PickupTrucks.com Heavy Duty Showdown

Started by 68_427, August 16, 2010, 01:49:23 PM

68_427

There's too much to copy/paste so all you guys get is a link.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-truck-specs-and-testing-approach.html

*spoiler*  It'll be interesting to see the test re-done with the updated Super Duty.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Interesting.  The steeper the hills got, the higher the Ford Diesels scored, but on flat land, the Chevy diesel was better.  hmmmm.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on August 16, 2010, 01:57:54 PM
Interesting.  The steeper the hills got, the higher the Ford Diesels scored, but on flat land, the Chevy diesel was better.  hmmmm.

Could be gearing.

Also notice how much cheaper the Ram Models were.  Are the other two worth the price increase?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

On the 16% grade all trucks had traction issues and throughout much of the test some trucks seemed to have differing strategies for torque converter lockup.

Why GM spent the money to redesign the whole of the structure of the Silverado yet not touch the gas engine is a bit of mystery, especially considering GM already has a class-leading truck engine elsewhere in the stable:

6.2L:
403 hp @ 5,700 rpm
417 lb-ft @ 4,300 rpm

6.0L:
360 hp @ 5,400 rpm
380 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm

omicron

How on earth did that GMC make it down the quarter-mile in 16.6 seconds?

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Speed_Racer

Mustangfan2003

SVT666

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 17, 2010, 09:55:54 PM
People sure do drop a lot of coin on those HD trucks.
Those are the ones you usually see doing this:

GoCougs

Quote from: omicron on August 17, 2010, 10:39:51 AM
How on earth did that GMC make it down the quarter-mile in 16.6 seconds?

Something seems a bit goofy - unloaded the far heavier Silverado 1-ton was quicker than the 3/4-ton. I dunno - maybe traction.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on August 17, 2010, 11:10:45 PM
Those are the ones you usually see doing this:

This could be a seperate thread, but I've never seen the attraction in investing what's probably somewhere near $100K in a rig like that.  My preference would be a nice car, some luggage and decent motels-resorts.  When I vacation I want someone to make my bed and cook my food for me.  I don't want to drag around a bed to make myself and kitchen to spend time in cooking, unless we are camping.  With an RV or trailer add in the campground cost, the fuel cost differential, the driving and parking hassle and an RV or trailer like the one pictured just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Mustangfan2003

A lot of people in the horse business own some of these really expensive trucks too. 

RomanChariot

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 18, 2010, 07:17:58 AM
This could be a seperate thread, but I've never seen the attraction in investing what's probably somewhere near $100K in a rig like that.  My preference would be a nice car, some luggage and decent motels-resorts.  When I vacation I want someone to make my bed and cook my food for me.  I don't want to drag around a bed to make myself and kitchen to spend time in cooking, unless we are camping.  With an RV or trailer add in the campground cost, the fuel cost differential, the driving and parking hassle and an RV or trailer like the one pictured just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I only have about one-tenth of the money invested in my trailer setup as the one in that picture.  I have a trailer for several reasons.  One of the big ones being that I have 5 children, so staying at a hotel generally requires getting two rooms which is not all that practical with younger children.  Another reason is that some of the best places to visit here in Utah either do not have hotel accommodations or you can save yourself a lot running around by staying in a campground instead of in a hotel 25 miles away from where you want to be.

With that said, we just got back from a week at Yellowstone and we chose to rent a cabin rather than tow the trailer that far.

TBR

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 18, 2010, 07:17:58 AM

And if you want to have the outdoors easily accessible without actually being outdoors then just rent a cabin.

SVT666

Some people spend months travelling around North America in these rigs every year.  I totally understand wanting to have a rig like that if you spend more than just a couple weeks doing it.

Rupert

I spend months travelling around North America every year, and I do it quite happily with a two-person tent. ;)

Then again, I got a motel for tonight, so, uh, maybe not. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA