Top Gear thread

Started by Mustangfan2003, November 17, 2010, 09:32:40 PM

Onslaught

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 06, 2010, 12:25:49 AM
The one liners during the news was pretty lame. 
Yes, some of the jokes seem forced. I don't think the redneck guy can deliver them well when their on stage. He's better during the challenges and stuff.

And what's with the crowds on the show? I've seen the same Asian guys and one girl every time.  I don't mind the girl really.

Mustangfan2003

One or two Buick jokes may be fine but you get to a point where you need to stop. 

SVT666

This was a really good episode.  Rutledge's one liners during the challenge had me LOLing.

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT666 on December 06, 2010, 11:30:17 PM
This was a really good episode.  Rutledge's one liners during the challenge had me LOLing.

I think my beard is falling out!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on December 06, 2010, 12:22:36 PM
Then why do you like TGUK so much?  The ONLY pro driver they have is the Stig...and he doesn't talk.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I had no idea. :rolleyes:

That was my entire point. I just think it's cool to get feedback from a racer's perspective. It's one of the few things (maybe the only thing) lacking in TGUK.

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 06, 2010, 06:23:47 PM
But yes, very good episode!  I especially enjoyed the camping portion.  Chemistry is gaining, though I suspect they filmed that episode quite some time ago...?  Wasn't the off-road portion in one of the previews from months ago?

Yeah, that was included in the trailer released awhile back, but that's not that surprising. They always film the segments in the off-season for TGUK.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Onslaught on December 06, 2010, 10:23:29 PM
And what's with the crowds on the show? I've seen the same Asian guys and one girl every time.  I don't mind the girl really.

Haha... I hadn't noticed that. Are they wearing the same clothes? I wonder if they just filmed several episodes on the same day.

Vinsanity

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 07, 2010, 10:29:36 AM
Haha... I hadn't noticed that. Are they wearing the same clothes? I wonder if they just filmed several episodes on the same day.

Probably. I remember the audience taping took place over the span of about a week, and there were two taping sessions per day. Also, it's very possible that some people were able to book tickets to watch more than one taping session.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on December 06, 2010, 10:23:29 PM
Yes, some of the jokes seem forced. I don't think the redneck guy can deliver them well when their on stage. He's better during the challenges and stuff.

They likely filmed the several episodes' worth of studio segments in a single day.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

The boss 302 sounds.... ummm.... really frikkin good
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on December 07, 2010, 07:30:16 PM
The boss 302 sounds.... ummm.... really frikkin good
That is the understatement of the year.

giant_mtb

The crowd is disgustingly, annoyingly fake in their smiling and clapping.

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 08, 2010, 12:45:06 PM
:hesaid:
I said that after the first one.

MaxPower

I've only seen the drift and moonshine episodes but I think it's good. Especially when you don't compare it to TGUK, which has the benefit of years of experience and host interactions behind it.

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 08, 2010, 12:45:06 PM

That's true of about show shot with a live audience, including the UK version, IMHO.  The audience is directed, as are the presenters or actors. 

Ever notice how the UK version always seems to have the attractive gals with decent racks on the front row? I assure you that's not the luck of the draw.

giant_mtb

Quote from: EtypeJohn on December 09, 2010, 08:55:20 AM
That's true of about show shot with a live audience, including the UK version, IMHO.  The audience is directed, as are the presenters or actors. 

Ever notice how the UK version always seems to have the attractive gals with decent racks on the front row? I assure you that's not the luck of the draw.

Of course, I've noticed that as well, but the American audience is way too fake.  I mean, you can kind of tell that the UK audience is being "directed" in some way, but at no point do their applause, laughter, or smiles seem non-genuine.  They might know when things/jokes/transitions are coming, but they're nothing compared to the pathetically, fakely happy audience of the U.S. version.

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 09, 2010, 04:48:03 PM
Of course, I've noticed that as well, but the American audience is way too fake.  I mean, you can kind of tell that the UK audience is being "directed" in some way, but at no point do their applause, laughter, or smiles seem non-genuine.  They might know when things/jokes/transitions are coming, but they're nothing compared to the pathetically, fakely happy audience of the U.S. version.
I think what you're referring to is the editing.  They are editing out some of the questions and talking and splicing it together so it sounds totally fake....because it is.

Mustangfan2003

Looks like a good show minus Kid Rock. 

Rich

Sweet shots of the velociraptor. Still seems kinda cheesy, the only other episode I've seen was the first
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Mustangfan2003

Yeah it is a bit cheesy since these guys are trying too hard to be funny, but the segments are pretty good. 

Rich

The original Mercedes SL was the fastest car in the world?  Lol the SLS is such fail in comparison

The Pirate

They are getting critical of cars, which is refreshing to see.  Hopefully that doesn't screw the advertising income...

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rich

SLS clip was great. Exactly how I feel about the car, just doesn't do it for me

Mustangfan2003

Rich

Velociraptor on the track is awesome

Mustangfan2003

The truck did pretty decent out there.  I know it had 600hp but still. 

The Pirate

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 12, 2010, 08:37:18 PM
Velociraptor on the track is awesome

Yes it is!  Faster than I thought it'd be too.

Mustangfan2003

Only what about 10 seconds slower than the Evo?

r0tor

The raptor segment was pure win
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Mustangfan2003

Looks like they are doing a British Leyland type test with GM cars, should be interesting.