I think it's absolutely germane. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on August 03, 2010, 12:36:40 PM
Marijuana is one thing, PCP is another.

No, it is not.  Not if you don't accept that it's okay for the government to tell you what you can do to your own body. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 03, 2010, 11:22:52 AM

How is it the same people who would complain about money spent on public programs happily restrict personal freedoms for the greater good?  Don't you see how incongruous these positions are? 

And don't you see that neglecting your children (child abuse) and robbery/theft/burglary are all already legal?  Why is the reason a person commits a crime important?  If you break into a house and steal a DVD player so you can watch DVDs, does that make it better than breaking into a house and stealing a DVD player to fund a meth habit? 

Legalizing meth won't solve the crime problem.  Legalizing meth won't cause a crime problem either.  I don't see why this is an issue. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

To inject another perspective into the argument:

By legalizing drugs that can ruin your life, some might say that the government is allowing the behaviors associated with it. Since meth can cause crime, the government must be saying crime is okay if meth is okay.

Plus, it can be hard work to produce illegal drugs which can keep people away from it. If it's legal, the number of users is bound to go up. If a small number of users cause problems, imagine if 3-4 times as many users cause the same number of problems-per-user. Seems like a police officer's worst nightmare.

I'm not saying all of that is true, it's just a way to look at it.