Sporty's automotive corner

Started by sportyaccordy, October 03, 2010, 04:19:10 PM

sportyaccordy

Found an old car key a few days ago. Became instantly nostalgic. I really want a 4th gen Prelude.

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 05, 2011, 12:00:10 PM
I'm wondering what it would take to change the firing order on a V8.

I've been studying them and have figured out why BMW V8s sound like butter, and old domestic V8s sound like ass (when not accelerating)

All about the firing order

Obviously it would take a custom cam... and maybe 4-1 headers to even things out... but even w/an old 5.0 EFI things are simple otherwise

LSx fit the bill but are so fucking expensive

Would love an E39 M5 sounding V8 in something like an old RX-7 or S14... ah one day. Just been thinking about builds I would love to tackle... that seems like the best of all worlds. Maybe an old Prelude for DD duty

The old domestic V8s were probably low compression smog motors making 140 hp with tame cams, exhaust throttled by low-flow cats and 4000 rpm redlines.

Compared with the small tightly strung OHC V8s found in the german imports that cost many multiples more.

I doubt it is just firing order.  The big 3 had different firing orders based on the engine family and performance level though.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT32V on June 07, 2011, 03:36:13 PM
The old domestic V8s were probably low compression smog motors making 140 hp with tame cams, exhaust throttled by low-flow cats and 4000 rpm redlines.

Compared with the small tightly strung OHC V8s found in the german imports that cost many multiples more.

I doubt it is just firing order.  The big 3 had different firing orders based on the engine family and performance level though.

I looked it up. Import V8s generally have a pretty symmetric firing order. Actually, the Coyote 5.0 has the same one now. Old domestic ones were anything but. I'm at a loss as to why, they make no sense, and warranted the crazy counterweights and all that they came with. Things got better with time though. The LSx is pretty symmetric I think too.

hotrodalex

When you say "old domestic V8's", how old is old? Pre-1972 V8's sound wonderful.