SVT Focus replacement

Started by SVT666, December 06, 2010, 10:03:19 PM

Don't get excited, I'm not replacing it yet.  But I've been looking at all the cars available on the market right now that I could replace my SVT Focus with in about 2 or 3 years.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP (6.3L V8, 415 hp)
7 (36.8%)
2009 Infiniti G37 Sport (3.7L V6, 325 hp)
7 (36.8%)
2008 BMW 550i (4.8L V8, 360 hp)
2 (10.5%)
2008 or 2009 BMW 535i (3.0L TT, 300 hp)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

CALL_911

When are you replacing your Focus?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

The G37 is indeed an extremely compelling package. The coupe is absolutely gorgeous. I wish those wheels (19") were available on the sedan.

Just as a note, the coupe has a different (louder, courser) exhaust.

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on December 11, 2010, 01:18:32 AM
The G37 is indeed an extremely compelling package. The coupe is absolutely gorgeous. I wish those wheels (19") were available on the sedan.

Just as a note, the coupe has a different (louder, courser) exhaust.

I'm sure you could make a deal with your dealer.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Shit man, sounds good. Have you driven the Bimmahs yet?

I drove the 1st gen G35s... a 6 spd coupe and the AWD sedan. Coupe had monster acceleration, and in the wet, the AWD sedan easily rotates. Manumatic was incredibly responsive + obedient in that too. Your post reminded me how much I like that car... one day...

SVT666

SVT666

The problem with the coupe Cougs is that I had to have the seatback quite raked just to fit comfortably.  The roofline is much lower and is not.a comfortable place to be for taller people.  I always wanted a coupe, but after driving it I would never buy it because I wasn't the least bit comfortable with that much rake in the seat angle.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on December 11, 2010, 12:06:40 PM
The problem with the coupe Cougs is that I had to have the seatback quite raked just to fit comfortably.  The roofline is much lower and is not.a comfortable place to be for taller people.  I always wanted a coupe, but after driving it I would never buy it because I wasn't the least bit comfortable with that much rake in the seat angle.

I would never buy the coupe either; too impractical for my life.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on December 11, 2010, 12:06:40 PM
The problem with the coupe Cougs is that I had to have the seatback quite raked just to fit comfortably.  The roofline is much lower and is not.a comfortable place to be for taller people.  I always wanted a coupe, but after driving it I would never buy it because I wasn't the least bit comfortable with that much rake in the seat angle.

How tall are you, and did it have a sunroof?

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 11, 2010, 02:02:57 PM

edit: nevermind
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 11, 2010, 02:02:57 PM
I'm 6' tall and it had a sunroof.  I powered the seat as far down as it would go and then had to rake the seat quite a bit for my head to clear the ceiling.  At that point I was leaning so far back that it wasn't comfortable anymore...and I felt totally gangsta.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on December 11, 2010, 03:34:37 PM
I'm 6' tall and it had a sunroof.  I powered the seat as far down as it would go and then had to rake the seat quite a bit for my head to clear the ceiling.  At that point I was leaning so far back that it wasn't comfortable anymore...and I felt totally gangsta.
You must have a really long torso. I'm 5' 10", and all my car related friends are taller than me... they fit in the old G fine.

But the back seat was essentially unusable... and we didn't mind a little gangsta lean :lol:

Why the stipulation on age?

J86

My old man, who is a little over 6'3", has problems w/ alot of cars because he has a long torso.  Sun roofs make things worse b/c then his head hits the roof.  He's always wanted a Miata, but everytime he sits in one his sightline is directly at the top of the windscreen.

Rupert

My dad's 6'4", and it's the same for him. I'm 6'2", and my head is less than an inch from the roof in the Porsche.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

J86

Quote from: Rupert on December 11, 2010, 03:43:35 PM
My dad's 6'4", and it's the same for him. I'm 6'2", and my head is less than an inch from the roof in the Porsche.

One of the benefits of bein' a short guy.  I fit great in anything!

FoMoJo

Quote from: J86 on December 11, 2010, 03:42:14 PM
My old man, who is a little over 6'3", has problems w/ alot of cars because he has a long torso.  Sun roofs make things worse b/c then his head hits the roof.  He's always wanted a Miata, but everytime he sits in one his sightline is directly at the top of the windscreen.
Sounds like me.  I sat in a Miata at the local car show the other year, and that's exactly where my sight line was.  I'd have to stoop to see properly.  My big problem is the door sills on most cars.  I always seem to hit my head on them when I getting in.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Door sills? How, exactly, do you think you're supposed to sit in a car?

:lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rupert on December 11, 2010, 03:48:44 PM
Door sills? How, exactly, do you think you're supposed to sit in a car?

I guess the brain is finally starting to go :confused:.  Must have hit my head too many times.

The top of the door opening :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 11, 2010, 03:39:42 PM
You must have a really long torso. I'm 5' 10", and all my car related friends are taller than me... they fit in the old G fine.

But the back seat was essentially unusable... and we didn't mind a little gangsta lean :lol:

Why the stipulation on age?
Yup.  6 feet tall with a 31" inseam.  My brother-in-law is worse off than I am.  He is 6'-5" tall and has a 32" inseam.  He has a '97 Camaro SS and can only drive it with the T-tops out.  He is relegated to pickups and SUVs otherwise.

Stipulation on age?  Of the car?  The 2011 sounds better and has much better transmission programming for the automatic.  I also don't want to be buying a car where it is at the point in its life that I need to start replacing stuff.  I want the car to be 2 years old max and low mileage.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on December 11, 2010, 03:34:37 PM
I'm 6' tall and it had a sunroof.  I powered the seat as far down as it would go and then had to rake the seat quite a bit for my head to clear the ceiling.  At that point I was leaning so far back that it wasn't comfortable anymore...and I felt totally gangsta.

Interesting. I guess I'll just have to sit in one sometime. Hopefully I can squeeze in, since I'd love to have one of these:

I've had to lean a seat back before, though. The new seats in my El Camino actually require that, since the brackets are a lot taller. It's not too bad since the driver's seat has height adjustment, but I brush my head in the passenger seat. At least I don't have to worry about sitting there. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on December 07, 2010, 09:19:42 PM
No, but the way these guys are talking, the damn thing will be in shop all the time.  Between my Focus, Explorer, Freestyle, Ram, Mustang, Sunfire, and Alero we have had our cars in the shop for repairs exactly twice in the last 8 years.  Both of those shop visits were for the catastrophic engine failure my Sunfire suffered.  The only other times the cars have been in the shop have been for wear and tear items like brakes and routine maintenance like a coolant flush and stuff like that. 

With these guys, it's like if it's not Japanese, it's an old MG that will constantly need to be repaired.  Seriously, it's not going to be like that.  Will you have issues?  Maybe.  If so, they will cost a bit to repair. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.