The Scion xD thread

Started by ifcar, December 19, 2010, 01:10:46 PM

ifcar

I'm driving the forgotten subcompact for a week. Anything in particular I should be finding out about it?

http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-national/a-week-the-2010-scion-xd-introduction

WookieOnRitalin

-How big of a POS is it?
-How is it different from a Yaris?
-How crappy is the interior?
-Does it hit its market demographic?
-How does it fair against the competition (Fiesta, Fit, 2, etc)

I drove the new xB and I thought it was a POS. I cannot imagine the xD being much better. In fact, I much preferred the styling of the xA in contrast.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Xer0

My friend has an XD and generally I find it to be lackluster.  The backseat kind of sucks and I can never get comfortable in the front passenger seat as my knees always manage to hit something; be it the center console or the dash, and whenever I put the seat back enough for that not to happen my feat end up resting on an uncomfortable bump.  The doors feel flimsy and hallow too and I get a general feeling of ?cheapness? around the car.  I drove it once but I can?t remember much from the drive which is pretty standard fare in this class.  But the worst thing is that he told me his salesman told him that the car requires 89 octane because its ?sporty?.  W?T?F, that pretty much made me hate the car.

Mostly, I?m curious on your opinion of the seating and the space in the car.

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on December 19, 2010, 01:27:56 PM
-How big of a POS is it?

It's not. It's not outstanding, but it's thoroughly okay.

-How is it different from a Yaris?

It has the Corolla engine rather than the Yaris engine (up some 20 horsepower and .3 liters) and a much firmer suspension, and a speedometer in the right place.

-How crappy is the interior?

Certainly not great, but on par with the Fit in terms of quality. It's got some design/ergonomics issues, but the materials and assembly are fine for a subcompact. Interesting graining on the dash and door plastics.

-Does it hit its market demographic?

Of young people? Not really. Too small, too dull.

-How does it fair against the competition (Fiesta, Fit, 2, etc)

Sort of in the middle somewhere, based on my time so far. More pep than most, but otherwise nothing great, nothing dismal.

I drove the new xB and I thought it was a POS. I cannot imagine the xD being much better. In fact, I much preferred the styling of the xA in contrast.

There's nothing in common between the current xB and the xD. The xB is much larger.

ifcar

Quote from: Xer0 on December 19, 2010, 01:31:48 PM
My friend has an XD and generally I find it to be lackluster.  The backseat kind of sucks and I can never get comfortable in the front passenger seat as my knees always manage to hit something; be it the center console or the dash, and whenever I put the seat back enough for that not to happen my feat end up resting on an uncomfortable bump.  The doors feel flimsy and hallow too and I get a general feeling of ?cheapness? around the car.  I drove it once but I can?t remember much from the drive which is pretty standard fare in this class.  But the worst thing is that he told me his salesman told him that the car requires 89 octane because its ?sporty?.  W?T?F, that pretty much made me hate the car.

Mostly, I?m curious on your opinion of the seating and the space in the car.

It definitely doesn't need anything but regular fuel.

I rather like the front seats, though I haven't been in the passenger's side yet. Better lateral support than many other subcompacts, and cushy padding. I've read complaints that the cushions are too short but don't share them. One thing that the car does need is a height-adjustable seat -- that or a higher windshield, so I could see the stoplight without ducking.

In the rear, it's pretty good for such a tiny car. I wouldn't object to more headroom, but I fit all right. It's certainly no Fit/Cube/Versa -- they're midsize-roomy -- but it's better than the Fiesta or Mazda2, and on par with the SX4.

Atomic

scion actually has some of the nicest cloth seats, i think. i am especially impressed with the interior of the new coupe.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 19, 2010, 01:45:50 PM
It definitely doesn't need anything but regular fuel.

I rather like the front seats, though I haven't been in the passenger's side yet. Better lateral support than many other subcompacts, and cushy padding. I've read complaints that the cushions are too short but don't share them. One thing that the car does need is a height-adjustable seat -- that or a higher windshield, so I could see the stoplight without ducking.

In the rear, it's pretty good for such a tiny car. I wouldn't object to more headroom, but I fit all right. It's certainly no Fit/Cube/Versa -- they're midsize-roomy -- but it's better than the Fiesta or Mazda2, and on par with the SX4.

I thought the Mazda2's rear seat was more accommodating than the xD. But I'm also not that tall, either.