Full Test: 2006 Mazda MX-5

Started by BMWDave, September 09, 2005, 07:32:20 AM

TBR

You can do the same with the foot brake, you just have to use your heel for the brake and your toes for the gas, I pulled it off successfully the first time, but after that I couldn't get quite right after that.

footoflead

QuoteYou can do the same with the foot brake, you just have to use your heel for the brake and your toes for the gas, I pulled it off successfully the first time, but after that I couldn't get quite right after that.
Yea, but in our mustang the brake is alot higher than the gas (or the other way around) so it is almost impossible to heel-toe that car
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

I wanna try driving a stick in SF. :o

Raza

QuoteTonight I attempted to use the regular brakes when starting on an incline, it didn't work very well.
How big are your feet?  I find that mine are large enough to use the both to press down all three pedals efficiently (in some cars, I can push in all three with one foot).  That helps.  Also, if you are used to the stick, you can just bring it up to the point where it catches and bring your revs up very slowly, and release the brake and hold the car by the clutch alone.  I hear it's not great for the clutch and what not, but if you don't do it too much, I can't imagine it doing too much damage.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Why would you try to hold all 3 pedals with one foot? I used my left foot for the clutch and my right foot for the gas and brake,

MX793

QuoteWhy would you try to hold all 3 pedals with one foot? I used my right foot for the clutch and my left foot for the gas and brake,
:blink:  
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

QuoteWhy would you try to hold all 3 pedals with one foot? I used my right foot for the clutch and my left foot for the gas and brake,
What can I say, I am a little eccentric ;) :lol:

Actually, as you probably figured, that was just a typo. I am about to fix it.

Raghavan

:lol:  :lol:  

MX793

Yeah, I figured it was either a typo or you had some weird car with backwards controls or you're really talented.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Raghavan

Quote#3 of course :lol:
you wish. :rolleyes:
;)  :lol:  

TBR

Bet I'm better with a manual than you are  :praise:  

Raghavan

QuoteBet I'm better with a manual than you are  :praise:
Yeah.  :(
My mom doesn't want a manual tranny car. :angry:  <_<  

TBR

Which probably means she doesn't know how to drive one?  

Raghavan

QuoteWhich probably means she doesn't know how to drive one?
Yeah... My dad tried to teach her but she wouldn't learn...

TBR

It isn't that hard to learn good enough to get by in an emergency.

Raghavan

QuoteIt isn't that hard to learn good enough to get by in an emergency.
For some reason she said it's too hard, so we're stuck with autos. And i asked my dad if i could get a manual tranny car, and he said yes, but he said that he'd also steal it to take it to work... <_<  

footoflead

For some reason she said it's too hard, so we're stuck with autos. And i asked my dad if i could get a manual tranny car, and he said yes, but he said that he'd also steal it to take it to work... <_<
Tell her if an 11 year old kid who can barely get the clutch all the way in can drive a stick then surely she can do it..BTW i really did learn stick at 11, and i was a natural at it :praise:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Tell her if an 11 year old kid who can barely get the clutch all the way in can drive a stick then surely she can do it..BTW i really did learn stick at 11, and i was a natural at it :praise:
LUCKY!

footoflead

LUCKY!
I learned in our old 97 jeep 4 banger, and i would drive it around our 10 acre hay field until i was really good :praise:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MX793

I was 10 when I learned the art of the clutch, so right about the same age.  Although I learned manual transmission basics on dirtbikes and 4-wheelers and then later transfered it to cars and other vehicles with the 3-pedal control setup (vs hand controlled clutch and throttle with a foot shifter like a bike or quad).
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raghavan

LUCKY!
I learned in our old 97 jeep 4 banger, and i would drive it around our 10 acre hay field until i was really good :praise:
I wish i lived on a farm thingy. i could drive all i want in the wide open.

Raza

QuoteWhy would you try to hold all 3 pedals with one foot? I used my left foot for the clutch and my right foot for the gas and brake,
It's not that I'd want to, but I could.  I've got massive clown feet (not massive, but they're big).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

I was 10 when I learned the art of the clutch, so right about the same age.  Although I learned manual transmission basics on dirtbikes and 4-wheelers and then later transfered it to cars and other vehicles with the 3-pedal control setup (vs hand controlled clutch and throttle with a foot shifter like a bike or quad).
I really wasnt tall enough to actually try it in the jeep at 10, i had, however, been watching my father and my brother drive stick for a few years, so when it came time i just hopped in and took off on the first try. B)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

QuoteWhy would you try to hold all 3 pedals with one foot? I used my left foot for the clutch and my right foot for the gas and brake,
It's not that I'd want to, but I could.  I've got massive clown feet (not massive, but they're big).
What's your shoe size?

Raza

What's your shoe size?
13.  Not super huge, but if I go any bigger I have to start special ordering my shoes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

What's your shoe size?
13.  Not super huge, but if I go any bigger I have to start special ordering my shoes.
I've got 14's. :praise:  

Raghavan

What's your shoe size?
And still growing. :praise:  

Raza

What's your shoe size?
Good luck in small cars.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

What's your shoe size?
Good luck in small cars.
Yeah... I guess i'll have to drive shoeless...