Sporty's automotive corner

Started by sportyaccordy, October 03, 2010, 04:19:10 PM

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 08, 2010, 03:49:04 PM
German cars depreciate just as quickly. Most of these cars will probably be leased.

Leasing a car with high depreciation doesnt' make a lot of sense either since the cost would be too high.. you're better off with a different car.

sportyaccordy

I absolutely love how cheap E65s are getting. 80-90K car, 7-9 years old, yours for 10K. Unbelievable. Not that I'm thinking of torturing myself with one, but, maybe in a few years when they break the 5K barrier....

the Teuton

Why do they depreciate to the same point of a much lesser E320 or C320?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on January 11, 2011, 07:30:06 PM
Why do they depreciate to the same point of a much lesser E320 or C320?
E65's a the 02+ 7 series, but yea the W220 is even worse. The C320/E320/S430 of the same years all pretty much cost the same, lol. They get hit bad cause they have more shit to break, and cost more to keep running. All the stuff that makes them desirable new become liabilities out of warranty. Whereas a 3 series is basically a fun to drive Corolla, lol.

the Teuton

You meant E65 BMW? It's because the earlier models are ugly, the hard plastics in them are shite, and the iDrive sucks. They're needlessly overcomplicated.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

I think you'll find the depreciation curve about the same irrespective of the model (i.e., a $45k E350 will depreciate about the same % per year as a $90k E63).

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2011, 09:34:50 AM
I think you'll find the depreciation curve about the same irrespective of the model (i.e., a $45k E350 will depreciate about the same % per year as a $90k E63).
Within a range, yes. But not across the brand.

GoCougs

Well, that to - betcha an CL600 and a C230 have quite similar depreciation cures.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 12, 2011, 09:58:17 AM
Well, that to - betcha an CL600 and a C230 have quite similar depreciation cures.
Naw I think the CL600's depreciation curves are much more extreme. Like I said a C320, E320 and S430 of the same year cost about the same amt of money now, despite the S430 having been 1.5-3x more expensive than the other two cars new. Comes back to the potential for problems, cost of operation and inherent value of the cars once the flagship cachet has fizzled out.

Even still though I feel like if one knows what to look for they can get a whole lot of car for a small sum of money and not a lot of trouble.

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 12, 2011, 10:05:14 AM
Even still though I feel like if one knows what to look for they can get a whole lot of car for a small sum of money and not a lot of trouble.

[/ChrisV]

sportyaccordy

Rented a Fusion for work.... bleh

Motor was pretty mediocre; wondering if it had a 6 spd auto as its kickdowns were needlessly dramatic. Steering/handling wasn't memorable. Interior was goofily designed; center console had no storage under the dash because Ford felt the need to take up the whole space from the vents to the shifter console w/HVAC + radio controls. The radio was essentially a triple DIN design, and the HVAC controls were double DIN, with a lot of buttons. It was so crowded they had to put the AUX input in the center armrest cubby. That said though this car had an EXCELLENT stereo, best I've heard in a new car so far by a landslide. Really deep bass, decent imaging yadda yadda.

I am like Ifcar over here lol.....

My rankings of the newish midsizers I've driven so far:

1. Sonata
2. Fusion
3. Altima

My brother in law works for Budget, IIRC... need to hit him up; hopefully I can get into some Mustangs and G35s at steep discounts.

sportyaccordy

Watched a vid of my old exhaust last night, got to reminiscing and daydreaming about all the builds I would love to tackle....

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w272/futuresixtytwo/maxima/?action=view&current=Title02.mp4

95-99 Maxima... DE-K swap, JWT cams, OBX Altima headers, D2 coilovers, 300ZX brakes...

90-93 Accord coupe... turbo H22A (250whp), Koni/Skunk2 suspension, NSX brakes

03-07 Accord coupe... K24A4/8, TSX 11:1 pistons & intake manifold, DC Sports race header, CAI, BC stg II cams, K-pro, Koni/Skunk2 suspension, Brembo blanks/Hawk HPS brakes...

S2000.... F20C, medium sized turbo (~350whp max), legit suspension, some kind of BBK...

W215 CL500... boss rims, slight drop, full high quality ICE setup...

Of all these... I think most realistically I will try the Accord and S2K when I move down south. Accord build could be *somewhat* rationalized for fuel economy. They're pretty light too, something like 3000 lb for the EX 5 spd, multilink/wishbones all around, nice interior too.

MrH

Why do you dream about putting OBX headers on something? :wtf:

See Chimp's sealing issues if you want an indicator of OBX's quality.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on May 02, 2011, 05:44:24 PM
Why do you dream about putting OBX headers on something? :wtf:

See Chimp's sealing issues if you want an indicator of OBX's quality.
I bet money he used the OBX gaskets. Use OEM gaskets and most headers seal pretty well. Everyone w/those Maxima headers only have had good things to say.

Plus the next step up (Cattman headers) is too expensive ($800+) for the power you get (~20HP), though the long tube primaries sound incredible. But the OBX headers are pretty much the same design, just made in China, and for ~$300. I'm a cheap bastard.

Actually, the muffler on my Maxima in that video was by OBX :lol: Car sounded INCREDIBLE. Really should have documented it better. Actually, never should have sold that car but that's another story.

Eye of the Tiger

You should take a look at Eye of the Tiger headers. Guaranteed 4 hp gain.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2011, 10:09:21 AM
:lol: :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2011, 10:09:21 AM
Hey man if you can weld :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 03, 2011, 09:52:26 AM
I bet money he used the OBX gaskets. Use OEM gaskets and most headers seal pretty well. Everyone w/those Maxima headers only have had good things to say.

Plus the next step up (Cattman headers) is too expensive ($800+) for the power you get (~20HP), though the long tube primaries sound incredible. But the OBX headers are pretty much the same design, just made in China, and for ~$300. I'm a cheap bastard.

Actually, the muffler on my Maxima in that video was by OBX :lol: Car sounded INCREDIBLE. Really should have documented it better. Actually, never should have sold that car but that's another story.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Maxima SEs of that vintage. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Submariner

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 02, 2011, 02:24:32 PM
Watched a vid of my old exhaust last night, got to reminiscing and daydreaming about all the builds I would love to tackle....

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w272/futuresixtytwo/maxima/?action=view&current=Title02.mp4

95-99 Maxima... DE-K swap, JWT cams, OBX Altima headers, D2 coilovers, 300ZX brakes...

90-93 Accord coupe... turbo H22A (250whp), Koni/Skunk2 suspension, NSX brakes

03-07 Accord coupe... K24A4/8, TSX 11:1 pistons & intake manifold, DC Sports race header, CAI, BC stg II cams, K-pro, Koni/Skunk2 suspension, Brembo blanks/Hawk HPS brakes...

S2000.... F20C, medium sized turbo (~350whp max), legit suspension, some kind of BBK...

W215 CL500... boss rims, slight drop, full high quality ICE setup...

Of all these... I think most realistically I will try the Accord and S2K when I move down south. Accord build could be *somewhat* rationalized for fuel economy. They're pretty light too, something like 3000 lb for the EX 5 spd, multilink/wishbones all around, nice interior too.

Mechanically, CL's are great, but it's the electronics that can bite you in the balls.  But, I fully understand where you're coming from - it's a boss car. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

Quote from: The Pirate on May 03, 2011, 08:51:42 PM
I have a soft spot in my heart for Maxima SEs of that vintage.  
They're really good. Well, they don't handle all that great, and the gearshift is awful... but the interiors are nice (esp fully loaded) and the motor is a true gem with a huge & smart following. $2500, you can get a top of the line 5 spd with ~150K miles, and drive it for another 150K miles no problem, one of the biggest automotive bargains out there IMO.

sportyaccordy

I had a dream last night that I rode in a 2011 Mustang GT... the speed was disappointing, felt less like a Rustang and more like a VTEC Civic. Now I really have to drive one to cleanse my Mustang pallette

The Pirate

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 04, 2011, 05:36:07 AM
They're really good. Well, they don't handle all that great, and the gearshift is awful... but the interiors are nice (esp fully loaded) and the motor is a true gem with a huge & smart following. $2500, you can get a top of the line 5 spd with ~150K miles, and drive it for another 150K miles no problem, one of the biggest automotive bargains out there IMO.

Don't tell me that.  I'm getting a little tired of the Proteg?, and basically want something with more power and comfort.  It only has 130 hp, isn't all that fast, and I haven't seen better than 30 mpg since ethanol came around.  Last highway trip yielded 27 mpg.

A Maxima SE of that era probably gets close to the same fuel consumption, with a better ride, better seats and a hell of a lot more power.  Damn, checking CL right now...

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

68_427

Quote from: The Pirate on May 14, 2011, 04:56:34 PM
Don't tell me that.  I'm getting a little tired of the Proteg?, and basically want something with more power and comfort.  It only has 130 hp, isn't all that fast, and I haven't seen better than 30 mpg since ethanol came around.  Last highway trip yielded 27 mpg.

A Maxima SE of that era probably gets close to the same fuel consumption, with a better ride, better seats and a hell of a lot more power.  Damn, checking CL right now...

I want one with a VQ35 and 6spd
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: The Pirate on May 14, 2011, 04:56:34 PM

I don't know how a Maxima would do on current gas, but back in 2008 I got no worse than 19MPG in pretty much all city driving. Road trips yielded about 27-30MPG averaging ~80-90MPH. VQ ran smoother than the lump in my mom's Lexus, with 30K more miles... and it sounded great, as shown in the vid (though I had a Cali spec car, which had extra cats and a different header setup). W/leather + the Bose system it feels downright luxury.

Actually, if you want all the bells and whistles, for some reason 5 spd I30s are cheaper than Maximas, and of course come fully loaded, and most importantly have a VLSD. They also have some other features (tilting front headrests, rear headrests) that I think are cool.

Only really shitty thing about Maximas is, for 95-99 anyway, the rear seats don't fold. They have a little pass through. But if you carry a lot of shit... it's prob a no go.

Good cars though. The motor, when uncorked, makes up for all its other shortcomings. Also isn't terrible on gas, at least in 3.0 form. I would love to build one up, and develop + sell a new intake manifold for it, as the stock one has inadequate plenum volume. But that's another thread.....

sportyaccordy

Jumping the gun so much on this potential job in NC. Gonna go conservative for our ( :( ) first car. Most likely gonna go w/a 4th gen I30... automatic :(

2o6

There are other cars out there.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 14, 2011, 05:31:58 PM
I don't know how a Maxima would do on current gas, but back in 2008 I got no worse than 19MPG in pretty much all city driving. Road trips yielded about 27-30MPG averaging ~80-90MPH. VQ ran smoother than the lump in my mom's Lexus, with 30K more miles... and it sounded great, as shown in the vid (though I had a Cali spec car, which had extra cats and a different header setup). W/leather + the Bose system it feels downright luxury.

Actually, if you want all the bells and whistles, for some reason 5 spd I30s are cheaper than Maximas, and of course come fully loaded, and most importantly have a VLSD. They also have some other features (tilting front headrests, rear headrests) that I think are cool.

Only really shitty thing about Maximas is, for 95-99 anyway, the rear seats don't fold. They have a little pass through. But if you carry a lot of shit... it's prob a no go.

Good cars though. The motor, when uncorked, makes up for all its other shortcomings. Also isn't terrible on gas, at least in 3.0 form. I would love to build one up, and develop + sell a new intake manifold for it, as the stock one has inadequate plenum volume. But that's another thread.....

Yeah, I think I'd be looking for a 95-99 with the 3.0L 5-speed.  Bummer about the rear seats, but not a deal breaker.  The wheels are turning now, especially because the car isn't significantly worse on gas the my Mazda (23 city, 28 highway, generally).

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on May 14, 2011, 10:24:30 PM

He wants a Maxima, and you want a Focus.  :huh:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on May 14, 2011, 10:24:30 PM
In the Maxima's price range, there isn't a more reliable quick decent looking 5 passenger car. $5K, I challenge you to find a better overall package.