What Would It Take to Make You Stop Speeding?

Started by dazzleman, September 09, 2005, 08:55:15 PM

footoflead

QuoteHasn't happened to me yet, but i'd have a heart attack if it did.
Ha, why?  It's not like the officer is going to pull you out of the car and beat you with his night stick!   :lol:

Getting a ticket is a fact of life - it happens sometimes.  It's just unexpected.  But hey, oilfilter's lost cell phone (see General Talk) cost more than most speeding tickets.   ;)
My sentiments exactly.  I've had lots of things cost me a lot more than any of my speeding tickets ever did, so speeding tickets aren't too high up on the list of things I dread in life.  Would I rather not get one?  Sure.  But I'm not going to lose too much sleep when I do get one.

As far as the young guys are concerned, I never did get a ticket when I still had to answer to my parents for it.  They probably would have taken away my driving privileges at that point, or refused to continue insuring my car.  So I had to be a little more careful then.  Now I only have to answer to the state.

The bottom line is, unless you drive like an old lady, tickets are a fact of life.  I'd rather drive the way I want and get a ticket every so often than drive like an old lady and keep a clean license.  Everybody makes their choice.
Dude, i always ride my bike now, so i can't even get a ticket, and if i did, my parents would kill me. When i buy my own car, i'll speed all i want.
Trust me...rag you are not gonna enjoy those expensive tickets...speed will care!
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Ha, why?  It's not like the officer is going to pull you out of the car and beat you with his night stick!   :lol:

Getting a ticket is a fact of life - it happens sometimes.  It's just unexpected.  But hey, oilfilter's lost cell phone (see General Talk) cost more than most speeding tickets.   ;)
My sentiments exactly.  I've had lots of things cost me a lot more than any of my speeding tickets ever did, so speeding tickets aren't too high up on the list of things I dread in life.  Would I rather not get one?  Sure.  But I'm not going to lose too much sleep when I do get one.

As far as the young guys are concerned, I never did get a ticket when I still had to answer to my parents for it.  They probably would have taken away my driving privileges at that point, or refused to continue insuring my car.  So I had to be a little more careful then.  Now I only have to answer to the state.

The bottom line is, unless you drive like an old lady, tickets are a fact of life.  I'd rather drive the way I want and get a ticket every so often than drive like an old lady and keep a clean license.  Everybody makes their choice.
Dude, i always ride my bike now, so i can't even get a ticket, and if i did, my parents would kill me. When i buy my own car, i'll speed all i want.
Trust me...rag you are not gonna enjoy those expensive tickets...speed will care!
"Speed all I want" meaning I won't be nearly as careful. ;)  

footoflead

"Speed all I want" meaning I won't be nearly as careful. ;)
Well...I know i talk about the fastest i've ever gone...but remember that was on a deserted road ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

GMPenguin

Jeez, here if you go like 6 mph over they'll stop you.  :ph34r:

footoflead

QuoteJeez, here if you go like 6 mph over they'll stop you.  :ph34r:
Same here...only the cops go 10 over sometimes and if you go the same speed and they look at the speedo your getting the ticket-o ( :D )

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SaltyDog

Sadly, sometimes it's easier to go slow than watch out for cops.  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Why?

I've only gotten 1 ticket in my life, of course at the time I had my drivers license for only a few months, and the ticket was for 65 in a 35, so it was a $200+ ticket.

With gas prices the way they are I don't speed any more. I set my cruise control to the speed limit exactly and turn up my stereo.

I've heard that some of the more communist European countries link fines with income. Now that would stink.

I don't like to let the government steal any more money from me than they already do.

L. ed foote

QuoteSadly, sometimes it's easier to go slow than watch out for cops.
It's even easier to go fast, and take your chances  :praise:  
Member, Self Preservation Society

SaltyDog

If I did that it wouldn't be long before I wasn't driving any speed.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

dazzleman

I'm with Foote on this one.

There is a technique to speeding within reason that will generally mean that you won't even come close to getting nailed often enough for it to be a problem.

Remember, unless you're driving like you're on the Indy Speedway, one ticket is rarely a problem.  The problem comes when you accumulate several tickets within a short time period.  If you don't push the limits too far, you're unlikely to get tickets often enough for it to be a problem.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SaltyDog

There is a technique to speeding within reason that will generally mean that you won't even come close to getting nailed often enough for it to be a problem.

Remember, unless you're driving like you're on the Indy Speedway, one ticket is rarely a problem.  The problem comes when you accumulate several tickets within a short time period.  If you don't push the limits too far, you're unlikely to get tickets often enough for it to be a problem.
I don't disagree.  I try to keep it no more than 5-7 over in a 30mph-ish zone, 10 over in a 45mph-ish zone, and 15 over in a 65mph-ish zone.  That way you don't stick out from the flow of traffic and if you spot a cop it's easy to slow down even more before they get you.  If a wide open, cop-free stretch presents itself then no rules apply :rockon: (except for basic common sense B) )

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

dazzleman

Quote from: dazzleman,Oct 23 2005, 09:39 AMI don't disagree.  I try to keep it no more than 5-7 over in a 30mph-ish zone, 10 over in a 45mph-ish zone, and 15 over in a 65mph-ish zone.  That way you don't stick out from the flow of traffic and if you spot a cop it's easy to slow down even more before they get you.  If a wide open, cop-free stretch presents itself then no rules apply :rockon: (except for basic common sense B) )
I follow your same basic philosophy, though I have more liberal guidelines as to how far over the speed limit I will go.

But, it's those wide-open stretches that you think are cop-free where you're most likely to get nailed.  At least that's been the case for me, with my last couple of tickets.  I never get nailed in moderate traffic, though I've had some close calls.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

L. ed foote

AFAICT, you have quite a bit of time from flushing the cop to actually getting pulled over.

The key to getting away is knowing when you've flushed the cop and where you can get off or take any other sort of evasive action.
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

QuoteAFAICT, you have quite a bit of time from flushing the cop to actually getting pulled over.

The key to getting away is knowing when you've flushed the cop and where you can get off or take any other sort of evasive action.
Definitely.  Alertness is the key.

The last time I got nailed, I didn't realize that I had a cop after me.  It took him over a mile to catch up with me.  In that stretch, while we were not within sight of each other, there was an entrance to the highway (I-95).  Had I realized that I had passed a cop, I could have gotten on the highway innocently and been lost in traffic before he ever caught up with me.

Instead, I just drove along in blissful ignorance, thinking how lucky I was to be able to go so fast without any competing traffic.  My blissful drive was then broken by flashing red lights behind me.  :lol:  

footoflead

I don't disagree.  I try to keep it no more than 5-7 over in a 30mph-ish zone, 10 over in a 45mph-ish zone, and 15 over in a 65mph-ish zone.  That way you don't stick out from the flow of traffic and if you spot a cop it's easy to slow down even more before they get you.  If a wide open, cop-free stretch presents itself then no rules apply :rockon: (except for basic common sense B) )
I basically will only speed way over if...I know where the cops will sit if there are any and if the road is open...then its pedal to the metal...

I know my town really well since its considered a small town with a slight large town feel....so i know where to be careful...i also know the fun roads :rockon:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's