Thinking of selling the Durango and getting something else

Started by rohan, August 08, 2010, 10:04:15 AM

rohan

We're gonna take another look at the Toyota which is the one the wife seems to prefer I think and I think she's getting closer to buying something. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

68_427

A closer look at the Sequoia?  ew.  That thing is ugly inside and out.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

rohan

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2010, 12:55:37 PM
A closer look at the Sequoia?  ew.  That thing is ugly inside and out.
Quote from: 68_427 on August 10, 2010, 02:38:28 PM
Well... he should try to get over it.
I see your advice only applies to other people.   :nono:  :lol:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on August 11, 2010, 11:13:23 AM
It's a POS the best looking truck since the G class.  I drove two of them before we bought the Explorer.  One was a V6 and the other was a V8.  Not a good truck at all Both were equally awesome  I'm a fool for not buying them, and I consider seppuku nightly.

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22720.msg1379758#msg1379758 date=1281978493
If the Commander had the Porsche shield on the front it wouldn't matter if there was catastrophic engine failure every 500 miles, I would buy forgive it and I would make love to it every night.

:lol:

SVT32V

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 11, 2010, 11:12:06 AM
What about the Jeep Commander? Do they even still make those? 3 rows, larger than a Durango, etc. etc.

A commander with the hemi or 300+ hp 4.7 is a good alternative, especially with the QDII drive system, which is better by far than anything else in the class.  

The commander is smaller than a sequoia, but on par with the exploder/4runner/pahtfinder midsizers and each has better dimensions at different places but all are about the same.

One gives up a bit of room for the stadium seating, but lets face it the 3rd row for midsizers are for kids and for short distances (soccer practice, B-day parties).  Most kids seem to love the stadium seating.

Since the exploder, 4 runner and all but the pathfinder only offer weak engines, it is worth checking out commander.  I absolutely love mine and after driving the 4runner (didn't like the seating position), the explorer seemed to try to be car-like while not offering the capability advantages of a BOF and the engines were weak-sauce, the pathfinder was too ugly but a nice engine.

The Commander uni-frame also seemed more tight than the BOFs.

hounddog

I went and drove a couple Tundras the other day.  (Yes: monkey see, monkey do)

Then for fun I drove a Sequoia.

Boy, is that thing big and powerful.  0-60 in something like 6.6 seconds. 

At 6080 pounds.  :confused: 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: rohan on August 09, 2010, 01:38:30 PM
My neighbor's kid is a couple years older and he says they take turns driving them around.  I'm thinking it's gonna be the same but no that's not the only reason the Durango is a bit small for a family when you drive it long distances having the extra width and space would be nice.  Plus like yesterday I went and got a new landscaping tree and it wasn't very tall but reached all teh way to the windshield and was all bent over.  More room to haul things would be very handy since I do alot of the work around the house myself - which is kind of why I was thinking pick up truck.  Plus- we just want a little bit bigger truck.

LOLS
Pay someone to bend the fenders out so it doesn't look so "efficient", put a 3" lift on it, and you'd have more space inside than you could ever imagine.
Odyssey or Sienna. Both in AWD.

I understand exactly what you're saying about "can't do a minivan" but that is so utterly irrational it hurts. She wants everything a minivan is but the image

(Go sit in a pimped out one with the 2nd row recliners and maybe influence her. :lol:)
Will

hounddog

He needs 4x4 because of where he lives, very rural area where they do not plow on weekends as is the case for most of Michigan, not because of image.  If he or his wife get called into work for an emergency they need the abilities of a 4x4 in bad weather. 

As for it being irrational: his money.

:huh:

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 06, 2011, 01:26:59 PM
LOLS
Pay someone to bend the fenders out so it doesn't look so "efficient", put a 3" lift on it, and you'd have more space inside than you could ever imagine.
Odyssey or Sienna. Both in AWD.

I understand exactly what you're saying about "can't do a minivan" but that is so utterly irrational it hurts. She wants everything a minivan is but the image

(Go sit in a pimped out one with the 2nd row recliners and maybe influence her. :lol:)

Only the Sienna offers AWD.

The Pirate

Haven't sifted through all 4 pages yet, but the big advantage of the SUV is that you have dry storage for the various kid related items that need to be in the vehicle, and a 3rd row for hauling additional kids (friends, carpool, whatever).

Truck bed is certainly handy, but with your criteria, I'd be looking at SUVs (and a trailer) for family duty.  I'll second Hemi's suggestion of the Tahoe, and Sequioa (per your original contenders) would be second.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

cawimmer430

Come on, dude. Be a man. Be a real f_____g man.

Get a Ford F-650:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CJ

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 06, 2011, 06:09:37 PM
Come on, dude. Be a man. Be a real f_____g man.

Get a Ford F-650:lol:

Shut the fuck up.  Seriously. 

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2011, 02:17:44 PM
He needs 4x4 because of where he lives, very rural area where they do not plow on weekends as is the case for most of Michigan, not because of image.  If he or his wife get called into work for an emergency they need the abilities of a 4x4 in bad weather. 

As for it being irrational: his money.

:huh:

Irrational= not even looking at an option before dismissing it.  Crazy women. ;)

AWD would get someone through the majority of winters almost anywheres.   Yours truly grew up in Wyoming, not far at all from Park City, UT. Lotz of snowz.
(AWD Sienna with a slight lift would be rockin'.  :lol: )
Will

Atomic

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2010, 10:19:55 AM
Those are all well rated vehicles. the Sequoia is best in class overall but IMO its sin is terrible styling, especially interior.

If it were me I'd go minivan all the way; AWD Toyota Sienna.

the sequoia is a beast! of mpg and price are not factors, i'd go for this favorite of mine. i like "understated" luxury.

Atomic

btw, the 2011 durango is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! the srt-8 is due out in the fall, along with 6.4 liter srt-8 versions of the jeep gc, chrysler 300, dodge charger and a rumored chrysler t&c srt-8... something i doubt, but chrysler has really delivered this past year. there is speculation of srt-6 editions, with modified for speed pentastar v6 chrysler's, jeep's, dodge's and maybe even ram's (i.e., dakota). who knows  :huh:?!

Raza

Tundras are by far the most obnoxious cars on the road. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

Quote from: rohan on August 11, 2010, 12:50:50 PM
We're gonna take another look at the Toyota which is the one the wife seems to prefer I think and I think she's getting closer to buying something. 
I'm not a fan of the current Toyota National Forest mostly because I despise the dash styling and layout on it (and the newer Tundra), but if that's what she likes, it seemed like a nice truck otherwise. I've been brought back into the Chevy Suburban fold though- I loved that Tahoe and with the number of passengers and luggage I was hauling a couple days that week the extra cargo space of the Suburban would have been perfect, the Tahoe has very little usable room with the 3rd row seat up. Handled and accelerated better than expected, and got better mileage than I'd have guessed too. No way for me to rationalize one, but if I were in the land yacht market, I'd be hard pressed to pick something else. So my suggestion is Suburban- it won't accelerate like the Sequoia most likely, but it's a bit roomier in the back and gets better mileage and I have a suspicion you'll be able to get a similarly equipped one for about the same price if not a little less- Sequoias get expensive fast.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Atomic

"Sequoias get expensive fast."

...even the base price is steep (i believe), but a really great product.

thewizard16

Quote from: Atomic on May 08, 2011, 01:52:14 PM
"Sequoias get expensive fast."

...even the base price is steep (i believe), but a really great product.
Well, they're all expensive to be honest, but the Sequoia is just a little more expensive than most. I'm sure it's a fine truck, I just don't think I'd want to pay more for it than I would for a similarly equipped Suburban unless I really needed that 5.7L engine.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

68_427

Quote from: thewizard16 on May 07, 2011, 11:23:34 PM
I'm not a fan of the current Toyota National Forest mostly because I despise the dash styling and layout on it (and the newer Tundra), but if that's what she likes, it seemed like a nice truck otherwise. I've been brought back into the Chevy Suburban fold though- I loved that Tahoe and with the number of passengers and luggage I was hauling a couple days that week the extra cargo space of the Suburban would have been perfect, the Tahoe has very little usable room with the 3rd row seat up. Handled and accelerated better than expected, and got better mileage than I'd have guessed too. No way for me to rationalize one, but if I were in the land yacht market, I'd be hard pressed to pick something else. So my suggestion is Suburban- it won't accelerate like the Sequoia most likely, but it's a bit roomier in the back and gets better mileage and I have a suspicion you'll be able to get a similarly equipped one for about the same price if not a little less- Sequoias get expensive fast.

You can get a Yukon is available with the 6.2L I think, which has over 400hp.

'racecar is die'
no

thewizard16

Quote from: 68_427 on May 08, 2011, 03:39:44 PM
You can get a Yukon is available with the 6.2L I think, which has over 400hp.

Yeah, you can get the Yukon XL Denali with the 403hp 6.2L if you need an excessive amount of power, but I don't love the Yukon's styling and the Suburban is a little cheaper comparably equipped.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

68_427

Oh only the Denali?  I thought it became an option across the board after the Silverado got it.
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

The Tahoe did have the 6.2L, rated at 395 hp, available in top trim. Looking at Chevy's website looks like that is no longer the case.

WookieOnRitalin

Um, this thread is like...old? Whatever happened to the replacement? Did it not happen?

If not, I vote Durango.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2011, 07:22:30 PM
The Tahoe did have the 6.2L, rated at 395 hp, available in top trim. Looking at Chevy's website looks like that is no longer the case.

That's why I second guessed myself.
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on May 07, 2011, 07:52:02 PM
Tundras are by far the most obnoxious cars on the road. 

Well, you're half right.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

hounddog

Quote from: 68_427 on May 08, 2011, 05:28:03 PM
Oh only the Denali?  I thought it became an option across the board after the Silverado got it.
Most reviewers wrote about how underpowered that engine felt. 
Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on May 09, 2011, 08:46:35 AM
Um,  this thread is like...old? Whatever happened to the replacement? Did it not happen?

If not, I vote Durango.
They were waiting on incentives for the Sequoia, I believe.

I, on the other hand, am nearing a purchase of a Tundra. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke