VW needs an economy car

Started by Tom, September 09, 2005, 05:31:03 PM

Raghavan

Threw that one in there to see what would happen.

:lol:
That scared the shit outta me. especially his head and his voice...

93JC

Never seen The Goonies, I take it.

Good movie, you should check it out.

Raghavan

QuoteNever seen The Goonies, I take it.

Good movie, you should check it out.
It looks like some low budget movie done in someone's backyard.

93JC

What?!

Naw man, it's fucking classic '80s. Directed by Rchard Donner (Lethal Weapon, Superman, etc), written by Steven Spielberg and Chris Colombus (Home Alone, Gremlins, first couple Harry Potter films), produced by Donner, Spielberg, Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy (Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall were the executive producers of Back To The Future, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, The Color Purple among other movies...).

Had Sean Astin ("Samwise Gamgee" from the Lord of The Rings films), Corey Feldman (Stand by Me, voice of Donatello in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Josh Brolin (James Brolin's son) and Ke Huy Quan ("Short Round" from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) in it, along with Joe Pantoliano ("Cypher" in The Matrix, "Ralphie Cifaretto" in The Sopranos, voice of "Luigi Goterelli" in Grand Theft Auto III) and Robert Davi ("Agent Johnson" in Die Hard, "Frank Sanchez" in Licence to Kill, voice of "Colonel Juan Garcia Cort?z" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City) as a couple of the bad guys.

Awesome movie. You really should see it.

93JC

More importantly it marked the screen debut of the Jeep Cherokee! :lol:

ifcar

I may have seen that. If it's what I'm thinking of, "Goonies" was one of the most pathetic attempts at filmmaking that I've ever encountered. <_<

Raghavan

QuoteWhat?!

Naw man, it's fucking classic '80s. Directed by Rchard Donner (Lethal Weapon, Superman, etc), written by Steven Spielberg and Chris Colombus (Home Alone, Gremlins, first couple Harry Potter films), produced by Donner, Spielberg, Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy (Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall were the executive producers of Back To The Future, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, The Color Purple among other movies...).

Had Sean Astin ("Samwise Gamgee" from the Lord of The Rings films), Corey Feldman (Stand by Me, voice of Donatello in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Josh Brolin (James Brolin's son) and Ke Huy Quan ("Short Round" from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) in it, along with Joe Pantoliano ("Cypher" in The Matrix, "Ralphie Cifaretto" in The Sopranos, voice of "Luigi Goterelli" in Grand Theft Auto III) and Robert Davi ("Agent Johnson" in Die Hard, "Frank Sanchez" in Licence to Kill, voice of "Colonel Juan Garcia Cort?z" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City) as a couple of the bad guys.

Awesome movie. You really should see it.
maybe i'll check it out...  

mazda6er

QuoteI may have seen that. If it's what I'm thinking of, "Goonies" was one of the most pathetic attempts at filmmaking that I've ever encountered. <_<
Way to let him down gently, if.  ;)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

MX793

QuoteI may have seen that. If it's what I'm thinking of, "Goonies" was one of the most pathetic attempts at filmmaking that I've ever encountered. <_<
You have obviously never seen "Supercross: The Movie".  A film with no real plot, no substantial acting talent, a lame script, and huge scene continuity errors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raghavan

You have obviously never seen "Supercross: The Movie".  A film with no real plot, no substantial acting talent, a lame script, and huge scene continuity errors.
Yeah, even the commercials looked horrible.

Raza

QuoteI'm working from memory. It's been a LOOOOOOOONG time since I've even approached a coffee shop, let alone a Starbucks.
I wear a messenger bag, can be caught in sandles, have not too short hair, often messy, but I avoid Starbucks as much as possible.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteHow'd this go from Jettas to coffee shops?
We got talking about the various names the Jetta goes under.

In Europe the third generation Jetta was named Vento ("wind" in Italian), which happens to be very close to venti ("twenty" in Italian). Venti is what Starbucks calls their largest cup size (as far as I know).

Coincidentally most Starbucks customers tend to drive either Volkswagens, Volvos or Saabs. :lol:
Or bicycles.  :D
Or, BMWs.  However, yes, my Passat would be very at home in a Starbucks parking lot.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

It's not what you're thinking of.

ifcar

It's not what you're thinking of.
If it's what I'm thinking of, I saw that movie years ago. It involved annoying kids competing with a set of criminals to find an old pirate ship.

Edit: IMDB confirms my suspicions.

Tom

QuoteIt's so easy to pick out your average Starbucks regular too.

17-30, white, short-to-medium length cropped hair (might be a little messy), wearing a tweed jacket and t-shirt underneath with some pinko anti-war or greenie slogan on it, black-rimmed glasses, and a single-strap backpack or bag (man-purse).
Man-purse :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

93JC

QuoteIf it's what I'm thinking of, I saw that movie years ago. It involved annoying kids competing with a set of criminals to find an old pirate ship.

Edit: IMDB confirms my suspicions.
You sir have poor taste in film if you think The Goonies is a poor film.  :praise:  

ifcar

Aside from including a Cherokee, what do you see in it?

93JC

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

QuoteChunk!  :rockon:
:lol:

Do the Truffle Shuffle!

Raghavan

FlatBlackCaddy

sorry to go back on topic but

I don't see any great success for VW in the mid teen range for a economy car.

Basically because of price alone, even their midsize offerings are general more expensive than other domestic and japanese competitors.

I just can't see anyone looking for a bare bones transportation piece paying a premium for the name and "performance" orientation.

ifcar

But it wouldn't be bare-bones, it would be a premium subcompact. I doubt it would have a smaller rear seat than the old Jetta either, it could be a reasonable alternative to standard econocars without being more expensive.

FlatBlackCaddy

True, but i guess my problem(that i see, but it hasn't effected them yet) is the low quality(reliability) at a premium price the car would have.

I know even in the mid to high teen range people want good features and a upscale ride. But most are looking for a few basic things, good price, good economy, and good reliability.

The only one i see the VW offering is economy(maybe class leading if this car is offered with a diesel).

ifcar

I think what it would lure consumers from most would be used Jettas, which don't have exceptional value or reliability either.  

FlatBlackCaddy

good point, and given the new direction of the recent jetta(larger, uglier IMO and alittle softer), vw does have a slot to make basically a Mk 3 or 4 replica for the small market.

One of the best things they could do is to make it truely more performance oriented(or atlest some modes), that would surely get some 3-4 year used jetta shoppers to look at it.

Raza

Quotesorry to go back on topic but

Basically because of price alone, even their midsize offerings are general more expensive than other domestic and japanese competitors.

I just can't see anyone looking for a bare bones transportation piece paying a premium for the name and "performance" orientation.
You don't know a lot of kids that drive Golfs or GTIs, do you?  I know plenty.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

I know a few actually, and they are all so oddly similar in there interests. I've always found it odd, its probobly just my area.

But i don't know what that has to do with anything.

TBR

I bet the ones you know aren't paying for the premium name tag themselves.