Lottery Car

Started by SVT666, August 08, 2010, 05:54:10 PM

SVT666

What is your lottery car?  This is the very first car you will go out and buy.  The very first one...and that means just one.  None of this, "It's either A or B".  Pick just one...and it has to be current model year.

Payman

Audi R8 V10, triple black.

SVT666

My lottery car used to be the Viper, and then the Audi R8 5.2 came out and that became my lottery car.......but today that all changed when I saw a Mercedes-Benz SLS in the metal.  As you all know I've never been fond of the sheetmetal from the doors back, but after seeing it in the metal today, I have changed my mind.  My gawd is it hot...and the sound that bellowed from the exhaust pipes was magical.

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

TBR

Probably just a GTI 6MT.

ifcar

If I won the lottery, I'd want it to be a secret. So I'd want something comfortable and safe, but not something that draws any sort of attention either from strangers or from people who know me.

Maybe after a while I'd move up the automotive ladder, but what's the big hurry? This is a good route to take:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/04/AR2009050402008.html

CJ

XC90 V8 AWD Executive.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on August 08, 2010, 06:00:27 PM
If I won the lottery, I'd want it to be a secret. So I'd want something comfortable and safe, but not something that draws any sort of attention either from strangers or from people who know me.

Maybe after a while I'd move up the automotive ladder, but what's the big hurry? This is a good route to take:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/04/AR2009050402008.html
What's the hurry?  You could die before enjoying a Ferrari.  Fuck secrecy...get your kicks before you die.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2010, 06:08:28 PM
What's the hurry?  You could die before enjoying a Ferrari.  Fuck secrecy...get your kicks before you die.

In the article I linked, the lawyer for the LLC the winner created got 80 calls on the first day from people asking for money as charity or investments. For me, winning the lottery would represent having enough money to live comfortably without having to work, not living extravagantly at the cost of dealing with unpleasant attention.

Xer0

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2010, 05:58:50 PM
My lottery car used to be the Viper, and then the Audi R8 5.2 came out and that became my lottery car.......but today that all changed when I saw a Mercedes-Benz SLS in the metal.  As you all know I've never been fond of the sheetmetal from the doors back, but after seeing it in the metal today, I have changed my mind.  My gawd is it hot...and the sound that bellowed from the exhaust pipes was magical.

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

+2389057234905

Cookie Monster

I would probably take an Evo X with the wing delete. Considering I feel stupid exiting out of anything expensive and flashy, I would take something without a high end badge.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on August 08, 2010, 06:13:07 PM
In the article I linked, the lawyer for the LLC the winner created got 80 calls on the first day from people asking for money as charity or investments. For me, winning the lottery would represent having enough money to live comfortably without having to work, not living extravagantly at the cost of dealing with unpleasant attention.
Yeah, but that's because lottery winner information is public knowledge and scammers and charities get that information as soon as it's announced.  It has nothing to do with how flashy your car is.  As soon as I found out I won the lottery, my phone numbers and email addresses get changed or cancelled...immediately.  Then I leave on holidays to absorb to enormity of it all.  After a few weeks I come back.  At that point they have moved on to the latest lottery winner.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2010, 06:45:17 PM
Yeah, but that's because lottery winner information is public knowledge and scammers and charities get that information as soon as it's announced.  It has nothing to do with how flashy your car is.  As soon as I found out I won the lottery, my phone numbers and email addresses get changed or cancelled...immediately.  Then I leave on holidays to absorb to enormity of it all.  After a few weeks I come back.  At that point they have moved on to the latest lottery winner.

That guy is still unknown; he made an LLC that collected the prize money on his behalf. I wouldn't tell anyone, ever, except maybe one or two family members. That's where a restrained lifestyle comes in. A comfortable life with none of the pressures of working or worrying about money, yet none of the stresses that come from wealth -- that's what a lottery win would mean for me.

There's a reason a lot of people who suddenly come into money are quickly back where they started.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on August 08, 2010, 06:51:13 PM
That guy is still unknown; he made an LLC that collected the prize money on his behalf. I wouldn't tell anyone, ever, except maybe one or two family members. That's where a restrained lifestyle comes in. A comfortable life with none of the pressures of working or worrying about money, yet none of the stresses that come from wealth -- that's what a lottery win would mean for me.

There's a reason a lot of people who suddenly come into money are quickly back where they started.
I do believe you are the most boring person I have ever known.

We're talking $50 Million dollars.  A $200,000 SLS isn't going to break the bank.  If I ever have the chance to have that much money, I will live the way I've always wanted to, yet with an eye towards making that money last me for the rest of my life.  I've already figured out that I need $6 Million in the bank to give me $75,000 a year (tax free in Canada) and increasing with the rate of inflation every year until I'm 92...and that does not include interest or returns from investments.  $50 Million will mean being able to pay myself $650,000 a year and there will be money left over to give my kids when I die.

sportyaccordy

I would bike down to 51st and Park, and get a black 458 Italia w/gold BBS LMs & a Tubi exhaust. Next stop would be one of those SoHo bike shops to build something fancy, and then B&H to get that 5D Mark II to film some highway runs for Youtube. I'd pick up the bike later in a different car.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2010, 07:06:29 PM
I do believe you are the most boring person I have ever known.

We're talking $50 Million dollars.  A $200,000 SLS isn't going to break the bank.  If I ever have the chance to have that much money, I will live the way I've always wanted to, yet with an eye towards making that money last me for the rest of my life.  I've already figured out that I need $6 Million in the bank to give me $75,000 a year (tax free in Canada) and increasing with the rate of inflation every year until I'm 92...and that does not include interest or returns from investments.  $50 Million will mean being able to pay myself $650,000 a year and there will be money left over to give my kids when I die.

I'm not trying to call you financially imprudent. There are just a few luxuries I'd value more than physical goodies:

-never having to wonder whether it's me or my wallet that's making friends
-never having to deal with people or organizations who expect lavish generosity just because I'd be able to afford it
-never having to think twice if there is something extremely expensive down the line I do decide I want -- be it for myself or for a cause

Those are the downsides I see to being rich, and if I can avoid them while still giving myself a very comfortable life, I'd definitely go that route, even if it means I drive a hatchback with cloth seats. (Hey, at least it has a good old manual -- six speeds, too! -- unlike your big shiny whatsis.)

And if I changed my mind, I'd still have an overflowing bank account to draw on. If I bought the look-I-won-the-lottery! car first, there'd be no turning back.

And yes, I have put a lot of thought into this.

Raza

I'm undecided on color.  But you can be damn sure I'm getting the 6 speed stick.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on August 08, 2010, 07:36:27 PM
I'm not trying to call you financially imprudent. There are just a few luxuries I'd value more than physical goodies:

-never having to wonder whether it's me or my wallet that's making friends
-never having to deal with people or organizations who expect lavish generosity just because I'd be able to afford it
-never having to think twice if there is something extremely expensive down the line I do decide I want -- be it for myself or for a cause

Those are the downsides I see to being rich, and if I can avoid them while still giving myself a very comfortable life, I'd definitely go that route, even if it means I drive a hatchback with cloth seats. (Hey, at least it has a good old manual -- six speeds, too! -- unlike your big shiny whatsis.)

And if I changed my mind, I'd still have an overflowing bank account to draw on. If I bought the look-I-won-the-lottery! car first, there'd be no turning back.

And yes, I have put a lot of thought into this.
I see where you're coming from.  My solutions to those problems are:

- I don't like many people...very few in fact.  Therefore, if I like them and want to be their friend, then they can't be all bad.  I'm a pretty good judge of character and I despise ass kissers and fakes.
- I'm not in public office, therefore I can tell them to fuck off with no repercussions.  My contact info would all be unlisted anyway, so....
- I would still plan ahead.  I don't think I could even spend $650,000 a year anyway.  After that initial year of buying my cars and building my house, I don't see how I could actually spend that much money.

:ohyeah:

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22722.msg1375237#msg1375237 date=1281318629

I'm undecided on color.  But you can be damn sure I'm getting the 6 speed stick.
An Aston Martin???  Nothing from Porsche?

Rich

Yeah, I'm surprised too.  I thought he hated Astons
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Onslaught

Well it depends on the size of the lottery. But I have to say that the first car that comes into my head is the cleanest FD RX-7 that I could find. I know that's not really what most people would look for but I've wanted one for over 17 years now. After that I'd get a new car more in the line of what you guys are talking about and I'm not sure what that be. Perhaps a DB-9.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2010, 07:52:48 PM
An Aston Martin???  Nothing from Porsche?

You said first car.  My first car would undoubtedly be a convertible.  So that means 911 Turbo Cab vs. Aston Martin V8 Roadster (Maserati is out because they don't sell it in stick anymore).  I'd get a 911 next, most likely, but by the rules of the thread, this is the one.

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 08, 2010, 07:54:30 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised too.  I thought he hated Astons

Nah, I don't hate Astons, I just don't find them faultless like many of you do.  You can only ooh and ahh over relatively similar designs tweaked to where they look a little better (the V8 looking better than the DB9 which looks pretty good) or a lot worse (DBS or Rapide, the Rapide being terrible and the DBS being overdone).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Probably a 911 Cabrio... To give to my dad.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2010, 07:51:55 PM
I see where you're coming from.  My solutions to those problems are:

- I don't like many people...very few in fact.  Therefore, if I like them and want to be their friend, then they can't be all bad.  I'm a pretty good judge of character and I despise ass kissers and fakes.

I'd like to think I am too, but there would always be that lingering doubt. I have a friend who says that as much as she trusts various guys, she doesn't know if they'd have become friends if she weren't attractive -- I think it would be something like that.

- I'm not in public office, therefore I can tell them to fuck off with no repercussions.  My contact info would all be unlisted anyway, so....

A couple of examples came to mind as I was trying to express that:
-Gifts for family members. Am I cheaping out by getting one thing instead of another, or, on the other end, am I substituting money for thoughtfulness? No one knowing how much I could theoretically spend keeps it simple.
-Contributions to something worthy -- especially if it's something I'm involved in, like the local synagogue or the a friend's kid's surgery. "Fuck off" just doesn't work in those situations, and people knowing that I could theoretically contribute a lot but won't (to maintain precedent) just keeps things awkward.

But in any event, until PowerBall hits whatever computer-generated numbers I've played, I don't have to worry about that. Hasn't happened yet! (Or has it?)

93JC

None. If I won $50,000,000 I wouldn't spend a dime on a fancy car, or at least not a new one and not right away.

I've given it a lot of thought. At first I thought Lamborghini Gallardo. Then Porsche Cayman. Now I just couldn't be bothered.

If I won the lottery I'd buy a new house, build a big garage with a big workshop, and then putter around working on something simple. Right now I think my lottery car would be a Ford Model T. It seems silly I know, but I want one. There's ten times the ingenuity in a Model T than some new superluxosportscar.

hotrodalex

Yes, being rich sucks.

I'll take a Murcielago LP 670-4 SV if we're talking big bucks.

Raza

Koko and Mark...you guys are so fucking boring it depresses me.  Nissan Versa?  You couldn't even get a cool compact like a GTI or Civic Si?  A house and a Model T?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CALL_911

A new 997 GT3 RS. Fuck being secretive.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Onslaught

You know I'd probably import the last Gen Cosmo too.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22722.msg1375259#msg1375259 date=1281320609
Koko and Mark...you guys are so fucking boring it depresses me.  Nissan Versa?  You couldn't even get a cool compact like a GTI or Civic Si?  A house and a Model T?

I'd say both are more creative than a generic exotic car. ANY sudden-riches millionaire can go buy something expensive. Who's the one being boring?

:devil: