Best looking Japanese car

Started by 2o6, August 05, 2010, 09:12:01 PM

Mustangfan2003

No they may not make a lot of money with sporty cars but IMO they help introduce younger buyers to the brand.  However, that new sports car they were working with Subaru on, forgot the name of it, looks pretty good.

Onslaught

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 06, 2010, 06:46:48 PM
Was that parts and labor or just parts?  If I can rebuild a 4.2 L Jaguar engine I think I can do the timing belt on a Miata (I hope anyway).
I've never had to pay for stuff like that so I don't know how much it cost. I had a friend at the Mazda dealer who did all that stuff for free and I got all the parts for free too. Now that place is gone and I'll have to actually buy stuff!!! WTF is that all about?

Anyway, I think changing the timing belt on a Miata is easy. I actually picked up a book that shows you how to take every part of an MX-5 apart. Some people got a hold of a new car when they first came out and disassembled it taking pictures of it all. I've never used the book yet but I think that one day it will come in handy.

This is the 1.8 book http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1901295389

cawimmer430

Quote from: rohan on August 06, 2010, 10:55:59 AM
Not really.  Just a square boxy suv in fact it's pretty ugly if you want the truth.

I don't really care what other people think. Design is subjective. We had a '96 Pajero and we loved it. The design is gorgeous IMO.

This is a Philippine-spec Pajero, just like ours. Ours looked 100% liked this (same color, wheels, even tires) except for the roof racks, which we didn't have.  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on August 06, 2010, 02:19:04 PM

WHY WAS THIS NOT SOLD HERE!?

Why?

-No V6 or V8 engine options
-No 0-60 in under 6 seconds
-No 14 second (or lower) 1/4 mile times
-It doesn't get bad fuel economy

And the most damning of all, it's too small. They're a common sight in Germany. I rode in one of them before and it was tight inside. I'm 6'4" and I was suffering - and I wasn't even sitting in the back!

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

the Teuton

I think the Xedos 6 was exceptionally pretty.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

OMG, Wimmer posts Toyota's!  :mask:

The mid 1970s Celica's were gorgeous. Don't like the 1980s versions at all though.

Always had a thing for '79 Cressida. Maybe because it looks like a Plymouth Volare.  :wub:

Also cool, the Mitsubishi Celeste.  :mrcool:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on August 07, 2010, 07:07:43 AM
I think the Xedos 6 was exceptionally pretty.

It's like a 626, but much, much better.

I always wondered why Mazda didn't launch Eunos/Efini in the US. I think it would have been more successful than Infiniti and Acura.

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 07, 2010, 06:59:57 AM
Why?

-No V6 or V8 engine options

And the most damning of all, it's too small. They're a common sight in Germany. I rode in one of them before and it was tight inside. I'm 6'4" and I was suffering - and I wasn't even sitting in the back!

We got the Protege, which was mechanically similar, (IIRC, the Lantis was bigger)

Also, you can get the 1.8L and 2.0L V6 in the Lantis.

93JC

Quote from: thecarnut on August 06, 2010, 09:25:04 PM
They decided to go from making sporty, legendary cars to becoming a profit machine and the world's largest automaker.

:nutty:

Toyota has always been about becoming a profit machine and the world's largest carmaker. Toyota was never, ever an "enthusiast's" brand. I can count all the "legendary (in who's mind, Toyota's?) sporty" cars they've ever made with one hand: Sports 800, 2000GT, Celica, Supra, MR-2.

Toyota's purpose has always been to produce cars like the Corolla, Tercel, Starlet, Camry, etc. Boring A-to-B transportation appliances.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 07, 2010, 07:09:12 AM
OMG, Wimmer posts Toyota's!  :mask:

Always had a thing for '79 Cressida. Maybe because it looks like a Plymouth Volare.  :wub:

Holy crap you're right Wimmer. 

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: 93JC on August 07, 2010, 01:28:40 PM
:nutty:

Toyota has always been about becoming a profit machine and the world's largest carmaker. Toyota was never, ever an "enthusiast's" brand. I can count all the "legendary (in who's mind, Toyota's?) sporty" cars they've ever made with one hand: Sports 800, 2000GT, Celica, Supra, MR-2.

Toyota's purpose has always been to produce cars like the Corolla, Tercel, Starlet, Camry, etc. Boring A-to-B transportation appliances.

Honda is getting the same way now.  Had the NSX for many years, which was a great car, and never made any real changs to it.  Sales drop more and more each year and the car dies.  It's the samething with the S2000. 

93JC

Honda is even sadder, because they actually got their start making sports cars (S500, S600, S800). That company was about making quick, cool vehicles, and then they branched out into Kei cars and stuff like the Accord and Civic. But even that stuff was comparatively fun to drive.

Now they're just throwing out stuff like the Ridgeline, CR-Z and Crosstour and hoping people buy it. Cynical exercises in product development.

Northlands

Honda's lost it's soul. They remind me more of GM as the years pass, in the way they come out with new models. They're trying to be too many thing to too many people. That's going to water you down, no matter what.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 05, 2010, 09:20:18 PM
I'll start with one, since there are so god damn many.

How is this even a thread?  Done.  Tie it off, lock it up, and a 1 day ban to everyone who said otherwise.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Northlands on August 09, 2010, 02:04:18 PM
Honda's lost it's soul. They remind me more of GM as the years pass, in the way they come out with new models. They're trying to be too many thing to too many people. That's going to water you down, no matter what.

Sochiro is no longer heading it up and no one has the same maverick personality to make the company what it was.

Most really cool cars/car companies are the product of one or two guys with a vision and passion.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on August 07, 2010, 12:38:33 PM
Also, you can get the 1.8L and 2.0L V6 in the Lantis.

What? Who buys these things? My Honda lawnmower is faster to 60 mph and costs $ 35,000 less!  :mask:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

68_427

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 10, 2010, 03:29:45 PM
What? Who buys these things? My Honda lawnmower is faster to 60 mph and costs $ 35,000 less!  :mask:

They sound so sweet.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on August 08, 2010, 11:11:58 PM
Holy crap you're right Wimmer.  

Maybe Toyota copied the Plymouth Volare? After all, it was during the 1970s when many Toyota's looked very American.

Still, I have a soft spot for that generation Toyota Cressida because my neighbor in the Philippines had one. Always felt it looked good.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 10, 2010, 03:35:44 PM
Still, I have a soft spot for that generation Toyota Cressida because my neighbor in the Philippines had one. Always felt it looked good.

Was the Cressida like one of the most aspire-to-own cars back there, or something? I remember my dad wanting one back in the day, but when it got replaced by the Avalon, he was like, "meh."

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 10, 2010, 04:19:52 PM
Was the Cressida like one of the most aspire-to-own cars back there, or something? I remember my dad wanting one back in the day, but when it got replaced by the Avalon, he was like, "meh."

The Cressida and Crown were the top Toyota's back then in the Philippine market. The Crown was basically a luxury car in that market whereas the Cressida was a sort of in-between car between the mainstream Corolla and the luxury Crown. It was certainly a car to aspire to in those days if you wanted a certain comfort.

My family had a '79 Mitsubishi Galant and early 1980s Ford Telstar (the same as the one I posted in the Australian car thread) during those days though.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

JDM Mazda Savanna (RX-7) with those distinctive hood mirrors also looked good.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

Never a fan of that mirrors on the fenders thing on the RX

ChrisV

Quote from: Onslaught on August 12, 2010, 05:16:39 PM
Never a fan of that mirrors on the fenders thing on the RX

They were a Japanese market requirement for many years. Both rearview mirrors had to be visible throught the wiper-swpt area of the windsheild. Thank goodness that changed.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Speed_Racer

Onslaught

Vinsanity

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it would be a cool idea for Nissan to do a RWD Miata-sized Fairlady roadster inspired by that '67 style model posted above. Dare I say a retro design might actually look cool?

omicron

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 14, 2010, 11:08:48 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it would be a cool idea for Nissan to do a RWD Miata-sized Fairlady roadster inspired by that '67 style model posted above. Dare I say a retro design might actually look cool?

I like this idea very much.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 14, 2010, 11:08:48 AM

Retro sucks.