The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Onslaught

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/alfa-romeo-mx-5-future-2014-03-20

Sounds like some of you could possible not be getting that unreliable version of the ND Miata after all.

Rich

I think they may use the platform, just build it in Italy. We'll see.

Anyway, Big Things are coming for Miata fans at the Chicago Auto Show.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

I didn't think we'd get it anyways.  I don't really care, as I would likely buy the Mazda version over it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

unless the alfa model was completely stunning(like mini 8c coupe), I'd rather have a mazda badge on my miata.

Payman

Humph. Even as a Miata owner, Alfa Romeo still resonates with me, and I would love to own one with Mazda-esque reliability. I guess the young guys just don't understand.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 22, 2014, 08:51:27 PM
unless the alfa model was completely stunning(like mini 8c coupe), I'd rather have a mazda badge on my miata.

Or, a real hardtop could swing a lot of buyers; especially if it ends up looking like a baby 8C.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on March 22, 2014, 09:17:10 PM
Humph. Even as a Miata owner, Alfa Romeo still resonates with me, and I would love to own one with Mazda-esque reliability. I guess the young guys just don't understand.

Except it sounds like this car is going to be Italian-built and using Italian powertrains.  I would expect Italian reliability as a result.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on March 22, 2014, 09:17:10 PM
I understand the love for many cars and many car brands. Even if I don't like them much myself. But I will never understand the Alfa thing most people have.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on March 23, 2014, 08:05:12 AM
I understand the love for many cars and many car brands. Even if I don't like them much myself. But I will never understand the Alfa thing most people have.

Alfa was Ferrari before there was Ferrari.  In fact, before venturing into building his own cars, Enzo Ferrari's original Scuderia Ferrari racing team was the Alfa racing team (up until Alfa decided to take control and make it a full factory team, then Ferrari left and started building his own cars).  When he was a race driver, Enzo drove for Alfa.  From the 19-teens up into the early 70s, they were a racing powerhouse.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on March 23, 2014, 10:03:01 AM
I can't say I really care.

Just sayin', that's why people love Alfas.  People who grew up in the 80s or 90s (or even the mid to late 70s) wouldn't necessarily see the appeal because, by that point, Alfa had fallen from their former glory.  But for someone who grew up in the 50s or 60s (or earlier), Alfas were something special.  And unlike Ferrari, Alfa actually made sports/GT cars that people of more modest means could hope to afford.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Nothing drives like an ALFA!"  That's what the used to say.  They used to sound great as well.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Italian exotic > Japanese exotic

European Americans have generally always had a thing for Europe.   :lol:

Japanese cars started in the US as tiny econoboxes. European cars were always exotic "wannahave"....
Will

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 23, 2014, 03:50:11 PM
Italian exotic > Japanese exotic

European Americans have generally always had a thing for Europe.   :lol:

Japanese cars started in the US as tiny econoboxes. European cars were always exotic "wannahave"....
Japanese cars started as econoboxes. Then they kicked the shit out of everyone.
Euro cars were always exotic true. And they had exotic problems and exotic price tags. And that still holds true today, perhaps not near as bad as in the past. But I'd trust most Japanese car over any Euro car made.
I won't even get into my opinion of domestic cars.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on March 23, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
Euro cars were always exotic true. And they had exotic problems and exotic price tags. And that still holds true today, perhaps not near as bad as in the past. But I'd trust most Japanese car over any Euro car made.
And just what do you consider trustworthy?  Other than the feigned reliability of certain import manufacturers, their overall trustworthiness is little different from either Euro or domestic brands.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Onslaught on March 23, 2014, 04:45:55 PM

Agree-

Right now with more money I would get a Mazda5 (just big enough to haul the family but still decent gas mileage) and an older Miata. Probably hand my subie down to my son.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 23, 2014, 05:21:24 PM
May not be a lot of 'em, but ahem

I love the S2000 also, but the Japanese exotics aren't as desirable- in general...
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Can't wait to see this thing. Might Sell my NB and get one.

MrH

I'm also excited to see this thing.

Better power to weight ratio than the NC, lighter, and should get substantially better gas mileage.  :wub: looks like we're still on for a Chicago auto show reveal.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

This new Miata is looking good so far.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT32V

If only the mazdaspeed3 engine made it into this thing.

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on April 17, 2014, 08:55:53 AM
I'm also excited to see this thing.

Better power to weight ratio than the NC, lighter, and should get substantially better gas mileage.  :wub: looks like we're still on for a Chicago auto show reveal.

Getting ready to trade the BRZ for it  :lol:

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on May 05, 2014, 07:30:54 PM
Getting ready to trade the BRZ for it  :lol:

I'll try and pretend that thought hasn't crossed my mind :mask:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT32V on May 05, 2014, 06:30:32 PM
If only the mazdaspeed3 engine made it into this thing.

I'd rather have a high output N/A mill, like the s2000. Or a rotary. Miata's aren't a high power car, and probably never will be(from the factory). I have to admit, even my NB has "enough" power....still wouldn't mind having more(alot more) though.

Rich

Hit up the Nürburgring while I was in Germany.  I only did 1 lap.  I knew I wouldn't be able to get clean laps so more than one would have been pointless IMO.  The GP track was closed, and didn't get a chance to get Spa in.

Next up: Silverstone and Brands Hatch

p.s.

karussell suspension compression

And the gf looks better in the helmet than I do:

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 31, 2014, 01:08:04 PM
Hit up the Nürburgring while I was in Germany.  I only did 1 lap.  I knew I wouldn't be able to get clean laps so more than one would have been pointless IMO.  The GP track was closed, and didn't get a chance to get Spa in.

So much funz!!   :ohyeah:
Will