Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Meh I ran normal oil in my b2200
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Oh, I thought it was because you wanted to join the CSMWTO.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 28, 2017, 03:17:02 PM
I'm at the Mazda dealer now. :mask:

Test drove a black Grand Touring model:

They also had a launch edition RF, but it had an automatic so I drove the black GT. I fit in it surprisingly well, plenty of legroom and elbow room. Headroom was a bit more limited but there was still an inch or so. The top would probably have to be down if I wore a helmet.

The stickshift was super easy to drive. I was expecting it to be more like Mike's BRZ which had a high engagement point and touchy throttle. This grabbed right when you let off the clutch and the throttle was very linear and easy to modulate. All the controls were nicely weighted, especially compared to most new cars that are always too light and touchy. Steering was direct, reminds me of the E46 BMW but not quite as heavy (considering the curb weight difference, this isn't surprising)

The salesman took me through all of the infotainment controls but I didn't pay much attention because the radio is not the main selling point of a Miata. :lol:

I was surprised at the acceleration. It feels faster than the 0-60 times suggest, probably due to the low seating position and light weight. I wasn't wanting for power around town, although on the highway that opinion might change.

Overall I'm very impressed and if I had unlimited money, I would have ordered a Club model. Compared to 99% of new cars, this was a joy to drive. It's almost as much fun as my El Camino but newer and requires less regular maintenance. In the end, I think my inner Hot Rod would demand I get an NB with an LS3 swap. The Miata is a great platform and provides a lot of fun in stock form, so tastefully modifying it has gotta be even better.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Part of the appeal though is they run forever with little maintenance. A swap and it becomes just as much headache as anything else.
Will

Laconian

It seems like the 13:1 compression ratio is making the SkyG engine a pain to tune.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on January 28, 2017, 10:40:30 PM
It seems like the 13:1 compression ratio is making the SkyG engine a pain to tune.

It is already tuned so well.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on January 28, 2017, 10:40:30 PM
I feel like it would make it easier. Once someone develops some cams for it it's gonna scream. 13:1 compression is a god send for NA tuners.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 29, 2017, 07:39:38 AM
I feel like it would make it easier. Once someone develops some cams for it it's gonna scream. 13:1 compression is a god send for NA tuners.

and a good ECU tune, which become slightly complex with variable cams, ignition and injection timing, and stuff. It is very good stuff, but someone very good needs to tune it.

CaminoRacer

Turbocharging is more difficult too

MrH

The SkyActive stuff is hard to tune.  Really high compression ratios with very precise control of fuel and timing already.  They're struggling with the miata quite a bit.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

I think you'd want new gear ratios if you added significant power to the ND, 1st-3rd are already really really short.

I can understand wanting to stick a big engine in one, for sure, it must be blast. But if you're not into that it doesn't feel under-powered at all out of the box. Between the low seating position and center of gravity, lightweight, short gearing, meaty power profile relative to output, and open top, the sensation is like you're flying. Then on top of that all the controls respond best to aggressive inputs so you are always getting a good rush of acceleration. And because the car responds so well to brisk movements (better than lazy driving), you never feel like you're beating on it or mistreating it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2017, 08:07:51 AM
and a good ECU tune, which become slightly complex with variable cams, ignition and injection timing, and stuff. It is very good stuff, but someone very good needs to tune it.
This is child's play.... Honda boyz have been playing with all this stuff for decades. Just another variable to tune for. Once they crack the ECU it's off to the races. Hell there are already tunes out there putting out good power with run of the mill bolt ons. If someone can build this thing to rev (and the injectors can keep up) I can see these things putting down 220, 230, 240WHP easy

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Tave

I think 240 whp from a 155 crank motor w/ bolt ons and an ECU reflash is probably a tad optimistic.

Regardless even stock it's the most fun for your money period. Nothing else comes close on grins/dollar.

If you can afford a Lotus, buy one. For the rest of us there are Miatas.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

MrH

Doubling the horsepower through bolt ons and a tune is just silly talk.

Anyways, hurry up and take your free dealer advertisement off the back of your car :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 29, 2017, 08:39:01 AM
This is child's play.... Honda boyz have been playing with all this stuff for decades. Just another variable to tune for. Once they crack the ECU it's off to the races. Hell there are already tunes out there putting out good power with run of the mill bolt ons. If someone can build this thing to rev (and the injectors can keep up) I can see these things putting down 220, 230, 240WHP easy

Oh?  Big difference tuning stepped VTEC (what the Honda boyz have been playing with for decades:  The H and B series motors) with traditional port fuel injection and a <11:1 CR and a direct injected motor with twin cam CVVT and a 12:1 CR.

These high CR, DI motors have proven to be challenging to tune and modify.  Lots of Mustang guys not happy with the shift to DI in '18 because of all of the struggles the small block GM guys have been having trying to tune their DI LT1s.  It apparently makes adding forced induction hugely difficult.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: MrH on January 29, 2017, 09:13:42 AM
Doubling the horsepower through bolt ons and a tune is just silly talk.

Anyways, hurry up and take your free dealer advertisement off the back of your car :lol:

We'll see. It's been on there for a year and is much stronger than any other I've had: normally they peel off pretty easily.

I checked it out earlier in the week and was at a loss. About to give it it's first wash and will mull it over.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on January 29, 2017, 09:18:23 AM
We'll see. It's been on there for a year and is much stronger than any other I've had: normally they peel off pretty easily.

I checked it out earlier in the week and was at a loss. About to give it it's first wash and will mull it over.

Heat gun and fishing line.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: Tave on January 29, 2017, 09:18:23 AM

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2017, 09:22:16 AM
Heat gun and fishing line.

Yep.  That'll take any badge off.  Dental floss also works if you get enough heat into it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

GooGone or similar is good for any gunk left behind, too.

Tave

Argh! Screw the badge I gotta chip on my right front wheel arch, must've caught a rock passing someone. Guess I need to order some touch up paint this week.  :cry:

Rich

good ole Mazda paint (or modern paint)  I've heard the environmentally friendly stuff used on new cars is super  thin.

I'll save you a photo the gore of my 140,000 mile front fascia
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Get some clear 3M film to line the inside of your fender lips to prevent chips.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on January 29, 2017, 11:28:08 AM
Argh! Screw the badge I gotta chip on my right front wheel arch, must've caught a rock passing someone. Guess I need to order some touch up paint this week.  :cry:

A green or blue Sharpie should take care of it :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 29, 2017, 11:53:16 AM

I want this. Get a pro to do this or DIY?

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2017, 12:29:09 PM
A green or blue Sharpie should take care of it :lol:

A Cinnamon Nutmeg Sharpie. :rolleyes:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 29, 2017, 11:53:16 AM

Some of the guys I race with get the lower half of the car vinyl wrapped in the same color as the car. Old muscle cars are super prone to rock chips since the body tucks in at the bottom. With sticky 200TW tires constantly picking up rocks and throwing them at the paint, it's almost a necessity