The Victor Muller game

Started by the Teuton, August 28, 2010, 08:17:34 PM

the Teuton

Pretend you're some hotshot mega-millionaire with a bunch of Russian financing to keep your dreams afloat. You have to pick an ailing brand to buy with the intention of bringing back to profitability. You can pick any company in any era as long as they were struggling in that particular era. The four exceptions are 1) Porsche, 2) BMW, 3) Lamborghini, and 4) Aston Martin. Why? Because those four are easy and hindsight is 20/20. When Porsche was struggling, there was no Panamera or Cayenne. It really didn't take too much effort to reinvigorate the Porsche brand that a few turbochargers and the threat of getting rid of the rear-engine car couldn't fix.

So which brand would you choose to coddle and how? If it's a brand from the past (i.e. Ferrari), would you have done it any differently than they did it then?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Payman

Payman

Or, going back 10 years or so, I would have bought Alfa Romeo. First up would have been a Duetto Spyder to compete with the Boxster and Z4. Then I'd have an Italian answer to the BMW 3 series, the 5, (all V6's), and a V8 7 series competitor. Finally, there'd be a mid-engined V8 sports car, priced in 911 turbo territory.

the Teuton

I really like your TVR-Viper idea.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Cookie Monster

Can I say that whoever running Honda/Acura is stupid and that they're now an ailing brand compared to where they were a decade ago?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Quote from: thecarnut on August 28, 2010, 08:56:45 PM
Can I say that whoever running Honda/Acura is stupid and that they're now an ailing brand compared to where they were a decade ago?

The company is doing just fine. Ugly and uninspired does not struggling make.

Payman

Quote from: thecarnut on August 28, 2010, 08:56:45 PM

Acura Legend, Acura NSX, Acura Integra... they started out so awesomely.

SVT666

Chrysler (Right Now)

Chrysler would become a legitimate Cadillac/Infiniti competitor with a new New Yorker, and a midsize RWD performance sedan to compete with the CTS.  There would be a supercharged 6.4L Hemi version to compete with the CTS-V.

Dodge would become the Mainstream/Sports car line.  Viper would become significantly less expensive, and volume would be increased.  A smaller, lighter, V6 powered RWD sports coupe/Vert would be introduced that would be a competitor to the Hyundai Coupe.  The Sebring nameplate would be banished to hell, and the car would be replaced with a competitive platform.  The 300C and a 300C Wagon would be redesigned with a more sleek look to them.  The Caiber would be sent to space on a Russian rocket and would be replaced a real Focus competitor.  The Grand Caravan would be completely redesigned from the ground up and would give the new Sienna a real run for it's money for less...well...money.  The Challenger would be based on the CTS-V competitor and would be sized about the same as the Mustang.

Ram would remain as is.

sportyaccordy

Mazda now

Couple of random thoughts

There are too many FWD Civic/Camry clones on the market. Too many brands fighting for the same market share.

BMW + Alfa + the like made a killing by coming into the US w/small RWD cars that were affordable and fun as hell to drive. With the economy *kinda* picking up, and with companies like BMW having gone crazy upmarket, there's a gap.

This is where Mazda comes in. They have proven that they can build awesome cars, and have the reputation of being a kind of niche brand.

What would my plan be? An all RWD Mazda lineup.

Mazda3- interestingly enough, the current 3 is pretty close to the dimensions of the current 3 series. I'd say for them to make the 3 RWD of course, w/the same engine lineup.

Mazda6- RWD again, shrink it to the size of the last generation. The main draw here would be more luxury and V6s; not necessarily a huge jump in size. A $25K G35.

Mazda9- RWD again, V6 + V8 options. It would go head to head with the Genesis, maybe at a discount. It would combine the price point + size of the Avalon, the engine options of the Genesis and the handling of a Mazda. REALLY poor man's 7 series.

Miata- keep as is, but maybe throw in a more powerful engine option. I still think a hardtop/hatchback version would be cool but w/e.

MX-6- coupe version of the Mazda6

MX-9- big "personal coupe" version of the Mazda9. Maybe return the 3 rotor 20B? Direct injection sequential turbo rotary? Company flagship/halo car

RX-7- turbocharged 2 seater pls. Keep it under 2700lbs. To hell w/Euro pedestrian crash regs, who cares?

Cookie Monster

^please go run Mazda now, I would love to see an RWD lineup.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on August 29, 2010, 11:05:51 AM
It could work. They could really really play off the "working man's driving car" marketing ploy. I would have less qualms about buying a new car if I could get a RWD V6 MT sedan brand new for ~25K. Only problem would be how to develop the platforms. I think what BMW has now with the 5 & 7 is good outside of the weight. If they can keep things light (which they've already committed to doing) they'd have a winning lineup.

nickdrinkwater

I think SEAT are struggling at the moment, so I guess I'd take them over.  I'd try to make the cars more interesting, and focus only on small cars as per their beginnings.  I'd kill off the larger models and bring out a new city car to fit below the Ibiza, in the vein of the Marbella.  It would have a turbo charged 3 pot and be cheap owing to the fact it would be raw and unrefined (in the context of new cars, anyway).  I'd sell off the tooling for the Toledo and Altea models to some Chinese company to raise some funds, and I'd spend the money on redesigning the Ibiza to make it more unique and fun.

Basically, I'd be shamelessly copying Fiat and hoping it worked out, as it did when SEAT first became a major player.

Of course, this would probably result in bankruptcy rather than success because we're doing this as enthusiasts, not industry experts.

3.0L V6

Chrysler Corporation in the early 1990s, say 1991 or 1992. Force an aging, increasingly conservative Lee Iacocca to retire before he appoints Bob Eaton as CEO. Move Bob Lutz into the CEO position.

Hold the introduction of the Ultradrive 4-speed transmission, pending a thorough review of the design. After improvements are made to the original design, introduce it on a very limited basis so that any design issues can be taken care of before large scale production begins - to avoid the Chrysler transmission stigma forming. Insist that every service tech and dealer has it drilled into their heads that "ONLY USE CHRYSLER ATF+3 IN THIS TRANSMISSION".

Don't implement the last-minute cost cuts to the Neon design. Insist on framed windows and a properly designed and installed head gasket for the engine.

For the Intrepid, insist upon a properly-sized air conditioning compressor considering the glass area and load. Listen to the engineers. Keep improving the car lines with all the profits. Don't lose sight of the cars even though truck profits look tantalizing right now.

Eagle and Plymouth have to go. Begin winding down operations. End partnership with Mitsubishi and focus on partnering with Hyundai.

Develop a V6 engine that can be used across the entire Chrysler car/van lineup, instead of developing several different six-cylinder engines over that time frame (Like Nissan's 3.5L as an example).  Use Jeep's inline six across the Dakota and Ram ranges, dumping the 3.9L boat anchor. Instead of wasting money developing the 4.7 SOHC V8, do a ground up development of a new pushrod V8, maybe with (somewhat) hemispherical cylinder heads. Maybe call it a "Hemi" for nostalgia purposes. That sounds familiar for some reason.

Keep most of the same lineup as was done over the 1990s, with less overlap (especially with the LH cars and JA cars - Intrepid/Concorde/New Yorker/300M and Cirrus/Stratus/Avenger/Breeze)

Oh, yeah...don't sell out to the Germans.

the Teuton

Here's mine:

I'd have merged Oldsmobile into the Saturn lineup, given all of them polymer panels, and essentially modeled the brand after Honda/Acura without underperforming, overpriced junk.

2o6

Saturn: Post 1999

- S-series, make an equally ugly, but incredibly reliable replacement that matches the character and charm of the old cars. Save money by sharing the mechanicals with the Opel Corsa.

- L-series, honestly, leave it alone.

- ION would never happen. Limit Saturn's model lineup to the VUE, S-series and L-series. Nothing else.

Buick: Now.

- Price Cut raise for Lacrosse to 30K base.

- Regal starts at 26K.

- Excelle starts at 22K, and is the 1.6T only.

Honda: Now

- Civic, CR-V, Element and Accord to continue on their path.

- Fit = IMPROVE MPG's. Maybe a 1.4L smaller engine and a weight loss.

- Insight = Phase out.

- CR-Z, Remove hybrid IMA system, grapht IRS from civic on to the rear, and give it the Fit's 1.6L.

- Crosstour = Phase out. With a passion.

- Introduce next gen Honda Stream, with a 5 or 6 speed manual option.

Scion: Now

- Make the Toyota Ractis the new xA.

Ractis

- Make the xB and the Daihatsu Materia/Toyota bB once again unanimous.

- Send the Toyota RWD car (or a variant of it) to Scion as the tC

- Phase out the xD.

Cadillac: Now

- Leave CTS alone. It's great. Use generic GM Ecotec 2.0L and 1.6T (and probably the 2.0TD) to gain appeal in Europe.

- Price XTS at 50K.

- Move Escalade to the basis of the GM LAMBDA platform, but (similar to SRX's Theta II roots) refine it to the point where it shares nothing with the plebeian counterparts.

- Produce Converj as a FWD/AWD Audi TT Fighter. No hybrid, but the ubiquitous LNF for power, or maybe the 1.6T in base models (from the Excelle) a Diesel model to appease Europe.

- Create Zeta based, larger-than-life RWD flagship.

- Mid engined supercar.

- ATS as planned.

- FWD BLS introduced, smaller than Compact ATS to compete with A3 and 1-series.

Acura: Now

- Phase out all models.

- Introduce RSX (Integra) as a FWD civic base (slightly larger than Civic, however) to not only replace the CSX, but the TSX as well. 1.6L VTEC Turbos. Sedan option.

- Introduce CSX as a Fit Based sporty hatchback at the bottom of the lineup.

- TSX - SH-AWD standard. (FWD based)

- TL - RWD.

- RL - RWD.

- MDX and RDX to continue on on the same path as before.

- ZDX - I like the idea, but the execution is horrible. Redesign.

Infiniti: Now

- G, continues on as planned.

- EX - Shifts to FWD Nissan/Renault C-platform.

- FX - same as before.

- Introduce Infiniti I, A FWD hatchback to compete with the A3 and 1-series and C30. (2.0T)

- Introduce Infiniti J, a 4-door coupe (I took sporty's idea)

- Introduce Infinini Q as the flagship 7-series competitor.

Vinsanity

I'd try my hand at Mercury, circa 2005. That would have been a good time to turn the brand around from shameless Ford rebadges to an outlet for premium import-market Fords. Lineup would be:

Comet: Euro Focus CC
Comet XR4: Euro Focus RS
Mondeo: Euro Mondeo
Mondeo XR6: Euro Mondeo ST220
Marquis: Oz Falcon
Marquis XR8: Oz Falcon XR8
Villager: Euro C-Max

maybe eventually develop a Falcon-based Cougar depending on success/feasibility

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on August 29, 2010, 11:05:51 AM

Yeah, it would be awesome for the six weeks before they go out of business. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

A RWD Mazda 3 is too much to ask, but I'm loving the idea of RWD Mazda 6 and 9.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on August 31, 2010, 01:02:33 PM
Yeah, it would be awesome for the six weeks before they go out of business. 
???

People buy Subarus; the space of a transmission + driveshaft runnign through the cabin is a non issue.

The dynamics + steering feel would be immediately noticeably better than any competitor.

And of course there would be the enthusiasts. A Mazdaspeed MX-6 or even an MX-6 3.7 w/RWD would be serious business. Look at the success of the Genesis Coupe. I think it would work.

Even a RWD 3 would be fine. They could make it cheap through platform sharing. People pay $35K for a 3-series w/less standard equipment than a $20K Mazda 3 now. I think people would be OK w/a $22K RWD compact sedan.

2o6

Subaru's market is already limited, and the grip of AWD is a much easier sell than the perceived lack of grip RWD.

IIRC, the Genesis Coupe's sales numbers aren't exactly setting the world on fire.