My comparison: midsize sedans

Started by ifcar, September 08, 2010, 09:35:19 PM

Byteme

I would have thought the Mazda would place higher than 6th. 

ifcar

Fifth place: Chevrolet Malibu

QuoteFor some people looking for a midsize sedan, the Chevrolet Malibu will hit all the right notes. With its feeling of substance and control, its comfortable and quiet ride, and its flashy styling, it comes off as the clear luxury among the eight cars in this comparison. It also throws in excellent safety ratings and impressive gas mileage.

Where the Malibu falls behind, however, is its everyday usability...

Continued at link:
http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-national/comparison-review-eight-family-sedans-fifth-place

WookieOnRitalin

How the hell is the Optima in the top 4?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Vinsanity

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 15, 2010, 09:09:56 AM

I kinda saw that coming; they're probably dirt cheap in anticipation of the sexy new 2011's

Vinsanity

One thing I have to say: every time I read a review about the Malibu, it sounds more and more like it could've been written about my own car, to the point that it's become strangely endearing :mask:

but while my mpg is laughable, at least I have a really tight turning radius, even among other RWD cars, apparently.

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on September 13, 2010, 09:22:10 AM
As for AWD, yes it's true that no one NEEDS it, but at the same time it's very nice to have, especially for those who want a bit of extra security in terrible weather.

Yes, it's nice to have.  But is it worth the trade-off of higher gas consumption and/or shit acceleration, higher purchase price, and higher maintenance down the road?  Sure, that's up to the individual to decide, but for me, more often than not, it's an emphatic no. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 15, 2010, 09:09:56 AM

+1.

If price puts it up front, I'm going to scream.

MX793

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 15, 2010, 12:53:46 PM
One thing I have to say: every time I read a review about the Malibu, it sounds more and more like it could've been written about my own car, to the point that it's become strangely endearing :mask:

but while my mpg is laughable, at least I have a really tight turning radius, even among other RWD cars, apparently.

I was really surprised by how tight the Mustang's turning radius was the other day when I was maneuvering through a parking lot and actually put it at full lock.  Looking of the specs, the turning radius is only 33.4 ft (about 3/4 of a foot tighter than my Mazda!).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Fourth place: Kia Optima

Quote?Surprisingly delightful,? Car and Driver magazine called the Kia Optima in 2007, as it ranked the car in the top half of a six-car comparison test.

And then everyone forgot about it. Couple anonymous looks with an unrespected name, and it's easy to see why. Kia went for a much more striking design on the next-generation Optima ? due on sale this fall ? for that very reason.

But even in the waning months of its lifespan, the Optima retains the ?power to surprise? of Kia's slogan...

Continued at link:
http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-national/comparison-review-eight-family-sedans-fourth-place

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on September 12, 2010, 11:30:36 AM
We've coped fine with 2WD cars all this time.

depends on the car. i would never drive a maxima without snows. with them, they (maxi's) are awesome, but i couldn't even drive up a slight incline with even an inch of snow with standard treads on those 18" tires. next up for me, a 2011 audi a4 or volvo s60 with awd, yet i keep toying with getting either a 2011 vw tiguan sel or volvo xc60 - so undecided. will likely settle for best deal between them once i decide between an awd/4wd sedan and awd/4wd suv/crossover. the nissan murano and mazda cx-9 are nice, but more family oriented and larger than i need as a singly guy.

Atomic

the latest rendition of the chevrolet malibu is a very impressive car. i cannot understand why gm if focusing on replacing it (yet realizing it will be switching to a global platform) while not immediately addressing the aging factor of the plain-jane, ugly chevy impala. the "full-sized" car is in desperate need of a major updating or a total replacement to keep it competitive, imo. aside from the cadillac cts in any flavor, i think the malibu sedan is perhaps the best looking gm in recent memory. i do not think it is necessarily better than the honda accord, but i see their demographics being different. right or wrong statistically, i do not know, but accord buyers are almost "cultish" about their vehicles, like with other honda products. honda buyers are extremely loyal. my family's living proof. still, the current chevy malbu congers up images of my childhood when chevy people rarely strayed and saw their neighbor's fords as being second rate to any and all gm's. ford owners often had contrary believes and many truck owners in gm, fmc and dodge (err, ram) camps still do. cars, i think, less so  :huh:.

if the ford fusion takes home the honors here, i will have to disagree. i do see it as perhaps being the best bargain, but far from the best car of the lot. the ford taurus sells far fewer cars than i realized until seeing the figures from august '10, but aside from its shockingly high price, it may be the best american car, not the best deal. i see the larger car competing more with the lavish accord (in comparison) to the less roomy, spartan fusion. again, this is my viewpoint and without having a tape measure in hand or dimensions in front of remember it from sitting in all of these cars at auto shows, as rentals or on showroom floors. new accords, i have had the pleasure of driving when visiting family - always amazed at their greatness from behind the wheel of each EX-L v6 with navi (the preference of relatives). maybe this is why there are so many cars competing in the mid-size category.

again, great thread, iffy, even if our opinions differ. again  :praise:!

Atomic

Quote from: EtypeJohn on September 13, 2010, 01:31:00 PM
I would have thought the Mazda would place higher than 6th. 

how many judges on the panel? with all comparison tests, there are personal basis. it would be interesting seeing what rating system is used and the breakdown, point-by-point.

omicron

I, um, actually quite like those Optimas. Lovely, wide vision from the driver's seat without feeling like you're driving a bus, which is just what I'd want in a car of this ilk.

Atomic

Quote from: omicron on September 19, 2010, 08:50:05 AM
I, um, actually quite like those Optimas. Lovely, wide vision from the driver's seat without feeling like you're driving a bus, which is just what I'd want in a car of this ilk.

i have yet to drive one. the only thing i noticed about these sweet looking cars is that the outer door handles always seem ill-fitting to the touch. nothing major! it just makes me question longterm durability before even getting in. i have sat in many at auto shows and while visiting friends working out dealerships. however, the vehicles look pretty tight (fit wise), otherwise. i see so many on the road, just like i do camry's. it's almost a shame they are so popular and not as exclusive as the vw cc is.

Atomic

one thing that i cannot live without: navi with back-up camera, after having a car with this. the last thing i knew, the chevy malibu lacked even basic navigation. is it offered for '11, i wonder?

MX793

Quote from: Atomic on September 19, 2010, 09:25:36 AM
one thing that i cannot live without: navi with back-up camera, after having a car with this. the last thing i knew, the chevy malibu lacked even basic navigation. is it offered for '11, i wonder?

IIRC, the Malibu comes with Onstar which offers turn-by-turn directions (similar to Ford's SYNC if you get a model without a real navigation system), but no traditional navigation system with a map displayed on a screen.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on September 19, 2010, 08:50:05 AM

They're better than I thought they'd be, but it's nothing more than what it promises to be: A cheap, functional, no-frills alternative to the midsize sedan.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Atomic

Quote from: the Teuton on September 19, 2010, 11:39:34 AM
They're better than I thought they'd be, but it's nothing more than what it promises to be: A cheap, functional, no-frills alternative to the midsize sedan.

if it did not look so great, i would not think twice about it. it is hot to look at. no doubt. again, "too plentiful", imo. still think the honda accord is the perfect car. yes. there are many on the roads, too. that is why i am a nissan maxima sv guy. the honda does everything right. i even find the v6 to be sporty. even lavishly equipped. still like something with sexier curves to fit my personality as a driving enthusiast, but the latest accord ex-l with navi is far more passionate than the quintessential buick-like, "pillowy" riding toyota camry xel. even the racier looking "se" model reminds me of what older buick owners LOVED about their automobiles. there is nothing wrong with a vehicle that has such a smooth ride - obviously! many prefer this, as sales figures prove. it is just not my kind of car.  the optima seems to fit the niche vacated by the pontiac grand am. ever gal around, especially young and middle aged hairdressers owned one. no lie!

68_427

Hey ifcar any reason why the Passat isn't in the comparison?  If it was where would it place disregarding price?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Quote from: 68_427 on September 19, 2010, 02:01:05 PM
Hey ifcar any reason why the Passat isn't in the comparison?  If it was where would it place disregarding price?

losing the awd/4wd option, among other items, the price is far more reasonable than before... i guess the typical family looking for a midsize sedan is not as concerned with all the bells&whistles if it means paying a heavy price for such a car. i think the cc outsells the passat nowadays, but they can get expensive when one moves up beyond the nicely equipped "base" version.

68_427

Quote from: Atomic on September 19, 2010, 02:28:46 PM
losing the awd/4wd option, among other items, the price is far more reasonable than before... i guess the typical family looking for a midsize sedan is not as concerned with all the bells&whistles if it means paying a heavy price for such a car. i think the cc outsells the passat nowadays, but they can get expensive when one moves up beyond the nicely equipped "base" version.

The cars he's comparing seem to be base versions anyways.  I'm just wondering because I really want my mom to get a Passat.
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

Quote from: SVT666 on September 11, 2010, 10:38:29 AM
I just saw the hotest paramedic I've ever seen.  Damn was she sexy.  Sorry to hijac but I don't care.

Win. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Atomic

Quote from: 68_427 on September 19, 2010, 02:37:07 PM
The cars he's comparing seem to be base versions anyways.  I'm just wondering because I really want my mom to get a Passat.

exactly. good point!

Atomic

Quote from: Atomic on September 19, 2010, 04:22:13 PM
exactly. good point!

and... i did not realize it was "just" iffy! wow, a lot of work for a single person. does he use a point system - rating such things as interior comfort, trunk space, price, etc.? i love studying how motor trend, car&driver, road&track and others rate vehicles. some of the scoring in these magazines boil down to personal preferences (i.e. styling, fun-to-drive factor).

68_427

It's pretty much Iffy's opinion of which is the best blend of everything people look for in a mainstream mid size car.
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

I must admit that I think the updated front fascia of the Optima looks pretty handsome. Seems like it would serve as a fine affordable little commuter car for someone who piles on the miles.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on September 19, 2010, 11:39:34 AM

Vehemently disagree.

ifcar

Quote from: 68_427 on September 19, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Below where an Acura TSX or Nissan Maxima would place regardless of price. Different class of car.

68_427

Yet prices are comparable.  I'm sure there are families out there that would be interested in knowing if spending the extra ~2K is worth it.  Otherwise I'm just interested in knowing what you think of it.
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

What's the point of complaining about power when you drive the gutless base models... All the cars tested are slow ass turds in base trim
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed