Lottery Car

Started by SVT666, August 08, 2010, 05:54:10 PM

93JC

What's so interesting about blowing a couple hundred grand on a car? What difference does it make which one you pick? The novelty of owning an Aston Martin Volante would wear off very quickly. In my case it's just worn out before it started.

hotrodalex

Yeah, those damn rich-people cars are boring. You're right. I'll stick to a 1984 Monte Carlo and call it a day.

Rich

Yeah, they made me change my mind

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

93JC

They are boring. What difference would it have made if I said Ferrari 458 or Lamborghini Murcielago or Porsche 911 or Aston Martin DB9 or Spyker C8 or any other extremely expensive car?

hotrodalex

The difference is we wouldn't have called you boring. :lol:

Supercars are all at a level. Imagine it being a line. When you cross that line, it doesn't matter what car you pick, they're all a good choice and what you pick is simply a personal preference. But what you seem to be saying is that since they are all a good choice, that you don't want any. You don't want to cross that line. You seem to think that since all of them are the same, that they are the same as the cars on the other side of the line as well.

ifcar

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 08, 2010, 08:44:36 PM
Yeah, they made me change my mind

Hey, the c-pillar almost looks like someone was designing it!

On topic, I'd say that for the purposes of this thread a Nissan Versa is a boring car but an interesting choice, a looks-hot goes-fast exotic is an interesting car but a less-than-interesting choice (not to knock that -- there's a reason they're desired), but the Model T is both an interesting choice and a very interesting car to own.

2o6

I don't want a new car.

hotrodalex

I have a feeling your opinion would change when you won $50M.

2o6

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 93JC on August 08, 2010, 08:47:53 PM
They are boring. What difference would it have made if I said Ferrari 458 or Lamborghini Murcielago or Porsche 911 or Aston Martin DB9 or Spyker C8 or any other extremely expensive car?
To a degree, each supercar is a kind of expression of the ultimate manifestations of an enthusiast's tastes. Want the world's best soundtrack and the ability to cause a scene anywhere? Ferrari. Want that but live in an icy climate? Lambo. Want an exotic kit car that doubles as a tennis ball shooter? Spyker. IDK. To write off the value of the ability to choose any car you want just seems like Debbie Downing.

Though I guess I can see where you're coming from. Every now and then my gf will ask me 'if you had unlimited money what style of architecture would you make your first home purchase', to which I never have a reply. However, unlike me in that situation, you had the choice of not replying to this thread. Plus beyond that I wonder what car enthusiast doesn't have some dream car. Do you like cars?

93JC

I have become jaded. I just don't care anymore.

ifcar

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 08, 2010, 09:11:53 PM
Plus beyond that I wonder what car enthusiast doesn't have some dream car. Do you like cars?

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for? If you buy your dream car, then you've got no dream car left.

68_427

ZR1

and then a GT3 RS w/ Sharkwerks 3.9L
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

I'm with ifcar - something just a wee bit more than plebeian, at least at first. I'd like to take an 2010 Outback and make it proper - keep it stock looking but build up the flat-6 a bit and install a M/T.

Problem is, at least in my state, lottery winners are public record, and all state and county records (deeds, marriage licenses, lawsuit filings, LLC registrations, etc.) are not only public record but accessible online to anyone and everyone.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ifcar on August 08, 2010, 09:19:55 PM
A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for? If you buy your dream car, then you've got no dream car left.

I have about 100 cars I want to own. :huh:

Besides, there will always be something new. Or if all else fails, you can go into racing.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2010, 09:27:34 PM
I'm with ifcar - something just a wee bit more than plebeian, at least at first. I'd like to take an 2010 Outback and make it proper - keep it stock looking but build up the flat-6 a bit and install a M/T.

Problem is, at least in my state, lottery winners are public record, and all state and county records (deeds, marriage licenses, lawsuit filings, LLC registrations, etc.) are not only public record but accessible online to anyone and everyone.

I think what the D.C. guy did was had the lawyer register the LLC for him and bring in the ticket for him. So the LLC would show up as the lottery recipient, and the lawyer's would be the only name publicly connected to it.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on August 08, 2010, 09:10:27 PM
No.
You're stupid. You were complaining about how you want a Focus by next year. :facepalm:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

I don't want a new car.

Jaguar XJ220, please.

850CSi

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 08, 2010, 06:13:01 PM
DB9

This. In a dark shade of BRG.

(I figure that a late 2000s DB9 will be worth around $60k-$70k around the year 2015. If I'm doing well then, I will own one)

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on August 08, 2010, 08:30:56 PM
I'd say both are more creative than a generic exotic car. ANY sudden-riches millionaire can go buy something expensive. Who's the one being boring?

:devil:

:lol:

I was thinking about what the garage would look like if I hit it big in the Powerball.  I realized I'd probably buy something I thought I'd never buy in my entire life--a pickup.  Most likely a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab.  But I'd definitely have a GTI.  I would never buy a Versa.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 08, 2010, 09:10:27 PM
No.

Yeah, with 50 million in my bank account, I'd still drive a $500 Neon.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on August 08, 2010, 08:47:53 PM

Yeah, I could see getting bored of the "novelty" of having a great looking car that's fun to drive and being the envy of men and object of desire of women wherever you go.

You call a supercar a novelty and then in the same breath say that you want a Model T.  If that isn't novelty, then I don't know what it is.  Well, hypocrisy...

EDIT:  Three hours of sleep....

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

This.

I would hardly be able to speak if I owned that car; I can assure you. That $12,900 could secure my wildest motoring dreams is both a little worrying and comforting at the same time.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on August 09, 2010, 08:02:34 AM
This.

I would hardly be able to speak if I owned that car; I can assure you. That $12,900 could secure my wildest motoring dreams is both a little worrying and comforting at the same time.
Must be a current model year car.

omicron

Quote from: SVT666 on August 09, 2010, 08:47:47 AM
Must be a current model year car.

Oh, cock.

Do you know; I'd have a very hard time saying no to a Range Rover Sport Supercharged (and, obviously, saving the remaining millions to use for fuel).

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22722.msg1375402#msg1375402 date=1281355718
Yeah, with 50 million in my bank account, I'd still drive a $500 Neon.

You guys misunderstood what I said. I don't want anything that's on sale today.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on August 09, 2010, 10:34:21 AM

Really?  There is nothing on the market today that you want?  No Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Geely, Brilliance, or Tata on the market today that you would want?  I find that incredibly hard to believe.

68_427

I think he wants a 2010 '95 Neon.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 09, 2010, 10:34:21 AM

Anything.  You don't like a single car that's on sale today?  You know with that kind of money, you could import a Geely Slitty-Eyed Panda Happy Fun Time Edition if you really wanted. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on August 09, 2010, 06:11:42 AM
Yeah, I could see getting bored of the "novelty" of having a great looking car that's fun to drive and being the envy of men and object of desire of women wherever you go.

If I have $50,000,000 I'm already the envy of men and desire of women wherever I go.