Wintah tiyahs!

Started by the Teuton, October 20, 2010, 04:43:03 PM

S204STi

To those who think winter tires are a bad idea, ... huh?! :confused:

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on November 14, 2010, 10:09:35 PM
To those who think winter tires are a bad idea, ... huh?! :confused:

Haha, yeah.

My Blizzaks are stacked in my dining room (small apt.), and I'm itching for a blizzard so I can go destroy some parking lots.  Probably going to put them on this coming week, temp is getting down into the 40s and will probably stay there. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

Quote from: The Pirate on November 14, 2010, 09:46:17 PM
Hmm.  I distinctly got the impression that you weren't a proponent of snow tires.  That's what I get for finishing up a paper and enjoying a few adult beverage while I read the 'Spin.

Not at all.  I'm just not a proponent of snow tires in an area when they only need them once or twice a year.  Wasted money, IMO. :huh:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 15, 2010, 12:00:45 AM
Not at all.  I'm just not a proponent of snow tires in an area when they only need them once or twice a year.  Wasted money, IMO. :huh:
Well it's his money and if it makes him feel safer, why not? And he got two of the tires for free so it's not like he blew a ton of money on the winter tires. :huh:

Money has been wasted on far worse before...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

I'm aware he got them fo' fwee.

S204STi

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 15, 2010, 12:00:45 AM

My view is that snow tires are demonstrably better in all winter weather, and the cost of the tires is less than my insurance deductible.  So it's absolutely worth it.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 15, 2010, 12:17:37 PM
I hear ya...

You ended up getting 4 tires, right?  Have you put 'em on yet?  I'm putting mine on towards the tail end of this week or early next week.  Just waiting for the temp to get down into the 40s and stay below that point.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 15, 2010, 12:21:53 PM
You ended up getting 4 tires, right?  Have you put 'em on yet?  I'm putting mine on towards the tail end of this week or early next week.  Just waiting for the temp to get down into the 40s and stay below that point.

Two. And I have to get them balanced like a mofo.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

Hold on... did I miss the death of plasticar?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 15, 2010, 12:24:49 PM
Two. And I have to get them balanced like a mofo.

Dude, two winter tires is almost worse than no winter tires.  Front of the car is going to have traction, and the rear will be all loosey-goosey.  You'll probably be able to manage it putting around town, but it's going to be a shitshow when you get into higher speeds.

the Teuton

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on November 15, 2010, 12:29:27 PM
Dude, two winter tires is almost worse than no winter tires.  Front of the car is going to have traction, and the rear will be all loosey-goosey.  You'll probably be able to manage it putting around town, but it's going to be a shitshow when you get into higher speeds.

x10

Like racing slicks on the front and 100 kmile cheapo all-seasons on the rear. Except at normal driving speeds.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

I think the El Camino will be ready to drive by the time it starts snowing. It will have no winter tires, it ain't no sissy car!

:lol:

Rupert

Oh, man, you're gonna get good at unintentional donuts.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Yep. :lol:

It doesn't snow a whole lot around here, though, some I'm not too worried. Once this set of tires wears out I'll probably get another set of wheels (probably 17s or 18s) to put some summer rubber on and put some mild winter/snow tires on the rims I have now.

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on November 17, 2010, 09:12:13 PM
Oh, man, you're gonna get good at unintentional donuts.

Throw some sandbags or cinder blocks in the back and it'll be all good.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hounddog

Quote from: MX793 on November 18, 2010, 02:32:19 PM
Throw some sandbags or cinder blocks in the back and it'll be all good.
As long as the tires on the back on in really good shape, I have to agree.

We ran snows on police cars on the rear only for my entire career.  They still do as far as I know, except up around here, where they run them at all four corners.

The fronts just had to be on nearly new condition, and you had to be a little careful.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 10, 2010, 10:01:14 PM
I wouldn't call ~50" annual snowfall a justification for snow tires. lulz.
You know, I have considered this post for awhile now.

Upon a glossary view I would concur, however, if we are talking about the old fashioned block snow tires. 

Modern snows have far more uses than snow only.  They are incredible on ice, and could all but prevent black ice crashes.  They are also really good in slushy conditions where only a couple inches fell, but the slush makes the roads hazardous without deep snow.

They also work pretty well in heavy rain due to all the extra sipes and channels.

This is actually a decent article regarding modern winters;

http://valuecanuck.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/purchase-decision-winter-tires-part-1/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on November 15, 2010, 12:29:27 PM
Dude, two winter tires is almost worse than no winter tires.  Front of the car is going to have traction, and the rear will be all loosey-goosey.  You'll probably be able to manage it putting around town, but it's going to be a shitshow when you get into higher speeds.
I told him this earlier in the thread.  The problem with just two winter tires on the front will rear it's ugly head at intersections before he has a problem at higher speeds.  He will be coming to an icy intersection where the fronts will bite and the rears will just slide to the side and try to swap ends with the fronts.

MrH

Quote from: hounddog on November 18, 2010, 04:10:46 PM
As long as the tires on the back on in really good shape, I have to agree.

We ran snows on police cars on the rear only for my entire career.  They still do as far as I know, except up around here, where they run them at all four corners.

The fronts just had to be on nearly new condition, and you had to be a little careful.

Teuton isn't quite at the level of trained police officers when it comes to driving in the snow :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hounddog

True.

However, my parents did the same thing and they were never trained LE drivers.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke