Mystery light

Started by thewizard16, November 04, 2010, 10:20:34 PM

thewizard16

Well, I apparently need to stop "fixing" things. I replaced a few bulbs on the car the other day and things have been fine since. Today I replaced the foglights (which are not wired into any lighting circuit- they are completely on their own) after a minor fender bender killed the last set and now I have a problem I've never had before. Every time I press the brake pedal, the left turn arrow in the dash comes on (at about half brightness, but steady lit). The brake lights still function, the turn signals work fine, but it's really annoying and I can't find what's causing it. I pulled the bulbs I replaced out and put old bulbs in to see if that affected it, but the light still came on. I haven't unplugged the foglights yet (it's tricky to get to), but I did disconnect their circuit to see if they were somehow grounding something out (even though they're not on any lighting circuit/fuse), but it still did it.

I guess this weekend I need to pull all the bulbs and figure out one at a time if one of them is causing an issue, but that's going to be a real pain. Any ideas on what might cause this?
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

VTEC_Inside

Inspect the left rear tail light wiring/bulbs.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

thewizard16

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 05, 2010, 08:57:57 AM
Inspect the left rear tail light wiring/bulbs.
See, that's what I thought too but I couldn't seem to find anything last night. I swapped out the bulb (which is an aftermarket LED array, but it hadn't been causing any problems) for a traditional bulb and the problem remained. The turn signal bulbs have also been replaced in the last few weeks, but are still working and hadn't been causing any problems. I think what I'll do as soon as I can is pull ALL the bulbs and see if the problem persists. If it does, I'll know it's not a bulb at least. If it doesn't, I'll step by step add them back and see what happens. It seems like it must be a grounding fault somewhere, but I'm not sure where all to look. I also have had trouble with the spoiler light in the past (since a rear-end accident that messed it up), but it's been working fine too.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

thewizard16

Okay- so I took apart the left rear brake light assembly again (left the center tail light alone this time) and pulled the parking, turn, and tail/stop bulbs. The problem disappeared. So I put them back in one at a time. The problem did not return (yet, anyway). I'm a little stumped as to what may have caused the error, but it's magically gone for now.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Rupert

One of the bulbs wasn't in right, or had some dirt on the contacts.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

The bulbs got lonely and wanted to be fondled again.

The Pirate

Expanding on Psilos's thought - did you check/clean the contacts and apply dielectric grease when reinstalling bulbs?  Not that cleaning contacts and greasing contacts is definitely the fix, but it's going to rule out those connections if the problem does come back.  Plus, it's good practice.  I keep a little tube of dielectric grease right in the car so it's always accessible when needed. 

Also, on that note, are the battery terminals clean and free of corrosion?  I've seen weird electric gremlins disappear after cleaning and greasing the battery contacts.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.