SVT Focus replacement

Started by SVT666, December 06, 2010, 10:03:19 PM

Don't get excited, I'm not replacing it yet.  But I've been looking at all the cars available on the market right now that I could replace my SVT Focus with in about 2 or 3 years.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP (6.3L V8, 415 hp)
7 (36.8%)
2009 Infiniti G37 Sport (3.7L V6, 325 hp)
7 (36.8%)
2008 BMW 550i (4.8L V8, 360 hp)
2 (10.5%)
2008 or 2009 BMW 535i (3.0L TT, 300 hp)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2010, 11:17:12 AM
How do you feel after I remind you that by all objective and subjective measures it's a better performing and driving car than any car you've ever owned?
How do I feel? The same way I did before reading this goofy ass post. And I doubt said Camry could outperform my 2nd Accord, which weighed 2700lb, had ~230 crank HP and a Neuspeed/Koni suspension... def a mid 14 second car with handling *slightly* better than a cruise liner like the Camry...

I know your only measure of performance is how well a car can hang w/ or beat a "wannabe rich entry level Germanmobile" in an impromptu stoplight race.... but some people enjoy changing directions....

Seriously... comparing a Camry or Malibu to a 550i or G37 in the category of driving enjoyment is fcking asinine....

2o6

Yeah, I don't understand why he says that.

Honestly, most all midsizers feel pretty comparatively disconnected in terms of driving experience. Even so, aside from outright speed, I don't really think a midsizer Camcord can out perform a sportier compact in the curves, comfort-tuned suspension and lots of body roll isn't exactly good performance......

2o6

SVT, what about a used CTS/STS(V)?

They're pretty nice, too.

Rupert

Quote from: 2o6 on December 09, 2010, 09:23:27 PM
Yeah, I don't understand why he says that.

Honestly, most all midsizers feel pretty comparatively disconnected in terms of driving experience. Even so, aside from outright speed, I don't really think a midsizer Camcord can out perform a sportier compact in the curves, comfort-tuned suspension and lots of body roll isn't exactly good performance......

He says that to troll us. Durr. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on December 09, 2010, 09:27:29 PM
SVT, what about a used CTS/STS(V)?

They're pretty nice, too.
I don't trust GM yet.  The only cars I've ever had that have had to make trips to the shop are GM.  My parents have ahd many problems with their GM cars too and they're pretty new cars.

2o6

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 09, 2010, 12:51:30 PM
How do I feel? The same way I did before reading this goofy ass post. And I doubt said Camry could outperform my 2nd Accord, which weighed 2700lb, had ~230 crank HP and a Neuspeed/Koni suspension... def a mid 14 second car with handling *slightly* better than a cruise liner like the Camry...

I know your only measure of performance is how well a car can hang w/ or beat a "wannabe rich entry level Germanmobile" in an impromptu stoplight race.... but some people enjoy changing directions....

Seriously... comparing a Camry or Malibu to a 550i or G37 in the category of driving enjoyment is fcking asinine....

Easy, bro.

Yet again you're carrying on with these straw man arguments. I never compared the "driving enjoyment" of those two classes of car.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on December 09, 2010, 09:37:40 PM
He says that to troll us. Durr. ;)

'Cause it's funny to see you turkeys malign a car for being "boring" when most you don't have a car that can't touch its "excitement" let alone performance.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2010, 10:26:58 PM
'Cause it's funny to see you turkeys malign a car for being "boring" when most you don't have a car that can't touch its "excitement" let alone performance.

Keep thinking that, sweetheart.

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 09, 2010, 10:23:06 PM

:wub:

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2010, 10:10:50 PM
Easy, bro.

Yet again you're carrying on with these straw man arguments. I never compared the "driving enjoyment" of those two classes of car.

"Objective and subjective" measurements.

That was driving enjoyment.

Rupert

I do.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

ifcar

A V6 Accord can be quick, but it isn't going to be exciting. Most of us who don't have remotely exciting cars are able to avoid denial about it, and you just sound stupid to the many forum members who do.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on December 09, 2010, 11:39:04 PM
I do.
Uhhh.  Me too.  Why would I go from a car as fun as my SVT Focus and get a Camry?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 09, 2010, 10:10:50 PM
Easy, bro.

You said a V6 Camry is a better performing and "driving" car than anything I've ever owned. One, a Camry V6 only outperforms in a straight line, two, as I said before you must not enjoy driving as you don't factor engagement or handling into what makes a car a good "drive".

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on December 10, 2010, 07:42:54 AM
A V6 Accord can be quick, but it isn't going to be exciting. Most of us who don't have remotely exciting cars are able to avoid denial about it, and you just sound stupid to the many forum members who do.

Tit-for-tat is can be agitating; that it exists isn't my fault, and I think I handle it rather maturely in the context it has to be mentioned for irony's sake.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2010, 09:27:44 AM
You said a V6 Camry is a better performing and "driving" car than anything I've ever owned. One, a Camry V6 only outperforms in a straight line, two, as I said before you must not enjoy driving as you don't factor engagement or handling into what makes a car a good "drive".

You're diverting the premise and creating yet another straw man; your claim was I compared the two classes of cars (not YOUR cars) but the 550i/G37 and Camcord (I did not) and I only went so for to say what I think constitutes "engagement" to say the Camcord is better performing and driving car than what most people on this forum drive.

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on December 10, 2010, 09:17:10 AM
Uhhh.  Me too.  Why would I go from a car as fun as my SVT Focus and get a Camry?

Heck, I'd even say my little beater Neon is a more fun car.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2010, 10:11:58 AM
You're diverting the premise and creating yet another straw man; your claim was I compared the two classes of cars (not YOUR cars) but the 550i/G37 and Camcord (I did not) and I only went so for to say what I think constitutes "engagement" to say the Camcord is better performing and driving car than what most people on this forum drive.

W/e.... you suggested a dull ass Camry/Accord V6 (not even the Accord coupe with the stickshift) to someone looking at a 550i, your opinion is null + void

FoMoJo

don't have a car that can't touch its "excitement"...I guess that would be a Lada :huh:...and you're right, most people don't have Ladas.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2010, 12:25:38 PM
W/e.... you suggested a dull ass Camry/Accord V6 (not even the Accord coupe with the stickshift) to someone looking at a 550i, your opinion is null + void

I accept your implicit bet - we'll see what car he ends up buying - an equivalent to a Camcord or an equivalent to a 550i...

Vinsanity

who wins if he gets a G37? that car pretty much splits the difference.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 10, 2010, 01:46:25 PM
G37 is much closer to say, a 535i, than a damn Camry

I'd say a new Mazda6 would split the diff

GoCougs

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 10, 2010, 01:46:25 PM

A divide by zero situation - the universe implodes.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2010, 02:17:35 PM
G37 is much closer to say, a 535i, than a damn Camry

I'd say a new Mazda6 would split the diff

:facepalm:  Not exact equivalent but very close and otherwise the exact same class of car: Camry = Accord = Fusion = Altima = Malibu = Mazda6, et al.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 10, 2010, 02:22:57 PM
:facepalm:  Not exact equivalent but very close and otherwise the exact same class of car: Camry = Accord = Fusion = Altima = Malibu = Mazda6, et al.

Within the same class... hell within the same model range there's a huge difference that wipes out "equivalency"... for example, the diff between a wallowy, numb, sparingly equipped Accord LX V6 sedan and an HFP suspension equipped, fully loaded 6 speed EX V6 coupe is literally night and day...

The fact that the only car in that class dude is even considering is the Mazda 6 shows there's little equivalency beyond drivetrain setups & the like, in the context of what SVT666 is looking for. To him, I'd imagine, a Mazda6 is closer to a G37S than to a Camry V6 (even with the SE "aero kit"), as both are actually cars he'd consider owning...

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on December 10, 2010, 09:17:10 AM

Exactly.

Vinsanity

come to think of it, a G37 is much closer to a 5-series, while a Mazda 6 is definitely closer to a Camry.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 10, 2010, 05:19:13 PM
Within the same class... hell within the same model range there's a huge difference that wipes out "equivalency"... for example, the diff between a wallowy, numb, sparingly equipped Accord LX V6 sedan and an HFP suspension equipped, fully loaded 6 speed EX V6 coupe is literally night and day...

The fact that the only car in that class dude is even considering is the Mazda 6 shows there's little equivalency beyond drivetrain setups & the like, in the context of what SVT666 is looking for. To him, I'd imagine, a Mazda6 is closer to a G37S than to a Camry V6 (even with the SE "aero kit"), as both are actually cars he'd consider owning...

Uh, in context (performance) the basic V6 Accord and loaded V6 Accord w/MT have the exact same suspensions.

As to your second point (Mazda6 closer to G37S than a Camry SE V6) if that's the case, he's dead wrong.

SVT666

I had some time to kill today and I test drove a 2010 Infiniti G37 and then a 2011 Infiniti G37 back to back.  To all those who complain about the VQ being a coarse sounding engine at higher RPMs needs to drive the 2011 car.  I think they redesigned the intake because it sounds completely different than the 2010.  The 2010 is higher pitched and somewhat coarse within 2000 RPM of redline...but the 2011 has an almost V8 quality to the growl of the V6 all the way to redline.  It sounds sweet.  The 2010's automatic doesn't hold gears, even in sport mode.  The 2011's automatic is damn near perfect, though the manu-shifting is about 700 RPM behind on upshifts under full throttle and the manual downshifts are kinda rough.  Left in sport mode, the transmission holds gears and seems to know exactly what I want it to do at all times.  The 2010 I drove was a coupe and it had paddle shifters which, I gotta tell ya, were a little quicker than the manu-shift with the stick...and surprisingly fun.  Much better than the paddles on the Camaro which were very slow to react.  I was very surprised by the handling.  The sedan was AWD so it didn't accelerate with the intensity of the RWD, but it was still a really fun car to drive.  The 2010 was RWD and I got the rear end out to the side at one point, and I got the "shiny side up" comment from the saleswoman.  The steering is just as good as my Focus but with one bonus....no torque steer.  That's saying something, because the the steering in my SVT Focus is the best I've ever experienced.  The seats are fantastic and have 6 different levels of heat.   With the driver's seat setup for me, I had plenty of leg room behind myself in the back.  The quality of interior materials is second to none, and the steering wheels is perfectly shaped.  

I'm sold on this car.  I will definitely be getting it in the US though because for 2011 the sedan is AWD only in Canada.

I was pleasantly impressed with the saleswoman.  She was about 30, really pretty, and knows a lot about cars....and has had two Mustangs in a row.  She replaced the turbo on her old Mazda RX-7 with help from a friend of hers and she knew what an SVT Focus was and exactly everything SVT did in modifications to the regular Focus.  If I wasn't married I would have gotten down on one knee right then and there.