Your top 5 mods for a daily driver

Started by sportyaccordy, October 30, 2010, 11:58:07 PM

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

I love the (pre Plastic bumper) C3s also! I'd take one of those over a C4 or C5 any day of the week!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Ha, oops I actually meant C2. But pre-'72 C3s are acceptable as well. :ohyeah:

68_427

My dad didn't put his in storage this year so hopefully we can get some work done in the interior.

I'm not sure if there's a better mix of badass and sexy than early C3 Corvettes.
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2010, 06:47:08 PM
My dad didn't put his in storage this year so hopefully we can get some work done in the interior.

What needs to be done?

68_427

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 01, 2010, 06:48:13 PM
What needs to be done?

The original owner got tired of the blue interior and had it changed to black.  Otherwise it's just kinda beat up, since it's been a driver for 40+ years.
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 01, 2010, 06:47:08 PM
Ha, oops I actually meant C2. But pre-'72 C3s are acceptable as well. :ohyeah:
The C2s are nice but I like the C3s better.I really like the C2 verts (side pipes are a must) but the hard tops aren't as sexy to me. Even the split window versions don't do much for me.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Ah. I need to paint all the interior bits of the El Camino black again. It was originally tan and someone painted it black, except they did a terrible job. So I'll have to prep it correctly and everything.

hotrodalex

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on November 01, 2010, 06:51:12 PM
The C2s are nice but I like the C3s better.I really like the C2 verts (side pipes are a must) but the hard tops aren't as sexy to me. Even the split window versions don't do much for me.

The one I saw yesterday was just perfect. Wasn't even a split window, either.

Xer0

I own an 08 Civic and I've been thinking about this more and more lately and my ending list looks something like this:

1)  HFP suspension.  Rides a little bit lower and a little bit harsher but really wakes up the sleepy Civic from what I've read.
2)  Tires.  The stock tires on the Civic suck major balls and it is in desperate need of at minimum a decent set.
3)  Allignment.  I guess this goes with the suspension but everything I've read on it points to the car needing a completely new allignment to feel the benefits of the new suspension bits.
4)  Sound System.  Nothing radical but the stock setup isn't too great.
5)  Something that I haven't thought of yet.

2o6

You need to start over with the PROPER transmission.  :devil:

:lol:

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on November 01, 2010, 08:14:22 PM
You need to start over with the PROPER transmission.  :devil:

:lol:

:cry:

I can't help that, might aswell work with the rest of it  :lol:

68_427

Quote from: Xer0 on November 01, 2010, 08:16:30 PM
:cry:

I can't help that, might aswell work with the rest of it  :lol:

You could trade 'er in for an Si.  Pretty much fixes everything.
'racecar is die'
no

Xer0

Quote from: 68_427 on November 01, 2010, 08:17:49 PM
You could trade 'er in for an Si.  Pretty much fixes everything.

Yeah but I'm in no rush for the extra cost burden that that would put on me.  The HFP parts are like $650 and a decent set of tires for the Civic will run me $500-600 which is a ton cheaper then getting a new car and losing out on the 2.5 years that I've already paid for in the Civic.

Now when the loan is over... :winkguy:

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 01, 2010, 02:26:27 PM
Yea lighting has to be done right, or not at all.

I am actually fascinated by lighting, and did some experiments with some sealed bulb fixtures. It's possible to run an HID bulb in an H4 enclosure, but it needs the proper shielding & positioning, and isn't as good as a projector anyway. I would either go full retro or just leave the lighting alone.

Rupert, I think there are some legit sealed bulb fitting HID projector kits out there.

I'm sure there are, but why would I bother with $Texas and uncertain results?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

r0tor

Accessport
Short throw shifter
Summer tires
Nice mellow exhaust
Save the rest of your money...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on November 01, 2010, 05:53:53 PM
:lol:  I like the way a Rotary sounds.. there's just nothing like the whirling noise of a Rotary and the effortlessness of it at high RPMs. 

But I don't see how you can place an LS6 lower and farther in the car than you would with the Renesis though.  The 13B-REW on the other hand, all the additional plumbing makes it big so I can understand.

The Rotary can probably use something like a TVS supercharger on it though.

Supercharged rotary....now that's something I can get behind.

And push, likely, after it runs out of gas leaving my driveway. 

But seriously, that sounds kickass.  The main reasons I didn't get an RX-8 are completely practical; gas mileage is horrendous (and at 25,000+ miles a year, it makes a difference) and they're too maintenance intensive (at 70 hours a week, I'm not in the mood to tinker or spend half a day doing preventative maintenance).  I'd be adding oil twice a month.   
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on November 01, 2010, 11:34:17 AM
I don't know about your model year, but I didn't know the OEM Potenzas that came with my old Rx8.  They were loud, and they performed poorly.  After I switched to RT615s... much much improved.  Even wet traction improved over OEM with significantly less road noise. 

Our 8s had re040 potenzas.... the newer ones have re050a potenzas which is what I swapped too and they are worlds better
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on November 02, 2010, 07:17:29 AM

But seriously, that sounds kickass.  The main reasons I didn't get an RX-8 are completely practical; gas mileage is horrendous (and at 25,000+ miles a year, it makes a difference) and they're too maintenance intensive (at 70 hours a week, I'm not in the mood to tinker or spend half a day doing preventative maintenance).  I'd be adding oil twice a month.   

It wasn't really that bad.  I averaged about the same annual miles that you do.  And I added oil about every 3000 miles or so.  Gas mileage is decent too since most of your commute is freeway.  I can do 24 mpg on all freeway. 

But I tend to drive around in 4th gear at 80mph so that kills the mileage a bit.. but not really that much.  That's the beauty of a rotary.. you drive around at high RPM and it doesn't sound like it's stressing at all.. it's music...

Rotary + Supercharger would sound like a UFO with a chainsaw.. :rockon:

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on November 02, 2010, 09:24:41 AM
Our 8s had re040 potenzas.... the newer ones have re050a potenzas which is what I swapped too and they are worlds better

Why didn't you go with R compound?

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on November 02, 2010, 10:27:05 AM
Why didn't you go with R compound?

They were on clearance at tirerack.... that and as a daily driver some treadlife was probably a good thing

sportyaccordy

Here's the dyno graph for a supercharged rotary lol

r0tor

actually, this is the dyno of a supercharged RX8

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 02, 2010, 01:03:36 PM
Here's the dyno graph for a supercharged rotary lol

I thought it was a chart showing how long it took you to get wood?

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on November 02, 2010, 07:44:39 PM
I thought it was a chart showing how long it took you to get wood?
Well, if you're powered by a rotary it would take a long time...and you will have to stop a lot to apply more lube.

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on November 02, 2010, 07:48:31 PM
Well, if you're powered by a rotary it would take a long time...and you will have to stop a lot to apply more lube.
No, with a rotary you hit max wood really fast. And it revs up much faster and smoother than a piston wood. Girls love it.

But you've got to stop and put fuel and lube on it all the time. And don't turn it off if it's still cold.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23472.msg1420499#msg1420499 date=1288703849

Weren't you going to move close to work and buy a sports car?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

1. Brum
2. Springs and shocks
3. Brum
4. Brum
5. Tires

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Byteme

Assuming I bought the right car in the first place I won't need any suspension, brake or sound system modifications. 

1.  Decent Radar Detector, hard wired and mounted near the upper part of the windscreen. Hard to see from the outside and no dangling wires. 

2.  Tinted windows.

3.  MP3 player.

4. Good driving lights if the car didn't come with them or if the stock ones are junk.

Nothing else I can think of

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2010, 09:25:14 PM
Weren't you going to move close to work and buy a sports car?

Yes.  I'm moving in two days, but it's still a 44 mile round trip.  

But when I considered the RX-8, it was 2008.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.