The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

AutobahnSHO

Had to drive with the top up tonight. :cry:   It was in the 40s but dark when I got out of work (stupid solarwinds hack in the news) and was tired so didn't see that it was cloudy out. Put top down and hat on and started driving then it started raining. Pulled off while it was still safe to do so and put top up as the rest of the 25min/ 18miles would be not as conducive to pulling over.

On rainy days I take Impreza, I think that's the first time in 4+ months Scrappy has been driven with top up.
Will

Speed_Racer

Props for living your best convertible life - top down all the time!

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

Having read a bit about the Skyactiv engines, I'm curious if aftermarket headers provide much advantage over the stock manifolds.

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/skyactiv/skyactiv-g/

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 30, 2020, 07:13:13 PM
Having read a bit about the Skyactiv engines, I'm curious if aftermarket headers provide much advantage over the stock manifolds.

Interesting. The 2.0L engine in the NC has 12.5 to compression and you can tell the difference powerwise between regular and premium gas.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 30, 2020, 07:13:13 PM

That manifold doesn't look too far removed from a proper header.  A far cry from the cast lumps you find on a lot of motors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 01, 2021, 08:37:12 AM
That manifold doesn't look too far removed from a proper header.  A far cry from the cast lumps you find on a lot of motors.

Thankfully, modern emissions and efficiency standards have made these kind of details important. You can't get 180 HP and 40 MPG out of a NA 2.0 if it has a cast iron log.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

That is the fun part with engines these days - efficiency and power can be improved together. Unlike the 70s where they were the enemy of each other.

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on December 30, 2020, 08:07:53 PM
Interesting. The 2.0L engine in the NC has 12.5 to compression and you can tell the difference powerwise between regular and premium gas.

ND is 13.0! I think that the engine can tolerate up to 14.0, but for reasons (I forget which) they didn't push the limit in the Miata.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 01, 2021, 12:49:24 PM
ND is 13.0! I think that the engine can tolerate up to 14.0, but for reasons (I forget which) they didn't push the limit in the Miata.

Miatas are built for long-term reliability.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 02, 2021, 07:41:53 PM
Miatas are built for long-term reliability.

I think the same engine in the Mazda3 is up to 14:1.

I'm wondering if they assume the Miata will be modded more, so 13:1 might be a bit more friendly towards aftermarket parts.

Rich

Meet Mia, a 2003 Miata 5MT, base, with 61,000 miles.  As mentioned here: https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=35883.0 I traded in the 2019 Miata for the HR-V for the wife.  Other than the power, gas mileage, and stiff structure, there is not much I miss about it.  I wanted something to fiddle with and missed the NB's steering feedback, open-air feeling, throttle accuracy, spare tire, and seats.  No rust, and in fantastic condition.  There are a couple of small scrapes on the front and rear bumper and about 4 pencil eraser spots where the sap seems to have eaten through the clear coat.  No rust to be seen, full service records, barely driven and garaged for 15 years of its life. 

I wanted an NB2 for the headlights and red interior lighting.  I did not want an LSD, because I like the predictability of an open diff.  I had considered getting an M-Roadster, but I know my way around a Miata so I can do a lot on my own. 

Since it was a base it did not come with cruise control, and I wanted it bad.  Luckily, there were a couple of others that had installed factory cruise in their Miatas and it is easy to get the wiring diagram for the car.  I bought a "kit" from a parted-out Miata that had all the parts needed – stalk column, new pedal, computer, switches, vacuum module, and switch.  I just needed a pigtail which I was able to source from a junked Miata 90 minutes away.  I spliced some wires and screwed the rest of the parts in and now it has a working factory cruise. 

The previous owner said they replaced one of the speakers because it was blown and gave me the extra new speaker.  The sound was still wonky.  So I got the M800 speakers that fit beautifully and come with everything needed.  The right one wasn't working unless the balance was full-right.  I got a new Kenwood head unit and it was fine, so the "blown speaker" was just a bad head unit. 

The windows were slow, so I cleaned the rails and added some Shin-Etsu grease.  They work great now.  I replaced the trans, engine, and differential fluids.  The shifter dust turret and boot cover were both torn so I replaced those.  I fixed the common glove box sag and busted cupholder lid.  The previous owner kept the car under a tree, luckily he only owned the car for about a year.  But the drain holes were plugged with crap, the bottom of the fenders were stuffed with tree crap, and the cabin air intake was stuffed with tree crap too.  In Richlandia, it would be a crime to park cars under trees for long periods. 

To finish it off, I found some Mazda wheel caps to put on the 6ULs that I still had around. Feels like it rolled off the showroom a few months ago. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SJ_GTI

shp4man

AutobahnSHO

Dude what?!?! LOL scrappy junior?
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on January 04, 2021, 07:26:55 AM
Meet Mia, a 2003 Miata 5MT, base, with 61,000 miles. 

LOL Seriously, funny, and congrats!
If you want any of the stuff you sent with me, just let me know. I haven't touched hardly any of it!
Will

MrH

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a35048630/mazda-miata-mx-5-is-all-the-sports-car-youll-ever-need/

I think he nails it with this article.  I actually feel the same way about miatas for the most part.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 06, 2021, 06:32:35 PM
Miata is a proof of minimalism

I disagree. The Miata strikes the balances just right. You could go more minimal and end up with something like the Elise, which is a stellar performer for sure, but not nearly as appealing of a package.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 06, 2021, 07:09:39 PM
I disagree. The Miata strikes the balances just right. You could go more minimal and end up with something like the Elise, which is a stellar performer for sure, but not nearly as appealing of a package.

But the Elise gets fancy with a mid engine.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 06, 2021, 07:09:39 PM

But it's minimal power, minimal fluff, minimal hardcore, minimal etc...

It's just what is needed for it's purpose, no more.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Soul red NDs are so gorgeous. :) Saw one this morning.
Will

shp4man

Just changed the oil in mine this morning. Full synth 0-20W. The inside of the motor is spotless. Thank you previous owner(s)!

CaminoRacer

Washed the car this weekend. You can definitely tell the body panels are lightweight when you're washing it.

The complete opposite of the El Camino :lol:

CaminoRacer

Just ordered my autocross wheels & tires  :dance:
They should be here Wednesday.

CaminoRacer

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Will