Lincoln Outlines its Plan to Take-on the Best of the Best (i.e. Mercedes, Lexus)

Started by Atomic, October 03, 2010, 09:54:47 AM

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on October 11, 2010, 11:51:25 AM
Road and Track had a blurb a long time ago about a guy who went into a Bentley dealer in a t-shirt and jeans. The sales staff wouldn't help him at all, so he ended up buying out the dealer and firing everyone who worked there.

That's still one of my favorite car stories of all time.

some people are just plain stupid. Of all people, high-end retail salespeople should know very well that there are plenty of rich people who go shopping dressed in Walmart clothes, simply because money speaks for itself, and they don't have to impress anyone with designer clothes.

Atomic

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 11, 2010, 12:12:51 PM
some people are just plain stupid. Of all people, high-end retail salespeople should know very well that there are plenty of rich people who go shopping dressed in Walmart clothes, simply because money speaks for itself, and they don't have to impress anyone with designer clothes.
...and not just the high ends ones - there are snobs ignorant dealers and salespeople selling kia's, but i, too, remember that awesome story!

BENZ BOY15

:lol: That's pretty good.

It's amazing how stupid car salesmen can be. You can't judge a book by its cover (cliche I know) & you never know where a sale is going to come from.

Funny though how the guys at the exotic car dealership chatted with me forever about all the cars there. It was really cool.

Atomic

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 11, 2010, 12:31:26 PM

It's amazing how stupid car salesmen can be. You can't judge a book by its cover (cliche I know) & you never know where a sale is going to come from.

Funny though how the guys at the exotic car dealership chatted with me forever about all the cars there. It was really cool.
but didn't you pose as a billionaire  :lol:?

thewizard16

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 11, 2010, 12:12:51 PM
It amazes me that some people don't seem to realize that. The wealthiest person I know personally is more often found in cheap looking jeans and a t-shirt and a ball cap than anything remotely formal or expensive looking. I always wondered if he dresses up a little when he does go car shopping or to bigger business doings, but I really doubt it.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Atomic

Quote from: thewizard16 on October 23, 2010, 12:18:07 PM
It amazes me that some people don't seem to realize that. The wealthiest person I know personally is more often found in cheap looking jeans and a t-shirt and a ball cap than anything remotely formal or expensive looking. I always wondered if he dresses up a little when he does go car shopping or to bigger business doings, but I really doubt it.

exactly right!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 11, 2010, 12:31:26 PM

Well now I know how to get a test drive at a Ferrari dealership

Purple velvet suit + ascot + monocle + pipe

OR

Incredibly gaudy rapper getup

Though I would bet they make people put down significant refundable deposits just to get a test drive... I know I would

Atomic

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 24, 2010, 08:58:22 AM

OR

Though I would bet they make people put down significant refundable deposits just to get a test drive... I know I would
they also look at what you drive to the dealership. a cobalt rental should be parked down the block  :lol:. the rolls-royce dealership in west palm beach, fl has guards on site nightly and 24/7 when closed for holidays and on sundays.

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 24, 2010, 08:58:22 AM

OR

so basically my halloween costumes from 2005 and 2007?

Morris Minor

My dad's too old now to deal with car dealers in particular, and snooty retailers in general, but he's always dressed like a tramp. His expensive glasses, and penchant for good Cuban cigars were giveaways but stupid salesmen never divined that far.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 11, 2010, 02:58:56 AM
When you're selling rebadged and overpriced Toyota's, every little helps.  :evildude:

Clearly it has, Lexus sales are higher than Mercedes sales.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AltinD

^^ Only in USA (and probably your backyard called Canada), everywhere else in the planed INCLUDING Japan, is the opposite by very, very far.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 26, 2010, 02:51:09 PM
Clearly it has, Lexus sales are higher than Mercedes sales.

Actually I think Mercedes has passed Lexus this year or they are pretty close to it now. 

Atomic

just read in automotive news that fmc will go to "ford sales staff" and "lincoln sales staff" within the some stores  :facepalm:.

Atomic

instead of a new thread... i am adding the following as it is very closely related to the topic at hand...

Ford: Lincoln stores need own staff: Brand's customer service push is taking shape

By: Jamie LaReau

For: Automotive News -- December 6, 2010 - 12:01 am ET

All Ford-Lincoln dealerships should have a dedicated staff to sell and service Lincolns, says C.J. O'Donnell, Lincoln's group marketing manager.

If the Lincoln National Dealer Council agrees to that this week, O'Donnell wants it carried out in the next few months.

The new rule is part of a still-developing plan to improve customer service at Lincoln dealerships so the brand can compete with top luxury brands. In June, Ford Motor Co. executives killed Mercury and promised to develop refined luxury vehicles in the coming years for the Lincoln dealers to sell.

"The luxury customer expects a high level of product knowledge," O'Donnell said in an interview. "If you have a Ford-Lincoln dealership, there are 23 or so products, and that's too much for anyone to understand."

In May Ford named O'Donnell, 48, group marketing manager of Lincoln Mercury. He had been global marketing director for Jaguar.

In October, Ford told Lincoln dealers to prepare to invest in showroom renovations and improve customer service. If they chose not to, Ford would offer to buy out their franchise. Lincoln wants dealers to decide by next summer.

Ford wants to eliminate at least 200 Lincoln dealerships in the top 130 U.S. markets. There are about 1,200 U.S. Lincoln dealerships.

O'Donnell said the brand is working with the Lincoln National Dealer Council to revise the advertising co-op program and extend dealer training. Lincoln probably will boost profit margins to allow dealers to offer bonuses to exemplary sales or service employees.

Lincoln will discuss the topics during a three-day meeting with the dealer council starting Wednesday, Dec. 8, said Bob Tasca Jr., a Rhode Island dealer and head of Lincoln's dealer council.

"They're going to be stricter on how we go to market with Lincoln and clean up some of these ads that are not really representative of a luxury brand," Tasca said.

But O'Donnell's main focus is for dualed dealers to create a dedicated sales and service staff for Lincoln soon.

"That's a key step as we go forward because those people must be immediately certified with our sales and service training," he said. "We need to pull out the teams as to who's Lincoln and who's Ford, who can successfully sell an F-150 and who can sell a Lincoln. We need to elevate all of that and to know who to train and who to reward."

Atomic

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on October 31, 2010, 05:12:54 PM
Actually I think Mercedes has passed Lexus this year or they are pretty close to it now. 
very close, but it has to do partly with sprinter now being labeled a "mercedes-benz" opposed to dodge, ram or freightliner.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.