Worst Sounding Engine

Started by 2o6, November 06, 2010, 01:08:31 PM

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on November 07, 2010, 07:16:05 PM
The Gallardo's doesn't, or at least the 5.2 L version doesn't, nor does the version used in the Audi R8 (I looked it up).

The Lexus engine is a perfect 72? vee: it doesn't need split journals. The Porsche is 68?, and off the top of my head I'm not sure but I think it doesn't have split journals either. I figure it's close enough to 72? they're not worried about the vibrations.

Correct, the 5.2 does not, although the related 5.2 used in the S6 and S8 does.  The 5.0 V10 did as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

- Viper doesn't sound good.

- Honda 4 pots literally sound like sewing machines.

- New Camaros sound good outside the car, but inside the car they are very muted and drone a bit.

- Anything with a fart can muffler.

Laconian

Oh yes, Harley engines. They sound like shit and HD owners are always much too enthusiastic about sharing that crappy arhythmic farting noise with the world.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

I don't know what you guys have against 4 cylinder engines, but the 1.8T and 2.0T sound great when you're pushing it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23516.msg1423383#msg1423383 date=1289242914
I don't know what you guys have against 4 cylinder engines, but the 1.8T and 2.0T sound great when you're pushing it. 

Many VW engines sound very good, especially the VR6.

SVT666

As do Subaru 4 pots and the SVT Focus 4 banger.  They growl.

Mustangfan2003

I don't know what you guys have against 4 cylinder engines

It's 4 cylinders short  :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on November 08, 2010, 09:55:46 AM
Oh yes, Harley engines. They sound like shit and HD owners are always much too enthusiastic about sharing that crappy arhythmic farting noise with the world.

Forgot about that. H-Ds are the worst. I secret laugh full well knowing that 95% of people think guys on loud H-Ds are complete tools. That such pipes tend to actually slow the bike down is poetic justice.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 08, 2010, 01:14:52 PM
Forgot about that. H-Ds are the worst. I secret laugh full well knowing that 95% of people think guys on loud H-Ds are complete tools. That such pipes tend to actually slow the bike down is poetic justice.
And how exactly, does no muffler slow the bike down?

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on November 08, 2010, 01:48:39 PM

Because the riders do not want to be deaf so they ride slower, and of course, hold up traffic because they're crusing in the passing lane.

MX793

Lack of back-pressure in a true, unbaffled straight pipe actually causes a drop in horsepower (and Harleys don't tend to have much to begin with, so they need all they can get).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Most I/C engines need a bit of back pressure to properly scavenge exhaust after combustion. Google the issue and you'll see volumes of information (it's complex, and beyond me without doing a lot of research). For an extreme example, try running a two-stroke engine without its muffler. Thing probably won't run, or if it does, will readily stall under load at low RPM (lack of back pressure kills low RPM torque).

After market exhausts that show an improvement in overall power usually do so at higher RPM and not uncommonly at the expense of low end torque. Without modifying gearing (lower) vehicle performance is not improved, and in some cases, actually decreased, especially when cruising or at part throttle or in sensitive applications (two-stroke engines, low RPM V-twins).

No automaker is going to botch exhaust design to hurt performance, as that implies restricting output, which implies lower efficiency (MPG). A modern automobile is a highly engineered system not easily bested by bolt-on parts out of a catalog.

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on November 08, 2010, 01:14:52 PM

...but Triumph bikes sound like mobilized sex on wheels.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on November 08, 2010, 02:56:55 PM
After market exhausts that show an improvement in overall power usually do so at higher RPM and not uncommonly at the expense of low end torque. Without modifying gearing (lower) vehicle performance is not improved, and in some cases, actually decreased, especially when cruising or at part throttle or in sensitive applications (two-stroke engines, low RPM V-twins).

No automaker is going to botch exhaust design to hurt performance, as that implies restricting output, which implies lower efficiency (MPG). A modern automobile is a highly engineered system not easily bested by bolt-on parts out of a catalog.

Depends on the exhaust system. Most of the ones you seem are just for sound, but there are quite a few options to increase power/back pressure (and usually still get a nice sound)

Mustangfan2003

Oh yeah anything with glass packs sounds bad. 

hounddog

I did not look to see if it was mentioned, but the 3-cyl. Geo engine has to be on this list.

It sounded like it was going to fly apart at every rpm it hit.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on November 07, 2010, 04:22:54 PM
This is incorrect and in the case of the Viper's engine not even physically possible.  The Viper's engine has the banks laid out at 90 degrees.  The crankshaft for an I5 or V10 has the crank journals set at every 72 degrees.  You'll never have two pistons at TDC at the same time with such a configuration.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.  The info here gives the firing order as...

Firing Order

1, 10-9, 4-3, 6-5, 8-7, 2 (unequal firing 90-degree and 54-degree intervals)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 08, 2010, 05:52:54 PM
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.  The info here gives the firing order as...

Firing Order

1, 10-9, 4-3, 6-5, 8-7, 2 (unequal firing 90-degree and 54-degree intervals)

I think that's a case of somebody trying to make the distinction between a 90-degree and 54-degree gap in the firing.  The only way for two pistons to fire at the same time is for them both to be at TDC at the same time.  For a motor with a 90-degree V, that means two of the crank journals need to be some multiple of 90-degrees apart.  The crank on a V10 (or I5) without split pins has the journals set 72-degrees apart.  You'll never have two pistons at TDC at the same time in such a configuration.

Now, if the banks were 72 degrees or if there was an 18-degree split in the crank journals, you'd have two pistons at TDC at the same time.  But even in that configuration, you wouldn't fire two cylinders simultaneously.  You'd want the two pistons that move together to fire alternately.  So when one piston is ending its compression stroke, it's partner is ending its exhaust stroke.  This makes the engine run more smoothly because you'll be getting one firing every 72-degrees instead of one twin firing (one "big bang") every 144 (as with an I5).
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on November 08, 2010, 06:29:27 PM
I think that's a case of somebody trying to make the distinction between a 90-degree and 54-degree gap in the firing.  The only way for two pistons to fire at the same time is for them both to be at TDC at the same time.  For a motor with a 90-degree V, that means two of the crank journals need to be some multiple of 90-degrees apart.  The crank on a V10 (or I5) without split pins has the journals set 72-degrees apart.  You'll never have two pistons at TDC at the same time in such a configuration.

Now, if the banks were 72 degrees or if there was an 18-degree split in the crank journals, you'd have two pistons at TDC at the same time.  But even in that configuration, you wouldn't fire two cylinders simultaneously.  You'd want the two pistons that move together to fire alternately.  So when one piston is ending its compression stroke, it's partner is ending its compression stroke.  This makes the engine run more smoothly because you'll be getting one firing every 72-degrees instead of one twin firing (one "big bang") every 144 (as with an I5).
I've often heard that the Viper 'fires-two-cylinders-at-once' but never really looked into the explanation.  In attempting to do so - there seems to be some difficulty in getting a clear explanation - it seems that, in fact, it does.  However, one of the pistons is at the exhaust cycle thereby invoking a 'wasted spark' ignition.  Now, in trying to understand the reason for that, it seems that it has to do with depleting the charge in the coil; as there are five coils, each coil fires two pistons.  As for the reason for a 90-degree and 54-degree alternating (odd) firing sequence, I now understand better the reasons for that.  If nothing else, I've learned a thing or two.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Northlands

Quote from: SVT666 on November 08, 2010, 09:14:25 AM
- Viper doesn't sound good.

- New Camaros sound good outside the car, but inside the car they are very muted and drone a bit.

- Anything with a fart can muffler.

:rage:

Wat?

IIRC, Sporty made a good point about 4 cyls and automatic transmissions. Listen to someone using a manual properly in a Honda 1.6 , 1.7 or 1.8 and they don't sound too bad at all.

Maybe I'll have to try and record the noise later in mine. It's mostly stock , so it won't have a retarded sounding exhaust note to cover the engine noise.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

thewizard16

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 08, 2010, 05:30:20 PM
Oh yeah anything with glass packs sounds bad. 
For the last two days, my car sounded even worse. Sounded like a raspy, slightly deeper toned, huge fart can was on the thing. People were polite enough not to stare at me when I drove home and then to the muffler shop though, thankfully.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on November 08, 2010, 12:01:54 PM
I don't know about this
But I know plenty about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzW8ECb5xWk

5% sewing machine (for smoothness), 95% zombie electric guitar hooked to some out of phase high tension power lines

4 bangers are generally pretty boring in sound to me, especially when turbocharged. But Hondas (or any 9K RPM 4 bangers) really know how to scream.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FoMoJo

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Disagree.

Corollas are the worst.

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on November 08, 2010, 03:34:48 PM
...but Triumph bikes sound like mobilized sex on wheels.

I got to ride a Street Triple with the Arrow exhaust... oh w0w... DO WANT!

S204STi

I think a lot of the problem with Honduhs is the poor selection of mufflers. I knew a guy at work who owned a CRX with the muffler missing. It sounded just fine; a bit louder but not buzzy or farty or drone-ey like those with coffee cans mounted.