A thread for Vinsanity!

Started by cawimmer430, August 24, 2010, 10:07:56 AM

cawimmer430

...and his "towing fetish".  :devil:

Just want to point out that the things most Europeans tow can be done with normal cars with normal engines. We don't need 934854095480954004-hp and 3893494034054 lb/ft V8's for these jobs.

Even a BMW 1-Series can be had with a towing hook...

You don't need a V8 gas-guzzling SUV for this crap...

Hell, you don't even need a V8 for towing a midsize boat like this. This Passat was probably a TDI. You know, the ones that don't do 0-60 in 5 seconds or 12 second 1/4 miles...  :facepalm:

W211 Mercedes E-Class towing something...

I didn't spot any big SUVs towing things here but if you're in Italy near Lake Garda there are tons of Germans with their MB GL or 1st/2nd gen. ML's towing larger boats. The GL is usually a GL320 CDI (sometimes a GL420 CDI) and the 1st gen. ML's are 9/10 times ML270 CDI (5-cyl. 170-hp) and rarely ML400 CDI (V8, 240-hp). 2nd gen. ML's are usually ML280 CDI's or ML320 CDI (now 350 CDI's).
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

93JC

Coincidentally, the Mazda 3 has a maximum tow rating of 600 kg in the UK without trailer brakes, and up to 1800 kg with trailer brakes.

Mine, a Canadian model, has a tow rating of 0. Installing a hitch would void my warranty.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on August 24, 2010, 10:17:29 AM
Coincidentally, the Mazda 3 has a maximum tow rating of 600 kg in the UK without trailer brakes, and up to 1800 kg with trailer brakes.

Mine, a Canadian model, has a tow rating of 0. Installing a hitch would void my warranty.

And this might be the reason why North Americans view big and fuel-inefficient SUVs as their saviors when it comes to towing.

People in Europe generally tow small things as can be seen in these photos and don't need a big SUV for such tasks. The boat being towed by the Passat is just an example of what can be accomplished with a normal sedan and (most likely in this case) a torquey TDI engine.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

All these things in tow are on average, at least half the size of what I typically see on the road.  Motor homes are size of a.. well home... and boats are bigger than those cars in your picture

But on the same note, not all Americans need an SUV to tow

CJ

For the most part, Americans do need a truck for their towing needs.  A friend of mine's family owns a tree farm.  To take the tractor to get serviced, they put it on a trailer and tow it with their Silverado.  My friend's Santa Fe, her sister's Saturn L200, and her mom's Murano can't do that.

CJ

That's a pretty small boat. 

I doubt that Passat could tow that boat and its trailer. 

Vinsanity

wow, I'm late to my own thread :rolleyes:

it's too bad I can't see the pics at work, but from what I can tell, the cars are towing typical Euro-size caravans that tend to be quite smaller than the American travel trailer. But the issue here is what JC skimmed over: tow rating. As I've said in the other thread, most passenger cars that have a tow rating are rated at 1000lbs/450kg: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/towing-capacity-chart.htm

Here is an example of a typical travel trailer in America:

GVWR is 3500lbs/1600kg.

Neither Mercedes, BMW, nor Audi have given tow ratings to their passenger cars in N. America, and as JC said, warranty would be voided if the vehicles were used for towing. It's your funeral, but that's not a risk I'm willing to take on cars like those.

93JC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2010, 10:23:07 AM
And this might be the reason why North Americans view big and fuel-inefficient SUVs as their saviors when it comes to towing.

People in Europe generally tow small things as can be seen in these photos and don't need a big SUV for such tasks. The boat being towed by the Passat is just an example of what can be accomplished with a normal sedan and (most likely in this case) a torquey TDI engine.

The only Volkswagens recommended for towing in Canada are Touareg, Tiguan and Routan. All others have no tow rating, and would presumably have their warranty voided if you ever tried.

Laconian

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 24, 2010, 11:12:51 AM

it's too bad I can't see the pics at work, but from what I can tell, the cars are towing typical Euro-size caravans that tend to be quite smaller than the American travel trailer. But the issue here is what JC skimmed over: tow rating. As I've said in the other thread, most passenger cars that have a tow rating are rated at 1000lbs/450kg: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/towing-capacity-chart.htm

GVWR is 3500lbs/1600kg.

Neither Mercedes, BMW, nor Audi have given tow ratings to their passenger cars in N. America, and as JC said, warranty would be voided if the vehicles were used for towing. It's your funeral, but that's not a risk I'm willing to take on cars like those.
Wat! The typical travel trailer is "L" shaped and nests inside the bed of a pickup truck.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

rohan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2010, 10:07:56 AM

Sir- your car has an erection.  Will you please turn it around?  It's making me uncomfortable.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Vinsanity

Quote from: Laconian on August 24, 2010, 11:16:24 AM
Wat! The typical travel trailer is "L" shaped and nests inside the bed of a pickup truck.

You're right; 5th-wheel trailers are more common here, but the airstream-type is more comparable to what Europeans use, since they don't need a pickup bed to hitch onto.

rohan

Quote from: CJ on August 24, 2010, 11:06:16 AM

ME WANT THAT SHINY FLOOR!

I'ld just like to add that just because a car can pull a load it doesn't mean it should.....

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Vinsanity

Quote from: rohan on August 24, 2010, 11:23:18 AM
I'ld just like to add that just because a car can pull a load it doesn't mean it should.....

:hesaid:

'what I'm sayin, yo...

rohan

~Chief Seattle

Vinsanity

Quote from: rohan on August 24, 2010, 11:28:27 AM
I submit as evidence article no. 33a Item 1

It can but it shouldn't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyXgMal3C1U

lol, I wouldn't even go so far as to say that it can

SVT666

Let's see your 1 series pull this:

68_427

Those are all pathetic trailers.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: rohan on August 24, 2010, 11:23:18 AM

*an exception to that rule.  these babies can tow 7000lbs travel trailers.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on August 24, 2010, 11:57:12 AM

*an exception to that rule.  these babies can tow 7000lbs travel trailers.

I've never seen a cop car pull anything but a Uee.

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on August 24, 2010, 10:47:23 AM
All these things in tow are on average, at least half the size of what I typically see on the road.  Motor homes are size of a.. well home... and boats are bigger than those cars in your picture

But on the same note, not all Americans need an SUV to tow

That is seriously cool.  :mrcool:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on August 24, 2010, 11:04:29 AM
For the most part, Americans do need a truck for their towing needs.  A friend of mine's family owns a tree farm.  To take the tractor to get serviced, they put it on a trailer and tow it with their Silverado.  My friend's Santa Fe, her sister's Saturn L200, and her mom's Murano can't do that.

Sure, for some things you do need a car with more power and torque. And people here in Europe will either have it towed by a service specializing in this task or use their own cars if they're up to it.

For the "really heavy stuff" people tow here a normal diesel SUV van do it (ML280 CDI's etc.).

Then again we don't tow the big things some Americans tend to tow.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: CJ on August 24, 2010, 11:06:16 AM

That's a pretty small boat. 

I doubt that Passat could tow that boat and its trailer. 

You'd be surprised what a Passat TDI can tow. It wouldn't surprise me if it could tow a trailer with a medium-sized boat on it. It might not be good for the car since it wasn't designed to do this, but it's definitely possible. Now, a really big boat, might be possible to, but definitely will put a lot of stress on the frame etc.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 24, 2010, 11:12:51 AM

GVWR is 3500lbs/1600kg.

Yes, we tow smaller and lighter things. But even heavier things can be towed with a normal engine such as base TDI engine for example. Hell, today when I was driving back into Munich I saw the current W212 Mercedes E200 CDI (136-hp) towing a medium-sized mobile home on the Autobahn. Would have tried taking a shot if I had my camera near me.

The difference, like you said, is that you guys tow bigger and heavier things. But in the 520d thread you said we (as in Europeans) "need V8's to tow" shit. We don't.

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 24, 2010, 11:12:51 AMNeither Mercedes, BMW, nor Audi have given tow ratings to their passenger cars in N. America, and as JC said, warranty would be voided if the vehicles were used for towing. It's your funeral, but that's not a risk I'm willing to take on cars like those.

That's most likely because Americans don't use their luxury cars for towing - Europeans do.

Do SUVs from these makes get a tow rating?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on August 24, 2010, 11:13:42 AM
The only Volkswagens recommended for towing in Canada are Touareg, Tiguan and Routan. All others have no tow rating, and would presumably have their warranty voided if you ever tried.

Is it "normal" for Americans to use minivans to tow things?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

What I don't understand about American and towing is, why not diesel?  It seems like a lot more efficient than gas engines?  Why don't people go with that?  more TORQUE at least..

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2010, 01:23:23 PM
It might not be good for the car since it wasn't designed to do this, but it's definitely possible. Now, a really big boat, might be possible to, but definitely will put a lot of stress on the frame etc.

That is what rohan and I are saying, and what I've been trying to allude to in the other thread. If you have something like a boat or caravan that needs to be towed, why not use a vehicle more suited to the task?

Colin

Of course, every car in Holland has a towing hook on it, so they can tow their mobile sheds south for the summer?  .....  :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Quote from: Colin on August 24, 2010, 01:39:22 PM
Of course, every car in Holland has a towing hook on it, so they can tow their mobile sheds south for the summer?  .....  :ohyeah:

I noticed that.. that explains it.. those sheds are smaller than some of the real sheds they sell at home depot though.

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2010, 01:31:31 PM
The difference, like you said, is that you guys tow bigger and heavier things. But in the 520d thread you said we (as in Europeans) "need V8's to tow" shit. We don't.

I don't remember saying that. I do remember saying something to the effect that we prefer to use more capable vehicles to tow things.

QuoteDo SUVs from these makes get a tow rating?

They do. According to the link I posted, the tow ratings are as follows:

Mercedes ML: 7200 lbs (all models)
BMW X5: 6000 lbs
Audi Q7: 5500 lbs
VW Touareg: 7716 lbs