First Drive: 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

Started by BMWDave, September 09, 2005, 07:27:17 AM

BMWDave

Link

The Fun One
By Dan Kahn
Date posted: 09-08-2005

Fun. It's what's been missing from the recently redesigned Volkswagen Jetta. VW gave the car new lines, a bigger cabin and more power across the board, but somewhere along the way, the Jetta got a bit too serious. So far there have been just two models, the entry-level 2.5 and the frugal TDI.

For 2006, Volkswagen has added two more: the luxurious 2.0T and the sporty GLI. The two models cost essentially the same, and use the same turbocharged engine, but they're as different as wine and whiskey.

With its standard heated seats and optional wood trim, the 2.0T is for the someday-CEO, the Trump lover that just made it out of the mailroom.

In the Jetta's sensible-yet-sporty world, the GLI, with its blacked-out honeycomb grille, sport seats and a sport-tuned suspension, is for the up-and-coming rock star. It's the fun one.

Juiced-Up Jetta
Both models are front-wheel drive and use the same 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder that's also used in the Passat as well as Audi's A3 and A4. The engine produces 200 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 207 pound-feet of torque from 1,800 to 4,700 rpm, which is more than enough grunt to make the chubby 3,300-pound 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI a relatively quick ride.

Buyers can choose between two transmissions, a six-speed manual or a six-speed direct-shift gearbox (DSG). We prefer the DSG, which permits fully automatic or true manual operation. In "Drive" it's a quality automatic. In manual mode, it switches gears in a heartbeat and perfectly matches revs on every downshift. Plus, there's no clutch pedal to mess with, just a couple of well-placed steering wheel paddles.

Fuel economy is good, too, 24 city/32 highway with the manual and 25 city/31 highway with the DSG, but the 2.0-liter drinks premium.

Additional features include standard stability control, traction control and 17-inch alloy wheels. A standard sport suspension is the GLI's only real mechanical difference over the 2.0T, and the cars we drove wore optional 18-inch five-spokes with summer performance tires, also exclusive to the GLI. The resulting ride is stiff and sporty but by no means uncomfortable, much like the ride in our Audi A4 long-term car.

Looking the Part
In typical German fashion, big honking wings, spoilers and faux carbon fiber are all conspicuously absent. Instead, VW's wild child Jetta has subtle touches to denote its high-performance pedigree.

Outside, the GLI gets the black honeycomb grille accented with a red pinstripe, black lower body trim, blue tinted windows, dual stainless exhaust tips, bright red brake calipers, auto-leveling high-intensity xenon headlights, and GLI badges front and rear that replace the Jetta name completely. Two new colors are exclusive to the GLI, Salsa Red and Deep Black Metallic.

Things are just as sporty yet subtle in the cabin. All the wood and metallic trim from the standard model have been replaced with genuine aluminum. The front seats are eight-way adjustable sport buckets that are exclusive to the GLI. They offer exceptional support and comfort, even on long drives. The pedals are covered in aluminum trim with rubber grip strips for quick footwork, and the tilting and telescoping F1-style flat-bottom steering wheel is thickly padded.

Safety concerns are addressed with standard dual front, front-side, front-side curtain and rear-side curtain airbags. Rear-passenger thorax airbags, which come out of the door, are optional.

Behind the Wheel
This is not a horsepower-addled rally car like the Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evolution. It's fast, just not crazy-fast. VW claims the car will sprint to 60 mph in 7 seconds when equipped with the DSG transmission. That's the same time recorded by the last A3 we tested, which used the same drivetrain, and it's nearly two and a half seconds quicker than the last Jetta 2.5 we took to the track.

Instead of stoplight-to-stoplight racing, the GLI is built for high-speed cruising and occasional canyon carving. The DSG-equipped GLI we drove positively shone on the open road. The turbo four offers plenty of bottom-end torque to get things rolling, but it really shines from 4,000-6,000 rpm, where the motor sings and the turbo whines. Tip the accelerator in the engine's sweet spot and the car leaps forward.

At triple-digit speeds on an empty stretch of New Mexico highway, the GLI's interior remained quiet and its engine purred along like a happy kitten. High-speed stability was excellent.

When the road does turn, the electromechanical steering is tight and sporty, offering excellent feedback and feel. And the suspension, which has thicker antiroll bars, gives the car a hunkered-down planted feeling in the corners. Push too hard and radical understeer rears its ugly head, but the car is easy to drive quickly and much more fun than we thought it would be.

Conclusion
At $23,790, the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI's base price is only a grand less than the starting price of the Audi A3, which shares the Jetta's platform. Order the option Package 1 for $1,460, which adds a sunroof and satellite radio, and the GLI's value remains high.

But cough up $3,200 for the option Package 2, which includes the sunroof, the satellite radio, dual-zone climate control and heated leather seats, and $1,800 for the DVD navigation system, and suddenly the affordable GLI costs about the same as an equally equipped Acura TSX.

Additional options on the GLI include the DSG transmission ($875), the 18-inch wheels ($750) and the rear thorax airbags ($350). Order it all and a loaded-to-the-gills GLI comes in over $31 thou.

As much as we like to think of ourselves as rock stars, and as much as we like driving the GLI, that sounds like a lot for the Jetta.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

Motor Trend loved it.

Where did you get this review?  They like DSG more than a conventional manual?  What is it, Edmunds?  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

QuoteMotor Trend loved it.

Where did you get this review?  They like DSG more than a conventional manual?  What is it, Edmunds?
Yup.

I do agree though, $31k is an assload for a Jetta. You can get a loaded 9-3 2.0T for $32,000. Loaded is navigation, power everything, xenon, sunroof, heated seats, everything basically.  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Champ

The link is edmunds.com so I'd assume he got it from edmunds.

Raza

Where did you get this review?  They like DSG more than a conventional manual?  What is it, Edmunds?
Yup.

I do agree though, $31k is an assload for a Jetta. You can get a loaded 9-3 2.0T for $32,000. Loaded is navigation, power everything, xenon, sunroof, heated seats, everything basically.
Well, I can't say about handling, but the GLI is faster, and has a nicer interior.  I'll run a comparison to see dimension differences.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Let's try something here...
Top number is for the Jetta, bottom for the 9-3

Exterior length (")

Exterior body width (")

Exterior height (")

Front track (")

Rear track (")

Turning radius (')

Ground clearance (")

-

Legroom (front, ")

Legroom (rear, ")

Headroom (front, ")

Headroom (rear, ")

Shoulder room (front, ")

Shoulder room (rear, ")

Passenger volume (cu.ft.)

Interior cargo volume (cu.ft.)

Maximum interior cargo volume (cu.ft.)

Curb weight (lbs.)

Curb weight (lbs.)

-

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cozmik

Where did you get this review?  They like DSG more than a conventional manual?  What is it, Edmunds?
Yup.

Well, I can't say about handling, but the GLI is faster, and has a nicer interior.  I'll run a comparison to see dimension differences.
I don't agree on the nicer interior. The Jetta I looked at had a very marginal interior compared to the old one. The new one has lots of hard plastic in it.  And I still like my 9-3's interor more than the old Jetta though.  :praise:

And the GLI isn't that much faster. .2 seconds is not that big a difference that will be noticable.

I couldn't say about handling either though. If they are still putting the Pirelli P6 on the 9-3 stock, then I'd say the GLI would do slightly better.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

I think Motor Trend got to 60 in 6 and a half seconds, which is a lot faster than a 9-3.  The new Jetta, after stroking the dash of that and the 9-3, definitely has better materials and fit and finish.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cozmik

QuoteI think Motor Trend got to 60 in 6 and a half seconds, which is a lot faster than a 9-3.  The new Jetta, after stroking the dash of that and the 9-3, definitely has better materials and fit and finish.
I still don't agree with the materials. I feel the 9-3 has much better materials. The 2005 9-3 dash is moot anyways, because the 2006 9-3 gets upgraded materials. Either way though, this has some personal preference to it, so it's not really something that is concrete.  ;)  :)

The 9-3's fit has always been a bit variable though. Like it all stays together well, but they seem to have designed a lot of placement position into it. It's very odd.  <_<    

Champ

QuoteInterior cargo volume (cu.ft.)

Maximum interior cargo volume (cu.ft.)

I still miss the hatchback.  So it didn't look great, but holy crap is it usefull.  Esp. in college when I needed to transport things, and for all my lacrosse trips my car was always loaded with other peoples crap because they couldn't get it in their car.  Mine swallowed my stuff, plus others.

I have only test drove the 9-3 with a auto (no sticks on the lot), and I haven't tried the new jetta.  Even if the car is slightly slower, they usually make it up on the highway, as all the saab's I've driven have exceptional power at speed.  And turbo's are just a hoot.  :P

Raza

I drove a Saab 9-3 Arc 5 Speed a while back, and it was one of the more entertaining cars I've driven, for a front drive sedan.  As good as my Passat is, if I had the chance, I'd have snagged a 9-3 instead.  The ignition placement just kills me!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteI think Motor Trend got to 60 in 6 and a half seconds, which is a lot faster than a 9-3.  The new Jetta, after stroking the dash of that and the 9-3, definitely has better materials and fit and finish.
I still don't agree with the materials. I feel the 9-3 has much better materials. The 2005 9-3 dash is moot anyways, because the 2006 9-3 gets upgraded materials. Either way though, this has some personal preference to it, so it's not really something that is concrete.  ;)  :)

The 9-3's fit has always been a bit variable though. Like it all stays together well, but they seem to have designed a lot of placement position into it. It's very odd.  <_<
As I recall, the 9-3's interior is an ergonomic nightmare, but in a charming, very Swedish way.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

QuoteThe ignition placement just kills me!
That's the best part!

Raza

QuoteThe ignition placement just kills me!
That's the best part!
I know, I meant it in a good way.  When I'm on my own and am able to have two cars, one will be a Saab.  It's a must have in my lifetime.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

I'm left to ask:  what in the heck is VW thinking?  The new Jetta seems like a nice enough car, but it's just too darn expensive.  It's encroaching on Audi territory in price.  The same could be said about the new Passat.  Again, it's a nice car, but it's pushing into Audi territory in price and equipment.  Why would anyone buy a VW when they can get a similar car with a more prestigious Audi badge for the same money?  I mean, the A3 is basically the same thing as the Jetta mechanically (except it's a hatch instead of a sedan) and it costs the same money.  The Audi is also lighter, quicker and more attractive (IMO).  Why would anyone buy the Jetta GLI?  I just don't get it.  VW is VAG's lower end brand.  They need to stop pushing it upmarket into Audi country.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

I'm inclined to agree there, except to add that the Passat is a truly viable competitor even in that price range if the V6 is as good as initial reviews have indicated.

The Jetta is far out of its league in the high-$20Ks, it can't match the dynamics, luxury, or quality of the best cars in its price range. It has won out in reviews because of a lack of acceptance that the new Jetta doesn't compete with the same cars as the old Jetta.  

cozmik

QuoteI think Motor Trend got to 60 in 6 and a half seconds, which is a lot faster than a 9-3.? The new Jetta, after stroking the dash of that and the 9-3, definitely has better materials and fit and finish.

As I recall, the 9-3's interior is an ergonomic nightmare, but in a charming, very Swedish way.
I guess that depends. I think it is very ergonomic. Everything is within easy reach, you don't really have to press more than one button to do anything... there just are a few billion buttons.  :P  

Raza

QuoteI think Motor Trend got to 60 in 6 and a half seconds, which is a lot faster than a 9-3.  The new Jetta, after stroking the dash of that and the 9-3, definitely has better materials and fit and finish.

I guess that depends. I think it is very ergonomic. Everything is within easy reach, you don't really have to press more than one button to do anything... there just are a few billion buttons.  :P
As you own your car for some time, learned actions seem intuitive.  I bet some iDrive owners think it's intuitive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cozmik

QuoteI think Motor Trend got to 60 in 6 and a half seconds, which is a lot faster than a 9-3.? The new Jetta, after stroking the dash of that and the 9-3, definitely has better materials and fit and finish.

As you own your car for some time, learned actions seem intuitive.  I bet some iDrive owners think it's intuitive.
Actually for me it all seemed perfectly logical the first time I got in it, except the bass and treble controls on the radio, tunred out there are actual knobs for adjusting that, and I was looking throught the menus for them.  :P

I'm the type of guy who thrives on buttons and over technology though.  :praise:  :D  

Raza

Actually for me it all seemed perfectly logical the first time I got in it, except the bass and treble controls on the radio, tunred out there are actual knobs for adjusting that, and I was looking throught the menus for them.  :P

I'm the type of guy who thrives on buttons and over technology though.  :praise:  :D
The first time I got into the 9-3, I was overwhelmed by the amount of buttons that are there, and they're all over the place.  As a mag once said, while trying to change the radio station, they accidentally put a missile lock on th Buick in front of them.  I think it was Automobile.  

Don't get me wrong, the car's utterly charming..but I'm not your typical driver, and not as many people will agree with me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cozmik

The first time I got into the 9-3, I was overwhelmed by the amount of buttons that are there, and they're all over the place.  As a mag once said, while trying to change the radio station, they accidentally put a missile lock on th Buick in front of them.  I think it was Automobile.  

Don't get me wrong, the car's utterly charming..but I'm not your typical driver, and not as many people will agree with me.
Everyone who has seen my car has thought it was cool. But there is a difference between thinking someone's car is cool and actually thinking it would be something you want yourself.

I think that this is why Saab has simplified the interior of the 9-5 so much. It's 10x simplier looking.

Champ

QuoteI think that this is why Saab has simplified the interior of the 9-5 so much. It's 10x simplier looking.
Kind of like the 1994-2002 version of the 900 / 9-3

Raza

QuoteI'm inclined to agree there, except to add that the Passat is a truly viable competitor even in that price range if the V6 is as good as initial reviews have indicated.

The Jetta is far out of its league in the high-$20Ks, it can't match the dynamics, luxury, or quality of the best cars in its price range. It has won out in reviews because of a lack of acceptance that the new Jetta doesn't compete with the same cars as the old Jetta.
I agree.  The Jetta is a nice car, a good car, but it costs too much bloody money for it to do what it used to do.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

As for the mini comparo going on, i'd take a saab anyday over a VW.

As for the review, i don't know what to say.

I'm obviously not qualified to judge VW's in any way(i have driven several), but the mystical qualities are lost on me.

I seriously for the love of god can't figure out why anyone would buy a VW(the newer models moreso than ever). Other than the poor build quality, high price tag, subpar performance and now the rediculous styling(subjective, but many agree its horrible compared to previous models) i just don't see the attraction.

I guess its just the same old story from my corner.

SJ_GTI

I haven't been into following cars that long, but VW's have always been relatively expensive.

They offer cars that don't quite line up against competitors for the most part. The tend to be high-end fit and finish in smaller than normal packages.

People that I have seen buying Jetta's aren't deciding between a Jetta, A Corolla, or Civic. Its between an Accord, A Camry, and a Jetta. In that class the VW can match the other cars to equipment and refinement, and beat them at handling.

The only "economy car" that has come close to matching the refinement of a Jetta or Golf is the Mazda 3.

Would I buy a Jetta? Very doubtful. I can afford higher end cars so honestly I never considered em, and before I could afford higher end cars VW's were too expensive. But I can see the allure for other people. if I only had ~25k to spend on a car the GLI would make my short list, and could very likely win. More powerful and better style than a Mazda 3, smaller and more nimble than a TSX. Only other car in that class I could see buying over the GLI is the S40 T5, and frankly that's more about style than substance (I just like the way the S40 looks...reminds me of a bulldog.  :lol: ).