C&D The Best-Handling Car in America for Less Than $100,000

Started by r0tor, September 01, 2010, 06:11:53 AM

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 02, 2010, 04:43:03 PM
That's terrible, man.  Your paint hates you.  A lot.
Yes, it would love it if I left dirt on it all the time to rub into the clear. Strange that my 20 year old Miata looks almost new. Paint must hate me on that thing.

93JC

I think he was talking about Mr. I-wash-my-car-four-times-a-year, not you.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on September 02, 2010, 04:48:51 PM
Yes, it would love it if I left dirt on it all the time to rub into the clear. Strange that my 20 year old Miata looks almost new. Paint must hate me on that thing.

...I quoted SVT, brah.

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 02, 2010, 04:57:19 PM
...I quoted SVT, brah.
You have my apologies. Somehow I missed that. My eyes must be tired from checking oil every two hours.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on September 02, 2010, 05:03:09 PM
You have my apologies. Somehow I missed that. My eyes must be tired from checking oil every two hours.

No worries.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on September 02, 2010, 04:16:48 PM
Probably from somebody who runs their car at high RPM constantly.  Honda Preludes were known for oil consumption as well and it was largely a function of how long one spent on the VTEC's aggressive cam (since oil is used to engage the VTEC changeover).  People who spent a lot of time running on the cam drank a lot more oil than those who only hit the VTEC changeover once in a while.
Back in my Honda days the sudden increase of black smoke in the exhaust was how we'd know someone had engaged VTEC.

VQ35s also have an oil burning problem from what I've heard. Not a quart every 300 miles though.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Onslaught on September 02, 2010, 04:46:36 PM
Oh, one more thing about the oil checking. The RX-8's dip stick has little holes in it. And you use that to know how much oil it needs put into it. It comes with a chart in the owners book that lets you know how much oil you need to poor in depending on what hole it's on or near.

I haven't gone through too many owner's manuals, but I've never even heard of a car manual telling you how much oil to add according to a designed dipstick. At least Mazda tells you I guess...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on September 01, 2010, 07:33:40 PM
Whichever you end up doing, I'm sure North Carolina finds it both legal and acceptable.

A Sister would be alright, but the good ole' boys hang 'em faggots down in the south.   :ohyeah:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

Quote from: Submariner on September 02, 2010, 05:31:26 PM
A Sister would be alright, but the good ole' boys hang 'em faggots down in the south.   :ohyeah:
NOT FUNNY.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 02, 2010, 05:22:50 PM
Back in my Honda days the sudden increase of black smoke in the exhaust was how we'd know someone had engaged VTEC.

VQ35s also have an oil burning problem from what I've heard. Not a quart every 300 miles though.
If you have a car that needs a quart every 300 miles then you've got a problem.

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 02, 2010, 05:23:32 PM
I haven't gone through too many owner's manuals, but I've never even heard of a car manual telling you how much oil to add according to a designed dipstick. At least Mazda tells you I guess...
It helps take the guessing out of it. But then again it has a light that would come of if it was getting too low. I'm an anal motherfucker when it comes to my cars. So I like my oil to be full all the time. That's why I look every 2 weeks. Like Rotor said, you don't have to look near that much if you don't care that it's not on full. You've got a long way to go before it's going to be a problem.

Rich

Quote from: Onslaught on September 02, 2010, 04:46:36 PM
It comes with a chart in the owners book that lets you know how much oil you need to poor in depending on what hole it's on or near.

LOL
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on September 02, 2010, 04:27:44 PM
They never built an LS2 powered Firebird (LS2 came out in 2005, Firebird was discontinued in 2002).  That said, early LS engines did have problems with oil consumption.  Numerous Vette owners complained about consumption rates of up to 1 qt per 1000 miles (which GM claimed was within the "normal and expected" consumption range).  IIRC, piston slap was also a problem (I'm guessing related).

Ls1... Doh
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Damn this thread is making me look at used RX8's again.

I loved the Rx8 when I drove it way back then.

There is a red 2005 with 34K on the clock, with them asking 12.5K, another blue 2005 with 70K asking for 9.7K,  both really tempting since they've been on the market for a while and I feel like I got bargaining leverage.

But I don't think I could part with the Z06 for an RX8, but this could be one car that replaces the impractical little fleet I've got now.  Even if I didn't sell the Z06 I might make it work money wise by replacing the old Supra and the SUV with one car, paying 1 insurance....

Plus DDing the Supra is generally unsafe considering it's got no airbags of any kind or ABS... so really I'm investing in my own future safety....
Plus I'm going into so much debt anyway now.... what's another 8k or so???

Damn this is like dangerous thinking....

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no