VW needs an economy car

Started by Tom, September 09, 2005, 05:31:03 PM

Tom

Jetta- too much $$
Golf- not everyone wants a wagon or sport oriented hatch, too much $$
Beetle- no

How about something to compete in the 11-16k range.  Something with a 2dr, 4dr, hatch, and wagon offering?  Something that isn't necessarily luxury oriented?  

Secret Chimp

They already have two of those things in Europe - the Polo and the Lupo.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Tom

I was talking about the US of A specifically.  As long as they ditch the 3cyl, bring 'em over!

ifcar

I definitely think a sub-Jetta VW sedan is a necessary addition to the US lineup, and it would not be expensive to do so. But if they intend to keep moving upmarket (not defending this at all, FYI) the last thing they'll want to put the spotlight on is a new subcompact.  

280Z Turbo

Remember the good ol' days...

Raza

I definitely think it's time for a sub Jetta car, maybe based on the Polo or Golf (Golf is on the same chassis as the old Jetta, right?).  Actually, an upmarket shift like this just smells like adding a new, smaller car to the lineup.  VWAG has too many cars now vying for the entry-to-middle luxury segment, with VWs and Audis now overlapping price- and luxury-wise.  Bringing in another car to fill the Jetta's old hole (and a new car above the Passat but below the Phaeton) would fill out the VW lineup.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteI was talking about the US of A specifically.  As long as they ditch the 3cyl, bring 'em over!
Both the Polo and Lupo are hatches, if I recall correctly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Raza, the Jetta is still a Golf sedan. The US just hasn't gotten the version based on our new Jetta, but it's been available for at least a year in Europe, probably more. And I think there are sedan versions of either the Polo or Lupo, but I'm not 100% sure.  

Raza

QuoteRaza, the Jetta is still a Golf sedan. The US just hasn't gotten the version based on our new Jetta, but it's been available for at least a year in Europe, probably more. And I think there are sedan versions of either the Polo or Lupo, but I'm not 100% sure.
Yeah, but the Golf V is bigger, isn't it?  

I'm looking up the Polo and Lupo.  I'm quite sure there is no Lupo sedan, though it's a possibility on the Polo.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Okay, on the UK site, the Polo and Lupo are not listed as being anything but hatches, and they've also got a Jetta-type sedan called the Bora (they've got one in GT4, an AWD V6 model)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

The Bora is a renamed Jetta. And try the VW Mexico site for the Polo or Lupo sedan.  

bobwill

VW amuses me at times.  They charge a premium for their cars, but didn't they actually have a strike in their Mexican plant within the last year or so???  Nice to see the profits going to the workers, just like they said it would when NAFTA passed.  :rolleyes:
Seriously, what do you have to do in order to get the Mexicans to strike?  ;)  

Raza

Mexico's got something called a Pointer, which looks like a 5 door Lupo, but cheaper, no Lupo or Polo "sedan" but there is something called a Derby...

Derby

Pointer

They've also got a Jetta, and a Bora...

The Bora looks like it's the new Jetta.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteVW amuses me at times.  They charge a premium for their cars, but didn't they actually have a strike in their Mexican plant within the last year or so???  Nice to see the profits going to the workers, just like they said it would when NAFTA passed.  :rolleyes:
Seriously, what do you have to do in order to get the Mexicans to strike?  ;)
VW loses alot of money...if I recall, the only profitable company under the VWAG umbrella is Audi.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

QuoteOkay, on the UK site, the Polo and Lupo are not listed as being anything but hatches, and they've also got a Jetta-type sedan called the Bora (they've got one in GT4, an AWD V6 model)
The Jetta IV was called the Bora in Europe.  I believe the new Jetta V is also called the Bora.  The Jetta III was called the Vento.  "Bora" and "Vento" are both words associated with wind, as I recall.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

bo?ra   Audio pronunciation of "bora" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (b?r, br)
n.

A violent, cold, northeasterly winter wind on the Adriatic Sea.

I've got nothing on the word "vento", but I have to say, as far as windy words go, zephyr sounds a whole lot cooler than bora.  But thanks for adding another word to my vocabulary.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

The Derby looks about 1990-current, but with a restyle it could fit here.  

Raza

QuoteThe Derby looks about 1990-current, but with a restyle it could fit here.
Looks like it has a rear hatch, too, a la Mazda 6 five doorish.  Could get crossover appeal, but if they do give it a refresh in styling, and make it appeal on the same level as the last Jetta, it could be the car to sell here.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quotebo?ra   Audio pronunciation of "bora" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (b?r, br)
n.

I've got nothing on the word "vento", but I have to say, as far as windy words go, zephyr sounds a whole lot cooler than bora.  But thanks for adding another word to my vocabulary.
Vento may not be an English word.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

It sounds like a coffee size to me. <_<

93JC

QuoteIt sounds like a coffee size to me. <_<
That's because you've been brainwashed by the Evil Empire!

The work of Satan himself!! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU...!

... to stay the hell away from Starbucks, where a 'large' isn't a 'large', it's 'wind' in Italian.

ifcar

I have never paid $4 for a cup of coffee and never will. No worries there.  

bobwill

Quotebo?ra   Audio pronunciation of "bora" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (b?r, br)
n.

Sorta like
si?roc?co   Audio pronunciation of "scirocco" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (s-rk) also sci?roc?co (sh-, s-)
n. pl. si?roc?cos

1. A hot humid south or southeast wind of southern Italy, Sicily, and the Mediterranean islands, originating in the Sahara Desert as a dry dusty wind but becoming moist as it passes over the Mediterranean.

93JC

QuoteI have never paid $4 for a cup of coffee and never will. No worries there.
Oh good. :lol:

Just once I'd like to walk into a Starbucks and ask specifically for a LARGE COFFEE and see what happens.  :lol:  :praise:

Would the vacuous young man or woman at the till know what I was talking about? Would the vapid yuppie consumers around me gawk in bewilderment at my uncultivated request?

I think they would, but I have yet to test my hypothesis.

ifcar

I would expect them to just ask you to select one of their official names, but wouldn't like to spend $9 to find out.

93JC

QuoteI would expect them to just ask you to select one of their official names, but wouldn't like to spend $9 to find out.
I've played that scenario out in my head too.

"Hi, I'd like a large coffee."

"Sir, you'll have to order one of our sizes. Our cups are available in tall, grande and venti."

"No, I'd like a large."

"I'm sorry sir, but you have to give me your order in one of our sizes."

"....

LARGE...

COFFEE"

"Sir, I'm afraid--"

"COFF... EE... COFFEE."

:lol:

giant_mtb

God I hate that...I felt like a real Starbucks nOOb when I ordered a "medium" frap.  :lol:  

Tom

I went to take a look at by bro's new college campus.  The place is chock full o' Starbucks, each with a congregation of young, liberal college lads.

93JC

It's so easy to pick out your average Starbucks regular too.

17-30, white, short-to-medium length cropped hair (might be a little messy), wearing a tweed jacket and t-shirt underneath with some pinko anti-war or greenie slogan on it, black-rimmed glasses, and a single-strap backpack or bag (man-purse).

MX793

QuoteIt's so easy to pick out your average Starbucks regular too.

17-30, white, short-to-medium length cropped hair (might be a little messy), wearing a tweed jacket and t-shirt underneath with some pinko anti-war or greenie slogan on it, black-rimmed glasses, and a single-strap backpack or bag (man-purse).
It's a European Carry-all!
Needs more Jiggawatts