I don't understand the hate for the.......

Started by 2o6, September 12, 2010, 07:44:09 PM

2o6

That wore off.

I was honestly amazed at how far those things have depreciated. I'm going to try and test drive one this week to see what it's like.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 12:15:38 PM
That wore off.

I was honestly amazed at how far those things have depreciated. I'm going to try and test drive one this week to see what it's like.

You want to see depreciation? Go to a Cadillac or Jag dealership.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on September 13, 2010, 12:21:12 PM

Yeah, but seeing a relatively new car for $3K is a shocker for me, rather than a luxury car with "normal"
(horrendous) depreciation.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 12:26:16 PM

Yeah, but seeing a relatively new car for $3K is a shocker for me, rather than a luxury car with "normal"
(horrendous) depreciation.

That model was only like $12k new.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Payman

Quote from: the Teuton on September 13, 2010, 12:21:12 PM

Depreciation is your friend. It got me into a low mileage STS for $6000.

Payman

Quote from: MrH on September 13, 2010, 10:20:23 AM
Sight lines were terrible, and it wasn't a tenth as practical as a Miata of similar size.  Horrible packaging job.

They're sports cars. Yeah, the 'verts aren't as practical as the Miata, but the GXP and Redline offer much more performance. Only some 1000 coupes made it off the assembly line... I'd love to have one.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on September 13, 2010, 01:31:08 PM
They're sports cars. Yeah, the 'verts aren't as practical as the Miata, but the GXP and Redline offer much more performance. Only some 1000 coupes made it off the assembly line... I'd love to have one.

The Coupe is a bit awkward at the front of the car. The DLO on the sides is much shorter than the windscreen. From the rear 3/4 it looks hot, but the front.....not so much.

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Onslaught on September 13, 2010, 04:40:44 AM
The only reason people ha that car is the front bumper. Put something normal on it and people would like it.

Oh, and the build quality on the Neon was atrocious. I know it was a cheap car but still.

I don't mind the smile, not the best looking but not a deal breaker, and a fabulous car otherwise. The build quality on my neo is not awful, definitely not toyota standards, but hasn't fallen apart on me yet and there certainly are a lot of them running around on the roads.
Quote from: Rockraven on September 13, 2010, 05:33:27 AM
Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, and especially the Solstice Coupe. I think they were the best looking cars to come out of the last decade.

Best looking cars in years. I want one so bad

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

ChrisV

Quote from: MrH on September 13, 2010, 10:20:23 AM
Sight lines were terrible, and it wasn't a tenth as practical as a Miata of similar size.  Horrible packaging job.

To be fair, sports cars really don't HAVE to be practical. At least not every sports car made SHOULD try to be as practical as a sedan or hatchback any more than a sport bike needs to be as practical as a cruiser bike or even a car.

That being said, yes, the Mazda is more practical, but the Solstice/Sky outsold the MX5, proving that a lot of people wanted a sports car and really didn't give two shits about practicality, as they could own another car for that.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MrH

Quote from: ChrisV on September 13, 2010, 02:06:08 PM
To be fair, sports cars really don't HAVE to be practical. At least not every sports car made SHOULD try to be as practical as a sedan or hatchback any more than a sport bike needs to be as practical as a cruiser bike or even a car.

That being said, yes, the Mazda is more practical, but the Solstice/Sky outsold the MX5, proving that a lot of people wanted a sports car and really didn't give two shits about practicality, as they could own another car for that.

They don't have to be, but it doesn't hurt.

Terrible packaging, and an awful top.  They may have sold more, but it was at a lost because GM can't seem to get anything right.  Whoever thought hydroforming the rails was a good idea is a moron.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

It seems like the Skystace would still be with us if not for that technology. What exactly was the benefit?

The Phantom

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 12, 2010, 08:10:39 PM
HP ratings don't really say that one car is quicker than another.  A semi-truck that has 1200-lb.ft. of torque is slower than a Neon.

Is it?
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 02:25:00 PM
It seems like the Skystace would still be with us if not for that technology. What exactly was the benefit?

Stronger frame.  Has to do with the residual stresses compared to shaping a frame using conventional methods.  It's just expensive as hell.

I will admit the Sky was particularly attractive (can't say the same for the Solstice).  But even if you just compare the top mechanism and trunk to a Miata, it's mind blowing something that poorly thought out made it to market.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2010, 10:53:45 AM
BMW M Coupe. I can't seem to convince anybody of how great of a car it is. They can't get past the weird bulbous shape.
I love the M Coupe.  I still want one.  It's so weird that it's cool.

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on September 13, 2010, 05:33:27 AM
Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, and especially the Solstice Coupe. I think they were the best looking cars to come out of the last decade.
Most of the people I know or talked to liked them. I'm not one of them however.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on September 12, 2010, 10:01:37 PM

In 1999.

By that point the 1st Gen Neon was over, and the 2nd Gen (and SRT-4) was coming out.

Your point being?  I don't understand why you're trying to remove the Si and then include the SRT-4 which is 4 years after the fact.  It was there and it was an option.  Either way, the neon was never hated but rather was always seen as what it was; a good, albiet very cheap, car.  Now the Caliber on the other hand, that was hated.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on September 13, 2010, 07:58:22 PM
Your point being?  I don't understand why you're trying to remove the Si and then include the SRT-4 which is 4 years after the fact.  It was there and it was an option.  Either way, the neon was never hated but rather was always seen as what it was; a good, albiet very cheap, car.  Now the Caliber on the other hand, that was hated.

I meant that there was no direct competitor (but research proves me wrong, I totally forgot about the 200SX)....the Civic Si was introduced as the original Neon was being phased out. Also, there are a lot of people that have a hate for the Neon....saying it's a terrible drive, slow....ect. Uninformed opinions.

It'd be interesting to see a DOHC Coupe ACR Neon versus a Civic Si, though.

TBR

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 12, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
Can you provide empirical evidence of it being spacious, handling well, being quick, and getting good MPGs compared to its competitors of the time?  'Cause otherwise I do not believe any one of those things, except for perhaps the MPG.

:ohyeah:

They're actually all true. Not going to bother finding empirical evidence though. Relative to its competition, the Neon is probably a close second to the original Focus as far as good American compacts go. The Neon's only real problems were its 3AT, head gaskets, and crash performance.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on September 13, 2010, 10:53:45 AM
BMW M Coupe. I can't seem to convince anybody of how great of a car it is. They can't get past the weird bulbous shape.

You mean the BMW M Breadvan or the newer sexy as fuck M coupe? 

They were both awesome.   :lol:

I'd buy either, but I lean to the Z3 based model for practicality and light (tilt only sunroof still lets light in), even though the Z4 based model was technically a better car.  But what makes the Z4 M Coupe so great is that the Z4 M Roadster was never as good as a Porsche Boxster S, so it's not like you lose anything by not getting the convertible. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: TBR on September 13, 2010, 08:32:23 PM
They're actually all true. Not going to bother finding empirical evidence though. Relative to its competition, the Neon is probably a close second to the original Focus as far as good American compacts go. The Neon's only real problems were its 3AT, head gaskets, and crash performance.

Well, then I guess my hate is, in fact, unjustified.  Hence, this thread exists.

:lol:

Onslaught

Put me down as one who can't stand the M coupe. Or I should say can't stand the looks of it.

sportyaccordy

Hey guys, I just bought a pair of matching white Z3M hatches, check em out

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 13, 2010, 09:36:01 PM
Hey guys, I just bought a pair of matching white Z3M hatches, check em out

What's the handling like? 1/4 mile? 0-60? Skidpad? Dude, share the facts with us!  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

There's a guy around the corner from me who has an M Coupe. His girl drives a MiniCooper S JCW.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

2000+ Focus

I never understood why people said the Focus was a terrible car. A lot of uninformed "enthusiasts" as well as a lot of the general public has much disdain for the Focus.

Raza

Didn't they come with self immolation as standard at the beginning?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.