The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on October 20, 2023, 09:48:53 PMI took the Miata for a spin today and I'll admit it's fun in a way that the EV6 can't touch. Watch the end of Camissa's video where he's driving around the LA canyons. Can't do that in an EV6. The EV6 is fantastic for daily driving and streaking around straights like a rocket, but it's not playful like the Miata.

For sure!
Will

AutobahnSHO

BTW Scrappy rolled 179k miles this morning.

And I do NOT recommend saving the $200 to get vinyl vs canvas top. I'd forgotten how much vinyl shrinks in colder (50f and below) temperatures- it's tough to get the vinyl top closed when needed.

I roll top down usually (sometimes with coat, hat, gloves, neck gator) but say it does rain a little or whatever it would be tough to get it closed in an emergency....

I was feeling really chilly last week sitting in the car waiting for something so I pulled the top up and blasted the heat for a couple minutes to get it soft enough to muscle it to the latches......
Will

CaminoRacer

I finally got my car back from the body shop. Almost 2 months after being hit.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 24, 2023, 12:17:02 PMI finally got my car back from the body shop. Almost 2 months after being hit.

Did they do a good job, I hope?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

From my first looks, the paint match seems good. The alignment of the trunk lid could use some tweaking, but I might fiddle with that myself before bringing it back to them to fix if needed.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 24, 2023, 01:51:10 PMFrom my first looks, the paint match seems good. The alignment of the trunk lid could use some tweaking, but I might fiddle with that myself before bringing it back to them to fix if needed.

My fiddling did nothing, so I brought to the shop at lunch and they got it adjusted better in 10-15 minutes.
They also had to install a missing MX-5 badge, since the one they originally ordered from the dealership arrived damaged. But I just picked up the car last week instead of waiting for the badge to come in.

Rich

So, I ran into myself.

gf and I get back from a day trip in the Subaru, she drove the last leg. Car is parked behind hers.

________
[Miata] \___________|
[Her Car] [Subaru]
-----------------------|

The next morning I have an early meeting thanks to the mothership being located in Europe.  I'm taking the Miata because it's gonna be a beautiful day.  Groggy me backs the Miata right into the Subaru RF fender. 

Luckily the Subaru's fender can just be pulled out and buffed I think.  The Miata will probably need a new bumper and maybe the bumper brackets straightened out as well as a new tail light. 

So if you've hit a deer or another car, at least you haven't run into yourself/ran into a stationary object.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Oh no! Sorry to hear about that. Ugh. I scraped the quarter panel of my NA Miata against the rear bumper of my Camry, so count me as a part of the stationary object club too.

AutobahnSHO

Bummer!

My first auto incident was also groggy- Dad told me to pull the car out of the garage and I started without clutch. Mangled my brother's bike in front of me...
Will

CaminoRacer

I put a lot of the stock parts back onto the car to sell it. Stock muffler, shock tower brace, driver's seat sliders, de-tuned, and installed a new AGM battery so I can keep the fancy Antigravity battery. (Maybe I'll put it in the El Camino)

Swapping back to stock is much easier than installing the aftermarket parts was.

The Karcepts front sway bar and stiffer springs will stay on the car, and I also didn't revert the nice red battery bracket or re-install the stupid sound tube.

AutobahnSHO

how much will it go for?

(don't get hopes up, it would be a hard discussion for me to bite- our finance plans are locked in for 3 years.)
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 09, 2023, 08:48:59 AMhow much will it go for?

(don't get hopes up, it would be a hard discussion for me to bite- our finance plans are locked in for 3 years.)

Selling to a dealership/Carmax for around $16k. Private party is probably $17-18k but I don't want to deal with listing it. There's some listed for $20-22k online but idk if they'll get that much, plus mine has been rear ended.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 09, 2023, 09:37:09 AMSelling to a dealership/Carmax for around $16k. Private party is probably $17-18k but I don't want to deal with listing it. There's some listed for $20-22k online but idk if they'll get that much, plus mine has been rear ended.

Fun fun.

My first Miata was rear-ended- at least twice. It was my boss's wife who bought it- after the first rear-end they had it painted red (originally white). After the 2nd, they had to have the trunk replaced. So it was red outside, white in the engine bay and trunk and underneath, and under the trunk was green.

Drove just fine though! Until I got divorced less than a year after I bought it and had to sell it because money...
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Rich on November 01, 2023, 03:13:36 PMSo, I ran into myself.

gf and I get back from a day trip in the Subaru, she drove the last leg. Car is parked behind hers.

________
[Miata] \___________|
[Her Car] [Subaru]
-----------------------|

The next morning I have an early meeting thanks to the mothership being located in Europe.  I'm taking the Miata because it's gonna be a beautiful day.  Groggy me backs the Miata right into the Subaru RF fender. 

Luckily the Subaru's fender can just be pulled out and buffed I think.  The Miata will probably need a new bumper and maybe the bumper brackets straightened out as well as a new tail light. 

So if you've hit a deer or another car, at least you haven't run into yourself/ran into a stationary object.
When the kids were teenagers, my daughter backed her Scion into my son's Civic. I watched it happen - "STOP!!!!" - frantic dad waving - and kerunch. Dollar signs debiting in front of my eyes.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

It's gone.

Kinda sad, but TBH the BMW is better for 99% of my driving. Utah roads are more autobahn than Tail of the Dragon.

CALL_911

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 10, 2023, 05:13:43 AMWhen the kids were teenagers, my daughter backed her Scion into my son's Civic. I watched it happen - "STOP!!!!" - frantic dad waving - and kerunch. Dollar signs debiting in front of my eyes.

When my GTI was new, it was parked front-to-front across from my sister's TSX, on a sloped driveway. My dad had to move it and didn't realize you pushed down to put it in reverse. So he put it in first and drove right into her car. He loved that

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 10, 2023, 07:33:24 PMIt's gone.

Kinda sad, but TBH the BMW is better for 99% of my driving. Utah roads are more autobahn than Tail of the Dragon.

Unless you leave the hearts of the valleys- Utah has some really really boring driving. Just way too efficient..
Will

AutobahnSHO

So my top latches are worn, I can't use the visors now because the vinyl top pulls the latches open.

Think this would fix the problem? They're aluminum instead of plastic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364438932665?fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3AMiata
Will

Laconian

Couldn't hurt, and you wouldn't be out too much money if they're not great.

MrH

On S2000's, the strikers are what goes wrong typically.  Sounds like the actual springs in the latches are tired on your Miata?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on December 20, 2023, 06:35:05 PMOn S2000's, the strikers are what goes wrong typically.  Sounds like the actual springs in the latches are tired on your Miata?

The nubs get worn down so they're not stopping the latch from opening. I put some epoxy on one a while back but it's back to not working.

If I put the visor up it's just enough pressure to keep the latch from popping open. The vinyl top is a lot tighter than the canvas one was (but it was falling apart after years of good service).

I really would not do vinyl again- the canvas just felt nicer and when it's chillier the vinyl is stiff and I take care to not break it.

Quote from: Laconian on December 20, 2023, 06:26:50 PMCouldn't hurt, and you wouldn't be out too much money if they're not great.

Yeah, I'll talk with wife about it. I was looking at new latches but they're $100 each. I can't use the visors right now with the top up LOLOLOL
Will

AutobahnSHO

HOLD THE PHONE
I was looking on Youtube for any review and found this video- he files a tiny bit off one side of the back and it supposedly catches better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1m8tDIothM

I'll look at it tomorrow. My little nubs in the center of the piece he modifies are worn down much more- not sure it will work.
Will

Rich

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on December 20, 2023, 08:18:02 PMI'd have to see the part that's worn

https://flyinmiata.com/products/billet-aluminum-top-latch-locks-pair

good find, I like these better than that ebay option. It's definitely the tips of the latch locks...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on December 20, 2023, 08:18:02 PMI'd have to see the part that's worn

I almost went with red but it wouldn't have matched ANYTHING in the car so black it is (with the latch bumpers too).

It was beautiful here today- got up to 45 degrees but I was already warmed up from disc golf (about 2mile walk plus bending plus throwing) so top down! 
Will

AutobahnSHO

The driver side works perfect, I had to move the passenger side screw out about 30% of it's travel (a millimeter or two). Might need new latch eventually. :(

Thanks again for the find! :)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Lol the little screw is rotating itself back in when the top is open (it sits facing the sky, gravity helps it). Time for some loctite.
Will

Rich

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on January 17, 2024, 06:59:23 PM

Says the video is private. :(

I saw a blue NB last week with a hardtop. This morning as I was coming into base they were leaving, and they flashed brights at me- of course I flashed back. :rockon:
Will

Rich

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 29, 2024, 07:15:17 AMSays the video is private. :(

I saw a blue NB last week with a hardtop. This morning as I was coming into base they were leaving, and they flashed brights at me- of course I flashed back. :rockon:

https://youtu.be/-uX_2BLl4Zo?si=8DiRBVVmA67UmP15