Your top 5 mods for a daily driver

Started by sportyaccordy, October 30, 2010, 11:58:07 PM

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on November 03, 2010, 07:58:01 AM
Yes.  I'm moving in two days, but it's still a 44 mile round trip. 

But when I considered the RX-8, it was 2008. 
That's not bad.. that's about 30 min each way

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on November 03, 2010, 11:38:49 AM
That's not bad.. that's about 30 min each way
That depends on traffic in his area. I drive 34 miles a day round trip on an Interstate and it takes me a total 90-120 minutes a day to go and come back from work.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on November 03, 2010, 11:55:53 AM
That depends on traffic in his area. I drive 34 miles a day round trip on an Interstate and it takes me a total 90-120 minutes a day to go and come back from work.

Yeah, my old commute was 20 miles, and it usually takes an hour or more.  My current commute is 6 miles, and it takes half an hour because it's all city driving.. I take partially freeway to avoid the lights.  I wish our government would understand how to sync the lights.. off topic..

So when's the 16x coming out?

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on November 03, 2010, 11:58:26 AM

So when's the 16x coming out?
I saw that Mazda said that it's been on the back burner because of the economic fuck up. They've been putting all their work into the SKY motors and stuff like that. As they should really.
However, a report about a month or two ago said that MPG has been increased a good amount in the 16X. Now I don't know if that will be true or not. And to be honest I really don't give a shit. I can buy gas obviously.

The problem is it's not passing the current goals for emissions yet. But they say they're still working on that. It looks like with 2011 being the last year of the RX-8, we'll have 2-3 years before
a new car will come out at best I think. Or they could have the car all but ready and just waiting for the motor for all I know.

Byteme

Quote from: Onslaught on November 03, 2010, 11:55:53 AM

Yikes.   I drive 27 miles each way and it takes about 35-40 minutes on average. 

Onslaught

Quote from: EtypeJohn on November 03, 2010, 12:24:08 PM
Yikes.   I drive 27 miles each way and it takes about 35-40 minutes on average. 
That's NC for you. Make an outerbelt  only 4 lanes in the most used parts. The rest of it is 6-8 lanes.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on November 03, 2010, 12:06:49 PM
I saw that Mazda said that it's been on the back burner because of the economic fuck up. They've been putting all their work into the SKY motors and stuff like that. As they should really.
However, a report about a month or two ago said that MPG has been increased a good amount in the 16X. Now I don't know if that will be true or not. And to be honest I really don't give a shit. I can buy gas obviously.

The problem is it's not passing the current goals for emissions yet. But they say they're still working on that. It looks like with 2011 being the last year of the RX-8, we'll have 2-3 years before
a new car will come out at best I think. Or they could have the car all but ready and just waiting for the motor for all I know.

Last I read, the fuel economy, power and emissions was not as good as they would like and they're looking to revamp that.

Oh, have you read about the Audi A1 based hybrid rotary?  It's similar to the Volt in concept, but instead of a piston engine, it has a single rotary engine to help maintain constant charge at low speeds. 

It's more for city driving though

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on November 03, 2010, 01:24:45 PM
Last I read, the fuel economy, power and emissions was not as good as they would like and they're looking to revamp that.

Oh, have you read about the Audi A1 based hybrid rotary?  It's similar to the Volt in concept, but instead of a piston engine, it has a single rotary engine to help maintain constant charge at low speeds. 

It's more for city driving though
http://rotarynews.com/node/view/1126

Like all things, until I can go buy one I won't hold my breath.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23472.msg1421000#msg1421000 date=1288792681
Yes.  I'm moving in two days, but it's still a 44 mile round trip.  

But when I considered the RX-8, it was 2008.  

Well, that's good. Why not, like, five miles from work?

And you can get a second car, yes?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Speaking of lighting upgrades, I have more 65watt H7 Rallyes on order since one burned out finally after a couple of years, as well as some 85watt selective-yellow H3s for my fogs, and an upgraded relay/wiring harness assembly so I don't nuke my factory wiring with them...

Rupert

Nice. I'm still waiting on 90/100W H4 bulbs and relays for the Porsche, and then I have to fix the fogs, order a new lens (cracked), and then paint them. I'm using the Dan Stern method of Duplicolor Metalcast Yellow-- it's supposed to very closely replicate the classic yellow lens color.

I got mounts ready for the Hella 500s on the Explorer (pain. in. the. ass.), and will hopefully get those installed this weekend. I might replace the fogs, too, since the stockers suck. Probably wait for $ > dust to do that. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

thewizard16

Quote from: Rupert on October 31, 2010, 11:01:29 PM
I don't have any experience with HID kits, but the knowledgeable-person hearsay I, uh, hear, is that they mostly just create glare for the other driver, which is obviously a bad idea. The amount of light is nice, but the aiming is really the most important part.
Not all the cars I've put them in are projectors and weren't originally designed for HID, but I make sure they're aimed properly and always test them a bit to see if they're glaring too badly. I also stick to a 5000-6000K temperature bulb for a little bit of that "trendy" look while retaining near maximum brightness. The people putting in those 8,000, 10,000, or even 12,000K bulbs piss me off. Headlights should not be purple, nor do you gain much light output from regular old fashioned halogens when you do that.

I think Silverstars are mostly a waste of money... I had them before the HID conversion and I didn't see what made them worth the extra money. Regardless, I have greater visibility and a whiter light with the HIDs than I did with halogens and no one seems to think they're blinding, so I stand by the decision. I was doing a lot of night driving a while back and with as many deer as there are and as curvy as the roads are, I feel the HID conversion was a very good investment.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

sportyaccordy

Couple of things on lighting

200W???? Damn

And here's what a good low beam pattern looks like

On my next car... retro or bust

Though a decent pattern is doable w/a decent H4 HID kit

Rupert

That looks like a lot of light for oncoming drivers. Also, photos of lighting are basically useless.

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 04, 2010, 07:31:18 PM

I can't stand how the left side is lower then the right. My RX-8 is like that too. I understand it's to not blind people driving at you in other cars. But I still don't like it.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Onslaught on November 04, 2010, 08:11:28 PM
I can't stand how the left side is lower then the right. My RX-8 is like that too. I understand it's to not blind people driving at you in other cars. But I still don't like it.
Yeah, that's how the Miata is and I don't like it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Rupert on November 04, 2010, 07:55:19 PM
That looks like a lot of light for oncoming drivers. Also, photos of lighting are basically useless.
Naw, it looks good. The cutoff line is angled down; drivers see minimal glare. And you can tell a lot about the light pattern based on its shape. The intensity is centered where you need it- at the center, which will be the beam in the distance on the road. It's a good low beam pattern.

Quote from: Onslaught on November 04, 2010, 08:11:28 PM
I think it gives the beam character. Kind of pointless though.  The whole beam is pointing down, so if it were even you could get more light and still not blind oncoming drivers.

Onslaught

One other thing I don't like about these lights is I know a road that has a large hill on it. And at the bottom of the hill it has a hard left turn that immediately starts going up another hill. When you get to the bottom and start the turn you can't see anything until the car is going up the hill again. You have a perfect line of light and then nothing above that. So I'm driving blind sometimes.

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 05, 2010, 09:18:18 AM
Naw, it looks good. The cutoff line is angled down; drivers see minimal glare. And you can tell a lot about the light pattern based on its shape. The intensity is centered where you need it- at the center, which will be the beam in the distance on the road. It's a good low beam pattern.
I think it gives the beam character. Kind of pointless though.  The whole beam is pointing down, so if it were even you could get more light and still not blind oncoming drivers.

The way to grade your lights is with an isocandela plot.

ChrisV

As to the original question, whatever the particular car needs to make it exactly how I want it. Sometimes wheels and tires are #1, sometimes a stereo upgrade is #1. Sometimes I only want minor visual cues changed, and other times, it needs more power or more responsive handling to be enjoyable. My BMW daily driver got wheels & tires, lowering, exhaust and visual mods.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on November 05, 2010, 09:34:47 AM
One other thing I don't like about these lights is I know a road that has a large hill on it. And at the bottom of the hill it has a hard left turn that immediately starts going up another hill. When you get to the bottom and start the turn you can't see anything until the car is going up the hill again. You have a perfect line of light and then nothing above that. So I'm driving blind sometimes.
In situations like that, high beams are warranted. If I'm out in the forest somewhere, high beams are pretty much a given.

S204STi

Heh, when I installed the new bulbs I also repaired some wiring that got a bit wonky over the last 4 years. Suddenly they are way brighter... I love it.

the Teuton

To PlastiCar?

1) Head unit with aux jack and MP3 player

2) Toggle switch for radiator fan

3) Upgraded rotors and pads

4)

5) ...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on November 30, 2010, 12:35:48 PM
To PlastiCar?

1) Head unit with aux jack and MP3 player

2) Toggle switch for radiator fan

3) Upgraded rotors and pads

4)

5) ...

For Plasticar:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CJ